Gransnet forums

Chat

Ear worms.......

(83 Posts)
Katek Thu 21-May-15 11:25:51

Drive me nuts! It can be a stupid song from an ad or an old pop song or even a piece of classical music, but one phrase gets stuck in my head and goes round and round and round! Today it's a piece of Puccini.

Anne58 Thu 21-May-15 11:38:59

I know exactly what you mean KateK I'm a martyr to them! And the awful thing is, it can sometimes be a song I hate!

Katek Thu 21-May-15 11:50:05

Likewise! The other day it was the song from that stupid ad with the guy in shorts and stilettos repeating ad nauseam

felice Thu 21-May-15 11:56:01

I think of the most complicated recipe I can, think through the list of ingredients then the method, works every time.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 21-May-15 12:01:25

I like ear worms. I often invent my own. Hum it over and over. Soothing.

NanaDenise Thu 21-May-15 12:09:46

GD1 when asked by DD2 to put some music on her ipod for a holiday did so. When DD was cruising down the Nile listening to daughter's choice, she was treated to a rendition of Little Bunny Foo Foo, a notorious family earworm.

I believe she may have suffered a small sense of humour failure at the time. We were all amused until we went around singing it for days after.

If you don't know this delightful tune, you can hear it here.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=a84IowoW00w

pompa Thu 21-May-15 12:28:26

My current one is :-
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z26BvHOD_sg

Keep singing it, driving Mrs P mad.

joannapiano Thu 21-May-15 12:37:52

I love Little Rabbit Foo Foo !
Our choir is currently practising Mr Blue Sky (ELO) and that often goes round and round my brain. (Complete with guitar solo).

Ana Thu 21-May-15 12:49:11

Guitar solo? In Mr Blue Sky? confused

MiniMouse Thu 21-May-15 12:59:28

pompa just clicked on your link. I can think of worse earworms! What an amazing voice smile At least it's got rid of Little Rabbit FooFoo grin

glassortwo Thu 21-May-15 13:15:02

Little rabbit foo foo was one of our favourites.

On Cbeebies rhere is a program call Raa Raa the noisy little lion and I just have to hear a snippet and its qith me the rest of the day.

Raa raa you are a noisy little lion, raa raa you are louder than them all. In the jingly jangle jungle noise. You are the noisiest little lion. Raa raa ...

joannapiano Thu 21-May-15 13:18:50

Yes, Ana, in my head there is a guitar solo! grin

Ana Thu 21-May-15 13:22:36

Oh, I think it's a synthesizer solo in my head! grin

whenim64 Thu 21-May-15 13:36:59

I can wake at 5am to The Wheels On The Bus or the Hampson Hughes ad jingle - there's no override in my brain that discards unwanted tunes. The other morning it was Sidewinder by REM - I really like that one, but not when it's the same bit over and over again. Concentrating on something to distract me wakes me up completely.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 21-May-15 13:40:16

Little Bunny Foo Foo is not gonna do it for me!

I've got a Rod Stewart one at the moment. Don't know where it came from!!

My version is fairly unrecognisable. hmm

hildajenniJ Thu 21-May-15 13:44:03

Why oh why is "She wore red feathers and a hula hula skirt" going round in my head. Where did it come from, I'm the wrong sex to be singing it, but anyone entering the men's toilets this morning while I was busy would have heard it. Arrgh!!! grin

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 21-May-15 13:47:32

I think I will take johanna's on board for the afternoon #gardening #sunshine

AshTree Thu 21-May-15 13:56:03

They drive me crackers. I have a default tune that goes round and round from morning till night - 'Yesterday'. I wouldn't mind if it was the original version which I love (or I did!), but it's a kind of ridiculous stylised 'poppy' version that my head seems to have made up just to annoy me. It includes various notes from the instrumental backing, equally popified.
I try to download another song - any other song - into my head, but before long, Yesterday has wormed its way back in with a vengeance. Aagghh angry.
I have thought of having hypnotherapy to remove it grin

Ana Thu 21-May-15 14:01:22

(you were right, joannapiano, it is indeed a guitar solo! grin)

Judthepud2 Thu 21-May-15 19:24:43

And mine today is 'Boom!' Sung by Petula Clarke! shock I watched a programme last night about French popular music and she was on it singing this. I loathe it!!

I wonder why so often my ear worms are really annoying pieces of music!

rosesarered Thu 21-May-15 20:58:05

Katek, you mean.... don'tcha Wish Your Girlfriend Was Hot like Me?
haha now I have put it back in your head!grin

rosesarered Thu 21-May-15 20:59:40

Yes, ear worms are annoying things, the other day I had Wake Me Up Before You Go Go in my head all day long after hearing it on the radio in the morning arrrrrgh.

Ana Thu 21-May-15 20:59:57

roses, you are the cause of one of my extremely-hard-to-get-rid-of ear worms every time I see your name! grin

rosesarered Thu 21-May-15 21:08:42

grin

rosesarered Thu 21-May-15 21:09:43

I could have called myself Lavender Blue, even worse!