Gransnet forums

Chat

100th Birthday

(20 Posts)
Marmight Sun 26-Apr-15 10:46:31

My Aunt will, hopefully, celebrate her 100th birthday in August. She is throwing a party for her nearest and dearest at her golf club (she only gave up playing at 93!). Various things have been organised such as a ride on a golf buggy across the course to bring back memories and I am organising the telegram from the Queen and hopefully a photographer from the local press, but I am stumped as to what present to give her. She plays bridge, reads the Telegraph from cover to cover each day and polishes off the crossword by bedtime. She potters in her garden and tries to do some weeding shock. Apart from that she leads a fairly sedentary, minimalist life and watches little TV but revels in news of her increasingly large number of great great nieces and nephews.
Any ideas would be more than appreciated!

rosesarered Sun 26-Apr-15 10:49:59

Difficult one! a lovely silver framed photograph of various youngsters in the family? A bouquet of really special flowers, or an amazing plant, if she is a gardener ?a beautiful silk scarf?

harrigran Sun 26-Apr-15 11:10:45

My goodness Marmight your Aunt is a very special lady. We usually stick to flowers for the older family members but I think a photo album would be nice too. There are some good websites that will compile an album from your digital photos.

janeainsworth Sun 26-Apr-15 11:45:18

If she can do the Telegraph crossword would an iPad be a possibility?
Then she could go on FB and follow all the nieces/nephews!
And read the Telegraph online grin

How lovely Marmight to be early 100 years old and fit and well.

Mishap Sun 26-Apr-15 11:54:23

I too was going to suggest a photo of the whole family.

Stansgran Sun 26-Apr-15 12:09:35

Do The Telgraph do facsimiles of the day of your birth? She might find the comparison interesting .

loopylou Sun 26-Apr-15 12:24:34

Photo album of the family?
Subscription to The Telegraph?
What an amazing achievement!

soontobe Sun 26-Apr-15 14:07:21

A blank book, handed around weeks beforehand, with words and pictures and drawings from people invited to the party?
Somebody would have to be in charge of organising that.

baubles Sun 26-Apr-15 18:59:01

What a remarkable woman and how fortunate to still have her intellect at such an age.

If she uses DVDs you could get a compilation made up of family photos or videos perhaps?

I know some one who had a Life Book made for her parents, more or less a This is Your Life chronicle.

I'm off to have a look on tinternet, I'll be back.

baubles Sun 26-Apr-15 19:10:16

Good grief, I've just had a look at the price of the Life Book shock

What about something beautiful in cashmere, lightweight soft and warm?

Teetime Sun 26-Apr-15 19:25:24

MY MIl is 102 this year and still loves to be given jewellery especially big beads and silky pyjamas. I hope she has a wonderful day.flowers

annsixty Sun 26-Apr-15 19:32:06

My mother lived to 101 and 8 months and she loved new clothes. She had a big party on her centenary and flower arrangements were the favourite things she received but lovely clothes like a new dressing gown were a close second.

trisher Mon 27-Apr-15 11:04:46

How is she about pampering? You can usually find mobile therapists who will come to her home, so a manicure/pedicure, hairdo, make up before the party or a special day out with a massage and afternoon tea. I find as my mother gets older she doesn't want "things".

Marmight Mon 27-Apr-15 11:25:30

Thanks for all the ideas - food for thought. I think my cousin is doing the photo book thing and sadly I can't get a Telegraph from her birth date, so some of the other ideas have certainly helped. I would love to have a photo of all her GG nieces and nephews together but sadly half of them are on the other side of the world. Maybe I could get a computer wizard to fuse various photos together. Hmmm, just thinking out loud smile

TriciaF Mon 27-Apr-15 16:19:11

You still have plenty of time to get photos from the other side of the world, either by computer, or printed out by post.
When my favourite cousin in Canada had her Golden Wedding I sent some very old original photos to her daughters, who were preparing a family album. They scanned them and sent them back.
Your aunt sounds marvelous for her age.

Lilygran Mon 27-Apr-15 17:56:37

My DDiL did a lovely 'This is your life' type of book for my DM. She scanned the photographs and used a computer programme. I think you chose your own background and inserted your pictures and text.

Nannybelle Tue 28-Apr-15 09:06:04

You used to be able to buy a lovely frame just for the telegram. We bought one for my Grandmother for her hundredth. It wasn't cheap (about £60 from memory) but it was a beautiful gift and now she's passed on we have it as a lovely 'family heirloom'.

annsixty Tue 28-Apr-15 09:15:06

The telegram is actually a card which is a photograph of HM Queen. My mother lived in a village and the local Postmaster came in his "best suit " to deliver it with great ceremony. Really the whole day is such excitement that presents are a " very nice aside". So you really don't have to worry too much about it being perfect.

lefthanded Tue 28-Apr-15 12:53:23

My father celebrated his 100th birthday on the 10th April. We had two parties, one on his actual birthday in South Wales where both he and I live, and another the following week in Kent where we also have a lot of family members.

He was a regular soldier both before and during the war, so I contacted his old regiment (actually their modern counterpart) and they sent him an engraved plaque with his name, rank and number and the inscription "100 years and still on parade. From your comrades in the King's Shropshire Light Infantry". He was absolutely thrilled with it. Does your Aunt have any similar service history?

He was adamant that he did not want ANY presents for his birthday, but rather asked for contributions to be made in his name to Guide Dogs Wales. If anyone feels that they would like to donate to this worthy cause you can find his Just Giving page at www.justgiving.com/Frank-Greig1/

J52 Tue 28-Apr-15 13:21:51

How wonderful to be 100 congratulations to them all. Our relatives have never quite made that magical birthday, although some have got near.

For an elderly Aunt who was having a significant birthday, we bought her pampering treats from Penhaligans. Not cheap! But were used by HM Queen Mother. The perfumes are all wonderfully flowery and old fashioned. They come in beautiful bottles and can be gift wrapped in a splendid box and sent direct.

She was delighted that we thought she'd still like pampering in her later years! x