Gransnet forums

Chat

It's British summer time......?

(42 Posts)
Katek Wed 01-Apr-15 08:17:42

Why is there snow on my car this morning then?!?

tiggypiro Wed 01-Apr-15 08:25:03

Probably for the same reason that yesterday it was...............

so dark I had to put the lights on in the house
so bright I needed sun glasses
sky black
sky bright blue
windy
dry enough to get a load of washing dry
wet enough to spin a load of washing again before it broke the line
and just to complete the picture we also had a blizzard whiteout.

Definitely British summer time !

Teetime Wed 01-Apr-15 08:37:15

Same here 'tiggypiro' drying duvet covers on the line on minute, hail the next. the golf season starts today so it looks like full riot gear (overtrousers, thermals and jacket) will be needed.
I bought a new maxi dress for the summer from M & S on-line and tried it on yesterday - fits beautifully but I am MAUVE!!!

Iam64 Wed 01-Apr-15 08:37:58

At least it's lighter in the evening grin. Well, unless you have the low, dark glowering clouds we had here in the north west yesterday. We happened to be driving over Saddleworth moor - scary!

Lilygran Wed 01-Apr-15 08:59:54

Yesterday we had
A howling gale on and off
Snow
Heavy rain
Bright sunshine
Light showers
Hail - enough to turn the grass white
We don't seem to have had any fog

thatbags Wed 01-Apr-15 09:08:47

As my nephew currently snowed up in upstate New York says "summer is a state of mind!" wink

Katek Wed 01-Apr-15 09:23:21

My state of mind had def turned to balmier days and then yesterday we get hail and sleet! Snow has melted from the car and it's now a pleasant spring morning.

Charleygirl Wed 01-Apr-15 09:40:08

It was so windy yesterday that I thought that I and my washing would end up a couple of streets away. Most of the washing dried but a quick shower caught me out.

I took a friend to the local Waitrose, she shopped, I stayed in the car and the car was rocking from side to side. Scary.

At least today the sun is out but it is cold again so the heating is on. Summer is definitely here.

annodomini Wed 01-Apr-15 09:41:04

Summer time - a matter of the clock. Summertime? Sometime!

NotTooOld Wed 01-Apr-15 13:41:43

Same here in South Staffs, wind, rain, hail......... but just spent satisfactory morning shopping Debenham's Blue Cross Sale online. Nearly as good as the real thing, some good reductions. I bought two tops, now just need warmer weather.

AlieOxon Wed 01-Apr-15 18:05:43

Not sure about summer. Spring, yes - some of the time.
My sleep pattern is still disturbed though.

henetha Wed 01-Apr-15 20:27:24

We musn't expect too much from April. It's always dodgy.

hildajenniJ Wed 01-Apr-15 20:31:21

Flanders and Swann's Song of the weather sums it up nicely! I stayed indoors today. The wind here although less than yesterday, was still very cold. I need some warmth on my bones.

nonnanna Thu 02-Apr-15 08:19:02

thatbags Snow in New York...eeek my daughter's off to get married there tomorrow. Her dress will definitely not be warm enough and as for those shoes, she'll never stay upright! I've been out gardening between the winds, hail and rail but it's bitterly cold in our north facing garden. Remember Gransnetters...Don't cast a clout til May is out. (And don't choose an off the shoulder wedding dress for an April wedding in New York)

nonnanna Thu 02-Apr-15 08:20:52

Rail?? Rain! There's no train track in our garden. Memo to self...always preview message before posting.

Katek Thu 02-Apr-15 09:49:19

Drove home from theatre last night through falling snow on country roads! Wipers frozen to window this morning but now it's a beautiful spring morning! Weird weather. Hope wedding goes well bags smile

Katek Thu 02-Apr-15 09:52:13

Oops...wrong gran, meant nonnanna! Message to self to preview messages also!

Elegran Thu 02-Apr-15 10:00:01

Not unique. I distinctly remember that it was snowing when my mother brought my baby brother home from hospital in April 1950. He was so wrapped up he was invisible. Met office on weather, April 1950

( Monthly reports from January 1884 to December 1994 here )

annodomini Thu 02-Apr-15 10:25:12

June 1975 is imprinted in my memory because DS2 was in hospital in Birmingham when the city centre was brought to a standstill by snow. At the end of the week the long heatwave began.

hildajenniJ Thu 02-Apr-15 10:45:37

I remember standing at a bus stop, shivering in the snow, waiting to go away for a long weekend in Derbyshire in the 1970's. It was snowing. When I got to Derbyshire, it was a lovely but cold day.

hildajenniJ Thu 02-Apr-15 10:53:10

Also, I was putting the finishing touches to the shawls I had crocheted for my bridesmaids. My wedding was in two weeks on 15th April 1982. I was having a lovely day, snuggled up beside the fire, watching the snow falling, and hoping that the weather for my wedding would be better.(It was! Beautiful day, rather windy and cool, the shawls were a good idea).

numberplease Thu 02-Apr-15 16:30:12

Well, we`ve got summer today, but how long for is anybody`s guess! It`s beautifully warm and sunny, what a contrast to the last few days of cold and high winds.

Ana Thu 02-Apr-15 16:33:22

anno, I'm sure the long heatwave was 1976!

loopylou Thu 02-Apr-15 16:36:17

Plain grey and chilly here, looking like rain's imminent.
Hyacinths and daffodils well flattened by the winds, I've cut a big bunch for indoors but would have preferred to see them in the garden.
No signs of slugs and snails yet, so I suppose that's a bonus!

Sparrowhawk has frightened all the birds away, it's sitting on the trellis as I write this. Beautiful but deadly bird, very supercilious pose.

loopylou Thu 02-Apr-15 16:39:02

Long heatwave was 1976, I was a student midwife pedalling around my pregnant mums in unbearable heat, on an old bone-shaker a la 'Meet the Midwife'!
I remember fields being completely brown with all the grass burned off by the heat.