Gransnet forums

Chat

Things that you are scared about with the new Tory Government

(268 Posts)
soontobe Sat 09-May-15 17:21:10

I have seen a number of posters express deep concern about the conservatives having full power for the next 5 years.

Is it worth having a thread for posters to list their concerns?

I am not sure that other gransnetters can put their minds at ease at all, as it may be a case of wait and see what the conservatives do.

GrannyTwice Sat 09-May-15 17:30:45

Soon - we don't need a separate thread - we are voicing our concerns on various threads as it is. And no one can put my mind at ease - the Queen's Speech will be here very soon and then we can have another bunfight a discussion on that. It's interesting listening to the pundits talking about this at the moment and what he'll go for in his first 100 days.

soontobe Sat 09-May-15 17:32:59

ok.

12Michael Sat 09-May-15 19:06:25

Think if the last Budget is including Welfare Cuts to Benefits, this may include Carer things for elderly, Bus Pass, and what I was told by THFOP tax threshold for older people you will pay the same tax as someone who is in 30-40`s and in full time employment.
Its work till you drop Tory's if you are between 62- and 100 + you will loose out on those benefits you get.
Mick

soontobe Sat 09-May-15 19:13:38

All genuine concerns I think.

Bez Sat 09-May-15 19:45:53

The tax threshold for pensioners was always higher than the normal population but that may have been after a certain age - for last couple of years the pensioner threshold has remained static waiting for the threshold to gradually rise for everyone else. The only reason I could see for the higher threshold was that it in effect gave the pensioners a rise without the gross money rising. Most pensioners if getting a pension in addition to the state one will pay standard rate.

Leticia Sat 09-May-15 20:09:49

I hate the plan to have 'right to buy' in social housing.
I worry about vulnerable people losing benefits and being told to work when they are not fit.
The bedroom tax is highly unfair.
I can't stand the education policies and think Michael Gove was the worst education secretary ever- very, very damaging.
I shall be very upset if they let grammar schools extend. I would get rid of all grammar schools.

Leticia Sat 09-May-15 20:11:00

I can't think why I missed off the future of the NHS when that is top of the list!

annodomini Sat 09-May-15 20:47:13

I agree with you, Leticia all the way, especially about Gove's education 'reforms'.

merlotgran Sat 09-May-15 21:04:34

Oh not another thread about the bloody election angry

rosequartz Sat 09-May-15 21:05:10

I am a bit concerned about the European referendum.
Do we know enough to decide? And all the implications?

rosequartz Sat 09-May-15 21:06:40

Merlotgran I am only joining in because I have had two glasses of shiraz (sorry blush the merlot ran out)

loopylou Sat 09-May-15 21:07:20

A few more political threads and GN will sink sad
I suppose we have 4 more years of this merlot

merlotgran Sat 09-May-15 21:07:34

grin rose Have one on me wine

Ana Sat 09-May-15 21:07:49

I think we should be told! Now! In detail!

Ana Sat 09-May-15 21:09:45

(although to be fair to the OP, it wasn't her fault others picked up on YET ANOTHER opportunity to stick the knives in...hmm)

soontobe Sat 09-May-15 21:09:58

rq - I think there will be a year or whatever of lots of different ways to learn much more about the European referendum.

Tegan Sat 09-May-15 21:10:34

The Labour Party were going to stop the implementation of a lot of Goves ideas; as it stands curriculums and exams and all sorts of things are going to change which involves a lot of work for already overworked teaching staff and no one can see how it's going to improve anything.

merlotgran Sat 09-May-15 21:12:33

Why should anyone be scared?

There won't be a knock at the door at midnight (unless you're growing cannabis in the attic)

Ana Sat 09-May-15 21:12:59

soontobe, I think your sense of irony may need working on grin

loopylou Sat 09-May-15 21:15:47

Gloom-mongers having a field day on GN, I need wine wine wine

Leticia Sat 09-May-15 21:17:38

I equally had no faith in the Labour Party and their policies for education. (At least they would be committed to comprehensives and not the dreadful 11+ selection.)
No one can be as bad as Gove- one would hope.

Ana Sat 09-May-15 21:18:34

I agree, merlot, what a lot of cobblers! 'Frightened', 'scared', 'dreading' - are people really quaking in their boots? May as well go to bed and pull the covers over their heads for the next five years if they are.

soontobe Sat 09-May-15 21:19:27

I started the op, for people to express their worries about the next 5 years. Which I think they are doing.
I hadnt really thought through a potential tory bash element, but I dont really think there is any of it.

I was possibly expecting some posts from people who are near the breadline, as well as other tory concerns. It is good to talk about fears?!

Ana Sat 09-May-15 21:21:25

Not sure there are many GNetters near the breadline, soontobe, although there may be.

Why are you so nosy anyway? You're getting on my nerves.