Gransnet forums

Chat

Is whistling dying out ?

(27 Posts)
NanKate Fri 24-Apr-15 22:13:40

It certainly isn't in our family. Over 100 years ago my fore-fathers started a Family Whistle which was used to get the attention of other family members. This whistle has been used by each generation since.

We were demonstrating it to our 4 year old grandson recently and explaining how it was a good way to find each other. I have just received a video of him whistling for the first time. He will need a bit more practise but the tradition has just passed to the next generation. smile

Do you whistle a good tune or use it like we do ?

Marelli Fri 24-Apr-15 22:20:36

I'm quite a good whistler, but the cat doesn't like it, so I don't really whistle much these days... sad !

AshTree Fri 24-Apr-15 22:25:58

I'm not so good at whistling these days as I was. The fellow next door whistles a lot, always sounds happy, but it makes me smile because I read once many years ago that a man who whistles has something to hide grin.

boheminan Fri 24-Apr-15 22:27:49

Interesting subject NanKate. I've seen and heard a blind guy that regularly busks locally, whistling to perfection - he makes enough money to live by. It's a sad fact that folk don't whistle so much now. I personally think that's sad. I can whistle a tune AND chirrup/screech with two fingers in the mouth but my children wouldn't have a clue as to how to do it sad

Ana Fri 24-Apr-15 22:29:10

Why do you ask, *NanKate? Has some survey or other suggested that whistling's dying out?

It certainly doesn't seem to be as commonplace as it used to be - possibly because all the workmen I come across seem to have their radios blasting out at top volume.

merlotgran Fri 24-Apr-15 22:39:50

I was sent to a convent school when I was eight (not RC) and being a tomboy I'd been honing my whistling skills since I was a toddler. Ronnie Ronalde would have been proud of me. Every time I was caught whistling in the corridor the nuns would make me stand outside in the rain because, according to them, Our Lady was hanging her head in shame at my behaviour. hmm

I didn't last long at that school grin

merlotgran Fri 24-Apr-15 22:40:32

I was not RC I mean. The convent was.

Ana Fri 24-Apr-15 22:44:02

Oops, sorry, I didn't mean that sort of whistling, nor did I mean to imply that it was only workmen who whistled while they worked!

janerowena Fri 24-Apr-15 22:44:52

You're right, I rarely hear it now.

AshTree Fri 24-Apr-15 22:55:40

Oh I am so envious boheminan - I've never been able to do the two-fingers-in-the-mouth whistle. I used to try so hard as a youngster but it just never happened envy

harrigran Fri 24-Apr-15 23:25:31

DH whistles, Ronnie Ronalde never had to worry about the competition though grin

Anne58 Fri 24-Apr-15 23:42:21

I can only manage a whistle on the in, instead of the out.

However, here comes confession time! I CANNOT STAND the random whistling done by a certain type of old man. It drives me potty to the extent that I would like to strangle them. blush

Anne58 Fri 24-Apr-15 23:44:03

Just to try to make a point clear, I love that whistling song thing by Roger Whittaker.

gillybob Fri 24-Apr-15 23:51:18

My 5 year old DGS has recently discovered he is quite a good whistler,much to the disgust of his 2 older sisters who have tried for years and can't do it. He can actually hold a tune too. He is so proud of himself he is walking around, hands in pockets whistling away. smile

Coolgran65 Sat 25-Apr-15 00:28:29

I can't whistle.
My DH sometimes whistles along with a tune on the car radio and I have to say I find it a very happy sound.

NanKate Sat 25-Apr-15 07:09:51

Ana there was an article in one of the papers recently and it was mentioned on the radio, that the art of whistling was dying out.

On another thread Ana you mentioned Boots cucumber cleanser, well I bought some and it is lovely and refreshing, thanks. smile

soontobe Sat 25-Apr-15 07:30:31

I was wondering that myself lately. I dont hear it as much as I used to.

mollie65 Sat 25-Apr-15 07:38:34

have always been able to whistle (one note!!) since childhood which is invaluable with calling/recalling 'lurch' so it must be at the right pitch for his doggy ears.
my son can whistle a tune and now grandson can also whistle quite well.
have always thought whistling a tune or more than one note is a male accomplishment (something to do with their physiology smile

PRINTMISS Sat 25-Apr-15 07:59:06

Our son, who cannot speak (although makes quite a lot of noise) quite happily whistles! I don't always catch it being deaf, but he obviously enjoys himself, not sure if he whistles a happy tune, or just does it because he enjoys it. For me, it is a pleasure to know that he can make a sound which he likes.

Greyduster Sat 25-Apr-15 09:08:52

I'm afraid I whistle quite a lot - always have. My mother hated it, which only made me want to do it more!

Marmight Sat 25-Apr-15 09:12:23

I whistle. It used to be through my front teeth but the little gap has strangely closed up over recent years so it's more like a raspberry grin. I now whistle in the usual manner by pursing my lips and blowing. Very satisfying!

ginny Sat 25-Apr-15 09:12:50

My Dad used to whistle. He was a postman and often had people saying they love to hear him as he delivered their letters. He did whistle proper tunes though not just random notes. Have to confess I do find my self whistling as I do house work or other things but, only when I am on my own.

Teetime Sat 25-Apr-15 09:32:37

I loathe whistling - its like nails down a blackboard to me. DH has a little whistle when he thinks I cant hear. His theory is I don't like it because I cant do it. Mine is that my mother used to whistle all the time and quite often over nice pieces of music- I could have strangled her.

janerowena Sat 25-Apr-15 12:41:55

I hate it too. Younger men don't seem to do it, but men of my grandparents' age did it a lot. As many workmen seem incapable of working alone without some kind of noise, my theory is that they did it when alone to stop feeling less lonely, but women were told it was unladylike. As the years passed and portable and car radios abounded, we have now entered a time of workmen leaving the van radios on at full blast and singing along to pop songs instead, while many women have the radio or a tv in the kitchen.

KatyK Sat 25-Apr-15 12:44:48

My brother-in-law is always whistling. it drives my sister mad. She is constantly saying 'STOP BLOODY WHISTLING' to him. He is a cheery soul by nature so I rather like it.