Gransnet forums

Chat

Has anyone ever asked you?

(24 Posts)
Teetime Fri 17-Apr-15 09:26:34

I'm intrigued by live reporting on TV where 'ordinary' members of the public are asked their opinion on a variety of things. I have never once been stopped in the street by a person with a microphone desperate to hear my view on the price of fish. Have you- what did you say?

pompa Fri 17-Apr-15 09:37:26

Yes - I'm in a rush, some other time thanks.

soontobe Fri 17-Apr-15 09:41:19

No.
I have never been asked any sort of poll/advert/advice type questions.

merlotgran Fri 17-Apr-15 09:41:21

I'm rather glad I haven't because according to DGD1, they only pick the mingers grin

No offence, pompa grin

POGS Fri 17-Apr-15 10:31:56

I only asked a group of friends the other day if any of them had been asked by a polling company how they are going to vote. Not one had been asked! but I guess the odds must be huge to start with so not really a surprise.

I think the companies who produce the poll figures ask 1000 people don't they? Not sure where I heard or read that and of course they will vary.

I would love to be the interviewer rather than asked the question but the odds for that is zero.

tiggypiro Fri 17-Apr-15 10:41:38

They havn't asked me because I am not ordinary.

Jane10 Fri 17-Apr-15 11:51:24

Register with YouGov. They do all sorts of polls and it can be quite interesting.

petallus Fri 17-Apr-15 11:57:49

A few weeks ago I was stopped by an interviewer and someone with a camera and asked whether I thought the NHS needed more money investing in it.

It was for Channel 4 news. I said I didn't know but I'd had excellent service a few months ago when I had my hip replaced. I added I knew people who lived elsewhere who weren't so lucky.

I forgot to watch the news to see if I was on but I doubt it somehow. I think I was too positive about the NHS.

gillybob Fri 17-Apr-15 12:04:38

I remember when I was about 13. Me and my mum were shopping in the January sales and a camera crew from North East news stopped us in the high street.

"Can I ask you what bargains you are hoping to pick up today madam"?

My mum (wearing a sort of see through headscarf)

"Well Gilly and her sister need some new school underwear (actually I think she might have said knicks) so we're heading to Marks and Spencers"

It WAS shown on the local news and I was mortified.

Maggiemaybe Fri 17-Apr-15 13:06:11

Oi, merlotgran, or rather merlotgran DGD1! I was stopped in the street by BBC News, who wanted my opinion on a local crusade to raise awareness of dog dirt on the streets. I was interviewed next to a steaming pile with a shocking pink flag stuck in it.

I don't think the item made the cut. Perhaps I wasn't minging enough, though the poo sure as heck was. grin

merlotgran Fri 17-Apr-15 13:55:48

maggie grin

ninathenana Fri 17-Apr-15 16:34:06

I used to work for MORI doing both street interviews and knocking on doors back in the day when it was all hand written form filling.

I find it difficult to refuse a request for my opinion, knowing how disheartening it can be for the person doing their job. I have been interviewed in the street and at home.

DD and ex SiL were interviewed live on local radio regarding the employment situation after he was made redundant from the army.

janerowena Fri 17-Apr-15 21:29:44

My DD, two days ago, was interviewed for her thoughts on the NHS in particular, as she works for the CAB. grin It was lovely to be able to see her, as she is three hours away.

boheminan Fri 17-Apr-15 21:58:03

I was stopped by a TV camera crew in town and was asked how I felt about local facilities, and lastly whether it would be advantageous (my word, not theirs) to have a local TV channel. After answering questions about what's going on in town (my font of knowledge was unstoppablegrin!). I was pretty stumped over their last question though, as I don't have a TV. However, I've heard I'm on the new local TV News leader, but so far haven't seen myself on the telly sad

Teetime Sat 18-Apr-15 09:42:38

I'm reassured. I was beginning to think all these people were actors. I have an amazing range of opinions on most subjects but have never been asked. pity really as I could soon set the world to rights. smile

henetha Sat 18-Apr-15 10:08:58

No,but I would quite like to. Not much chance though down here in deepest Devon.

annodomini Sat 18-Apr-15 10:13:46

I was visited at the time of the last election - can't remember which organisation it was, but I had definitely heard of it. It was a very thorough questionnaire. I also do on-line polls for Yougov.

janerowena Sat 18-Apr-15 11:07:44

DD was asked where she would take the money from, to bolster up the NHS. She said she had been thinking about it for ages and still couldn't work out what she would do, so felt very sorry for whoever gets in.

crun Sat 18-Apr-15 13:57:25

I've never been accosted by a journo, but I got roped in by a market researcher once. I thought I was just going to answer a few questions, but no, after she'd gone through the questionnaire she asked me to taste test some new energy bars in the adjacent civic hall.

After I'd tasted one she started asking me to rate it out of five:

Crunchiness, Nuttiness, Fruitiness, Chewiness, Sweetness......

By the time we'd been through every adjective in the Oxford English I was losing the will to live, and didn't much care what it tasted like, at which point she pulled out another, and another.......

I give market researchers a wide berth now.

janerowena Sat 18-Apr-15 14:04:36

I was interviewed about local library closures a few years ago, but they didn't use me. I wasn't surprised, I am horribly unphotogenic. I was very relieved! The two outside the library waiting to pounce looked like schoolchildren!

apricot Sat 18-Apr-15 21:27:28

I was interviewed near Buckingham Palace, asked whether I liked Prince Harry. I have no interest whatever in the royal family but told them I adored him. I do hope it was never broadcast!

durhamjen Sat 18-Apr-15 23:37:54

Very weird, this. Someone rang me up yesterday and asked me about the NHS! I am sure you all know what I said.

absent Sun 19-Apr-15 03:01:15

When I was in my twenties and dressed up for a party my union colleagues were having to mark the successful end of our strike, I was accosted by a journalist and photographer from the Sun. They were asking for opinions about the Queen Mother who had a birthday approaching. They didn't want me to refuse because they had apparently not spoken to anyone under 70 during the course of the afternoon. I think I said something along the lines of her being a popular figure and a stylish woman. Then they asked me what I did for a living – they like to attach a tag to their "ordinary people". Journalist – although I worked on magazines rather than newspapers – didn't go down well.

When the interviews were published about a week later, I was described as "26-year old London beauty" – typical Sun lie – and, far worse, I was quoted as saying, "She deserves a medal for what she does", an expression I have never used in my life. The buggers also named the street and the area of London where I lived and I was inundated with mail and marriage proposals.

sunseeker Sun 19-Apr-15 10:03:20

A few weeks ago I was shopping when I noticed a camera crew just ahead - I quickly ducked into the nearest shop and ended up spending £50!! I hate having my photo taken and certainly don't want to be filmed!!