Gransnet forums

Chat

Cartoon Characters.

(20 Posts)
Teetime Wed 01-Apr-15 08:34:31

The announcer on Classic FM this morning was asking listeners to call in with the cartoon character from their childhood/youth that they had wanted to be. Feeling the need for light relief I'm joining in on here. I wanted to be Aqua Marina (Marina, Aqua Marina la la la)as I couldn't swim. Did you have a favourite or one that you fantasised about being and why? smile

KatyK Wed 01-Apr-15 09:42:59

I always wanted to be Cinderella from the 1950s Disney film. I loved her beautiful blue ball gown and her blond hair and oh that cartoon prince grin

ninathenana Wed 01-Apr-15 12:39:03

Can I cheat ?

Not a cartoon but not real life either.......Lady Penelope. No cartoon character springs to mind.

Teetime Wed 01-Apr-15 15:15:56

Lady P would definitely have been my second choice so elegant and refined.

AnneSkinner Fri 10-Sep-21 07:24:34

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

FannyCornforth Fri 10-Sep-21 07:28:00

Reported AnneSkinners post
Reviving six year old thread to advertise

Josianne Fri 10-Sep-21 07:28:05

Snow White because having those naughty dwarves as friends looked fun! And I liked apples!

Josianne Fri 10-Sep-21 07:29:23

Well done Fanny. Sorry I missed the 6 year gap! Haven't woken up properly yet.

FannyCornforth Fri 10-Sep-21 07:32:11

It’s still a good thread though!
I’m surprised that it didn’t get more replies.
I don’t think that I wanted to be a cartoon character, but I lived, and still love, Peanuts. In fact, I’ve just bought some M&S Snoopy and Woodstock pants blush
That’s the second time I’ve advertised M&S this morning!

fairfraise Fri 10-Sep-21 07:53:29

I'm intrigued Fannycornforth. Just off to Google those. I can see myself a bit like Marge Simpson.

FannyCornforth Fri 10-Sep-21 07:56:59

Oh Marge is lovely!
An ex told me that I was like Lisa, which is no bad thing

fairfraise Fri 10-Sep-21 07:57:20

Sorry! You said pants not plants! Just had a look.smile

fairfraise Fri 10-Sep-21 07:57:52

Lisa always my favourite.

ElderlyPerson Fri 10-Sep-21 10:20:45

Teetime

The announcer on Classic FM this morning was asking listeners to call in with the cartoon character from their childhood/youth that they had wanted to be. Feeling the need for light relief I'm joining in on here. I wanted to be Aqua Marina (Marina, Aqua Marina la la la)as I couldn't swim. Did you have a favourite or one that you fantasised about being and why? smile

Thank you for introducing this topic.

As a result of your post I have now found there are a number of videos on YouTube featuring Aquamarina.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iULyLwvV-A

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD96RQ1-wnY

Searching on YouTube for

aquamarina stingray

lists several full episodes.

FannyCornforth Fri 10-Sep-21 10:22:21

Nice to see you back posting EP smile
All good wishes to you

Silverbridge Fri 10-Sep-21 10:36:21

It's an old thread but worth mentioning that Britbox has 39 episodes of Stingray to watch as well as other classic Gerry Anderson series. smile

Squiffy Fri 10-Sep-21 11:14:50

I can’t think of a character that I wanted to be, only think of one character that I wouldn’t want to be and that’s Olive Oyle. She used to drive me mad and I never understood what Popeye and Pluto saw in her!

FannyCornforth Fri 10-Sep-21 11:36:25

Squiffy you make a good point
If you think about it, there are precious few good female cartoon characters. Usually just the consort of the protagonist eg Minnie, Daisy etc
Perhaps that’s why I loved Peanuts, especially Marcie!

Squiffy Fri 10-Sep-21 12:57:51

FannyC I think you’re right. I’d not thought about it that way before - how very shallow of me!

Grannmarie Fri 10-Sep-21 13:11:52

Thank you for the videos, Elderly Person.

That took me back in time, to the living room of my childhood family home, watching Stingray with my brothers and sisters. Happy, carefree days.