Cynthia Lennon has died

(70 Posts)
KatyK Wed 01-Apr-15 16:55:44

Part of many of our teenage years I imagine

Grannyknot Wed 01-Apr-15 17:17:26

A very touching tribute by her son

www.julianlennon.com/cynthialennon/

Mishap Wed 01-Apr-15 17:20:57

Oh that is sad - it is so hard to imagine these celebs being so old. They are set in aspic in my mind as being young.

Ana Wed 01-Apr-15 17:30:41

Yes, I didn't think she was 75! She always came across as a very gentle and dignified person and I'm sure her family will miss her deeply.

NotTooOld Wed 01-Apr-15 17:37:14

She seems to have had a rotten life, doesn't she? Perhaps not, though, as I believe she married again. Did she have any more children?

J52 Wed 01-Apr-15 17:44:15

I once heard on the Radio, Paul McCartney describe how John left her and their son. Apparently, Paul helped her out financially, after she was left destitute.

She certainly came across as a dignified person. x

KatyK Wed 01-Apr-15 17:52:13

I think she married a further three times after John. Julian was her only child, they seemed extremely close. I read her book a few years ago. Obviously, it is her side of the story but it was so sad the way her and Julian were treated after he met Yoko.

harrigran Wed 01-Apr-15 19:33:57

Sad news, never did take to Yoko Ono.

NotTooOld Wed 01-Apr-15 20:13:22

No, that's one weird lady.

Deedaa Wed 01-Apr-15 23:07:58

Sorry to hear about Cynthia. She always seemed a very nice person.

MiniMouse Wed 01-Apr-15 23:24:53

Sad news. I've always thought of Yoko Ono as Yoko Oh No.

NotTooOld Thu 02-Apr-15 08:44:17

Heard this morning on the radio that Hunter Davis (Davies?) says Cynthia was very badly treated by John Lennon even to the point that he slept with Yoko Oh No (like it) in his and Cynthia's home. What a love rat and yet I love his music.

Marty Thu 02-Apr-15 08:56:14

Yoko Oh No (love it) always gave me the creeps.

Iam64 Thu 02-Apr-15 09:11:32

i saw on line this morning that Yoko's "tribute" to Cynthia included a photograph of the two women together, along with their sons. Yoko talked about the Beatles family. Yoko doesn't seem able to accept that not everything is about her

thatbags Thu 02-Apr-15 10:34:47

I definitely live(d) in a well-known-people-free bubble. I'd never heard of Cynthia Lennon till I saw this thread. I assumed she was connected in some way to John Lennon but beyond that zilch.

crun Thu 02-Apr-15 13:19:58

I think the demise of the Beatles had a lot to do with Yokos arrival:

I didn't hit him; I don't know why.

specki4eyes Thu 02-Apr-15 21:56:23

Good Grief thatbags you must be young! I was one of those teenyboppers who loved to hate poor Cynthia because he was married to her! They tried to keep her married status quiet at first so as not to mar the Beatles image.

She loved John so much and he treated her so badly.

What makes me laugh about Yoko is that she only found real fame and prosperity off the back of John - even more so since his murder. It was common knowledge at the time that they weren't even living in the same apartment! You would think that the Beatles' success was all down to her when you hear her comments.

Tegan Thu 02-Apr-15 22:32:46

But she's the only one still writing and performing these days [I don't really count Paul]; much as I loathe men who play away from home and leave their wives I do think she and John were soulmates and that The Beatles had run their course by then. She was way ahead of her time with conceptual [sp] art.I do agree that Paul was always the good guy, just as Keith Richards is in The Stones.I doubt if John was the easiest of people to live with. My best friend looked just like her at the time and we had such strange looks when we went out.

Falconbird Fri 03-Apr-15 07:23:19

So sad - Cynthia Lennon was only seven years older than me! She was part of our lives for a long time. RIP x

KatyK Fri 03-Apr-15 10:09:04

I was one of those teenyboppers too specki but my real inner venom blush was for Pattie Boyd as GeorgeI was madly in love (!) with George.
Strange how we see people so differently when we are older. I loved those years and am pleased I was a teenager in the '60s. RIP Cynthia. It was quite a life you had.

KatyK Fri 03-Apr-15 10:20:49

Tablet malfunction on my post above!

Tegan Fri 03-Apr-15 10:24:09

It wasn't just George; everyone seemed madly in love with Patti Boyd and I could never see what was so attractive about her. For some reason I was fine with Paul being with Jane Asher but Linda really bugged me. Strangely enough it seemed to be Ringo that ended up with really glamorous wives [although the woman that George eventually married is very classically beautiful].

rosesarered Fri 03-Apr-15 10:26:54

Perhaps it would be fairer to blame John rather than Yoko for the way he treated Cynthia?He was a strange and selfish man.

NotTooOld Fri 03-Apr-15 10:31:20

Tegan - I'm puzzled - why don't you really count Paul?

KatyK Fri 03-Apr-15 10:47:52

I agree roses. Julian was his son and he seemed to show a lack of responsibility or care for the poor boy (obviously we only know what we are told). Tegan - I can totally see what they saw in Patti Boyd. I SO wanted to be her, I thought she was lovely. Linda bugged me too.