Gransnet forums

Chat

Senior Moment Alert!!

(42 Posts)
sunseeker Sat 23-May-15 15:16:11

Just tried to lock the garage with my front door key and open the front door with my car key - I'm beginning to think I'm not safe to be out on my own!!

aggie Sat 23-May-15 15:23:14

Years ago I was called to get into the house of a comatose relative as I had the key , I was so uptight that I kept trying the wrong key and decided that the said person had put the snib on ! OH gallantly climbed a ladder and got in the bathroom window , person was revived and comforted and we went home where I hysterically tried to open our door with the key I should have used earlier ............... it was me needed revived and comforted then ................... and I could swear I was an intelligent younger person then , goodness knows about now !

Charleygirl Sat 23-May-15 15:23:48

sunseeker almost snap. I was trying with great difficulty to get into somebody else's car in a covered car park yesterday. The only match was the car colour! Thankfully nobody saw me. My own car was a fair distance away- it was not next door. I also should not be allowed out.

rosequartz Sat 23-May-15 15:36:35

I spent a while looking for my car in a car park the other week, only to remember that I had changed it about two months ago blush

rosesarered Sat 23-May-15 16:57:13

Drove all the way to the supermarket the other day, rooted in my handbag for shopping list and discovered no purse!Had changed handbags and left the purse on the hall table.
About a month ago, did the shopping, came home and discovered the shopping list I had used was an old one still in my handbag from about a month previously.DOH!The new one was in there as well of course.

Marelli Sat 23-May-15 17:39:31

I received an emailed invoice for a rather nice bag on eBay the day. For the life of me, I cannot remember putting a bid in for it...... confused!

loopylou Sat 23-May-15 17:41:09

That's a good excuse Marelli
Not sure my DH would swallow it grin

Ana Sat 23-May-15 17:51:30

Actually, that's a bit worrying Marelli! Perhaps you're eBaying in your sleep...shock

loopylou Sat 23-May-15 17:58:26

[whispers] I've received parcels, particularly books, that I'd forgotten I'd ordered.....and fibbed to DH to try and cover my purchases.

DF sneaks presents in to her house thinking her DH won't know but he's told me he knows where her stash is hidden grin

harrigran Sat 23-May-15 18:09:52

Yesterday I got an email confirming a table for two at a very nice hotel, it was for afternoon tea. I thought DH was being very romantic, turns out they got the wrong Mr and Mrs harri we were next on the list on their data base. Just as well DH queried it because the message also said " if you do not turn up at the appointed time we will charge you ten pounds per person " cheeky.

Marelli Sat 23-May-15 18:12:42

Well, the other night was a bit of a sleepless one for me, Ana, and I was on and off GN, Facebook and eBay, just browsing (unfortunately, not drowsing)! I would have had to have concentrated just a bit, though, to put a bid in. I must have put a maximum bid in, way before the end, then completely forgot about it.

Iam64 Sat 23-May-15 18:28:33

Very cheerful OP sun seeker - I empathise

jenn Sat 23-May-15 18:34:30

I tried changing telly channels with the phone and picked up the remote to make a call,my excuse,they are both black with buttons!!

Eloethan Sat 23-May-15 18:51:22

Went to touch in at the tube station with my bank debit card instead of my Freedom Pass and didn't realise straight away why the barrier wouldn't open. Felt very silly.

annodomini Sat 23-May-15 18:52:09

Doesn't everyone do that, jenn? grin

Ana Sat 23-May-15 18:54:24

I've tried to pay for things with my Tesco Club Card before now - well it is blue, like my debit card!

Marelli Sat 23-May-15 18:57:45

Showed my bus pass to driver and informed him of my bank pin number instead of my destination shock.

Bellanonna Sat 23-May-15 20:36:03

Such reassuring posts. I've done most of those things. A common one is pointing the car key at the front door then hoping the neighbours didn't notice. I have often tried to "break into" another car in sainsburys car park, not even the same make as mine, and as for using the phone to switch channels..... a common occurrence. All those incidents have slightly worried me at the time but I feel a bit better about them now. My OH has also asked why I have reading glasses on my head and on my face. Well,I didn't know why either.

AshTree Sat 23-May-15 23:17:48

I tapped the edge of a page in a book the other day expecting it to go to the next page as it does on the Kindle hmm

AshTree Sat 23-May-15 23:22:15

Many years ago while staying at my mother's house with the DC one summer, she was preparing dinner - she took the saucepan of potatoes off the hob, opened the cutlery drawer and strained the potatoes into the drawer. She realised almost immediately but couldn't seem to stop doing it amid the convulsed laughter of all of us in the room.

ninathenana Sun 24-May-15 01:51:22

My built in fridge/freezer is next to a larder cupboard the same size. I very often open the f/f instead of the larder or the other way round.

Those of you that point the phone at the TV, do you try and answer the remote ? My mum used too smile

Envious Sun 24-May-15 02:29:36

I've reached to take my glasses off when they already were! blush

MariClaire Sun 24-May-15 07:10:21

What a relief I'm not alone grin. I recently came home from a trip to open a parcel of beautiful slacks from one of my shops. I don't need any black slacks. As I was working myself up to a "this isn't funny anymore" state (sound familiar anyone?) I tried on the slacks, and became even more alarmed by their unusually large size and high cost!! Fortunately, it quickly dawned on me to check the addressee. Not me. But, a very (laughably) close call nonetheless blush

Jomarie Sun 24-May-15 15:55:54

Oh AshTree - thank you so very much for your post - I am literally crying with laughter !!! Felt very miserable this afternoon a bit sorry for myself so went on Gransnet to cheer myself up and it's worked - your post was the best tonic - thanks again. smile smile

pompa Sun 24-May-15 16:21:36

I keep trying to open the dishwasher to put plates etc in, shame I removed the dishwasher a week ago because we are having a new floor laid. hmm