Gransnet forums

Chat

Happy Easter!

(70 Posts)
rosesarered Tue 31-Mar-15 20:45:55

Just wishing all Gnet a very happy Easter time,especially those who will be on their own next weekend, put your feet up, watch tv and eat a whole chocolate egg.

Mishap Tue 31-Mar-15 20:47:33

Thanks! - and to you. I am still reeling from the idea that it is nearly Easter - it has crept up on me at great speed!

pompa Tue 31-Mar-15 21:21:21

Here we are 1/4 the way through the year already, time seems to flash past the older I get. Easter is the time we sort the garden ready for summer.

loopylou Tue 31-Mar-15 21:25:59

Frightening isn't it? Sign of getting old according to my mother (thanks Mum!)
Don't forget-if the eggs broken the calories all fall out hmm..... Well, I believe it!

pompa Tue 31-Mar-15 21:31:25

Loopyloo, I have such regard for your expertise in matters relating to calories, I shall go smash all our eggs right away.

loopylou Tue 31-Mar-15 21:38:45

Enjoy pompa! tbugrin

Parcs Tue 31-Mar-15 21:42:02

Love Easter All that chocolate!!

rosesarered Wed 01-Apr-15 09:41:33

Hopefully, the weather will be better for the weekend.Does anyone remember the old saying that. 'If March comes in like a lion it will go out like a lamb' or vice versa? Well, it has gone out like a lion, with all the wind.

Teetime Wed 01-Apr-15 15:29:08

I love Easter - Good Friday can be sombre but come Easter Sunday it always feels like a new beginning and hope of some better weather. I hope you all have a good weekend and a little of everything you enjoy.

I had a practice Hot X Bun just now - Sainsbury's wholemeal one - very nice.smile

rosesarered Thu 02-Apr-15 19:39:09

I wonder if there will be anything worth watching on tv over the weekend?

Lona Thu 02-Apr-15 19:48:53

Happy Easter to all! tbusmile
I've nothing planned just want to get my 'get up and go' back on track.
sunshine

Mishap Thu 02-Apr-15 19:56:34

Where has it gone "Lona"?

ninathenana Thu 02-Apr-15 23:55:04

Mum and grannie always insisted on fish for Good Friday meal. Does anyone still do that ??

The family are coming for lunch Sunday. I have bought a small turkey.

Happy Easter tbusmile

rubylady Fri 03-Apr-15 00:30:36

I've got the fish in for tonight's tea Nina so yes, some of us still do it.

rosesarered Fri 03-Apr-15 15:13:31

Never heard of the fish for Good Friday (and I grew up in a Catholic household.)

Lona Fri 03-Apr-15 15:22:28

Mishap it's been a bit trampled on lately, but it's resurfaced today I'm happy to report!
Probably the chocolate helped tbuwink

Galen Fri 03-Apr-15 15:23:58

Me as well. Tinned salmon risotto tonight cooked by darling daughter who is staying until tomorrow. She's pescovegetarian anyway.

rosesarered Fri 03-Apr-15 15:32:51

Perhaps we were bad Catholics!

rosesarered Fri 03-Apr-15 15:33:14

I wouldn't be surprised.

Riverwalk Fri 03-Apr-15 15:45:05

roses I'm shock that you've never heard of fish on Good Friday!

I'm not Catholic but even I know! grin

Did you not have fish or cheese pie for school dinners every Friday?

Greenfinch Fri 03-Apr-15 15:51:16

We always had fish on Good Friday despite being non-Roman Catholics....and we still do.It is as much a part of the Good Friday tradition as Hot Cross buns.

hildajenniJ Fri 03-Apr-15 16:06:49

Yes, fish on Good Friday. We've had ours at lunchtime. I made pace eggs this morning, I made eight, all wrapped in onion skins and various petals, newspaper and old tights. They look lovely but three cracked. The broken ones we will have for tea today. The others are to be jarped on Easter morning, (a tradition in our house).

Greenfinch Fri 03-Apr-15 21:37:23

hilda Sounds interesting. Please explain pace and jarped.

Penstemmon Fri 03-Apr-15 22:25:24

Pace: hard boiled eggs decorated, jarped: each person has an egg and one holds an egg upright in their fist and the other person tries to crack it with the tip of their egg. The egg that does not crack is the prize egg!

I am always surprised how few people know or carry out what I always considered English /British traditional Easter customs: hot x buns /fish on Good Friday. Decorating eggs on Saturday. Egg (chocolate and boiled) hiding/finding cracking early on Sunday so you have hard boiled eggs for Easter Sunday breakfast with roast lamb for lunch, simnel cake for tea. Only say Happy Easter on Easter Sunday! As a child church fitted in between breakfast and lunch. When we got home from church that is when I would be given a chocolate egg tbugrin

I also have loads of Middle Eastern Christian Easter food traditions too which I try to continue. This year, because I have been away I have nothing remotely Eastery in my house. Going to be a busy day tomorrow!!

Greenfinch Fri 03-Apr-15 22:45:46

Thanks Penstemmon.I am wondering where the newspapers and tights fit in ?