Gransnet forums

Chat

I wish I could...

(44 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Sun 24-May-15 10:30:48

...sit at the kitchen table and eat half a loaf of seeded bread thickly spread with butter and chunky cut orange marmalade.

But it's Sunday and there's a dinner to cook. hmm

Anyone else got any "I wishes"?

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 24-May-15 10:31:46

Oh, and, of course, I would get fat!

henetha Sun 24-May-15 10:33:05

I wish I could buy a new car, a new television recording box and a new mobile phone, as they all have gremlins at the moment!

annsixty Sun 24-May-15 10:50:01

I wish I could turn the clock back, but as that probably isn't the thinking behind the OP, I wish I could sit in the garden and not think about what really should be done in the house.

janerowena Sun 24-May-15 11:08:19

I wish I could eat about four home-made rolls spread thickly with nice butter and home-made marmalade and drink four large mugs of coffee. Those were the days...

The reality is, two boiled eggs on their own, followed by a Sunday only treat of one slice of GF bread with healthy spread and a thin scraping of marmalade. And decaff coffee because I have been overdoing the coffee lately and it had a fight with my hayfever medication so kept me awake for several nights as I could hear every single heartbeat all day and night.

I also wish I didn't have to chase DBH up to get on with his chores. I wish for once he would just get on with them. He's still in his pyjamas, and he has his shower breakdown to investigate, and the big freezer's water leakage.

rosesarered Sun 24-May-15 11:09:52

I wish that I had a bit more energy as the small grandchildren are going to descend on us at any minute, and things will be a whirlwind for the next four hours.I could just sit in the garden and slowly read the Sunday papers.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 24-May-15 11:17:14

Ann if I turned the clock back far enough I probably could stuff my face eat treats without gaining weight, so your choice would work for me. And - go on - sit in the garden! It's Sunday. wink

Teetime Sun 24-May-15 11:18:09

I wish I could eat a whole packet of chocolate covered hazelnut biscuits with no guilt and no after effects.

pompa Sun 24-May-15 12:08:39

I wish our children would move closer together -near the coast preferably.

Jane10 Sun 24-May-15 12:35:29

I wish I could be amazingly agile, flexible and full of energy. I wish I could still walk for miles without sore knees and being out of breath. Sigh. My own fault for spending so much time on PC or watching TV -also eating ++. I also therefore wish I didn't feel so guilty about it!!

tanith Sun 24-May-15 12:42:24

I wish my son and his little family didn't live overseas so my newest grandson recognised me as grandma when I go out to see them and didn't think I was a scary stranger.

AshTree Sun 24-May-15 12:48:54

I wish I could just go out whenever I wanted to, at any time of day, without having to consider whether my troubled insides will allow me to leave the house. And when I can go out, I wish I could walk without pain. I wish I could go to sleep at 11.30 and not wake up once until 7.30 the next morning.

Or, put another way, I wish I could turn the clock back too!

hildajenniJ Sun 24-May-15 12:59:17

I wish I could eat anything I wanted to, and not put on any weight. I also wish I had more energy and could still run for more than 20 yards. I used to run everywhere, what happened?

harrigran Sun 24-May-15 13:01:14

Me too AshTree, my innards are a law unto themselves and I can be sick at the drop of a hat. I wish I could go to a restaurant and not worry whether there was black pepper or chilli lurking in the sauce sad

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 24-May-15 13:01:54

Exactly hildajennJ. Just when was it I stopped being able to run? It's weird. Running was so easy!

KatyK Sun 24-May-15 13:11:16

I wish I could stop feeling guilty every time I eat anything remotely unhealthy. We went for a lovely lunch last week. We ordered sandwiches and they were huge. They came with the most delicious chips I have ever tasted. Instead of thinking 'oh how lovely'. I thought 'oh no, I will eat those and when I weigh myself I will have gained weight.' Note to self: 'get on with it and enjoy yourself' I can still run though smile

kittylester Sun 24-May-15 14:42:31

If only I could kneel down to plant things in the garden and then get up again and, preferably, get up again elegantly!

Stansgran Sun 24-May-15 15:13:38

I wish I didn't have to cook Sunday dinner tonight and just offer a sandwich. I'm still trying to wash the unpacked clothes. And I too wish I could kneel to weed and get up again without an astonishingly un dignified roll and scrabble across the garden.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 24-May-15 15:15:37

grin Stansgran!

Sorry, shouldn't laugh. grin

Greyduster Sun 24-May-15 15:27:04

I wish I could go back to the pristine river in the wooded valley we walked through yesterday, where the trout were taking mayfly off the top and I didn't have a rod and linesad. But today is gardening day and preparing-for-the-family-tommorrow day.......

annodomini Sun 24-May-15 15:32:59

I wish I could summon up the energy to tackle the jungle of weeds in my garden. Anyone here know where I can get a machete?

soontobe Sun 24-May-15 15:39:22

Fly. Definitely fly. I have always watched the birds, and thought "you lucky things".
I used to spread my arms out as a child, and see if I could somehow manage it!
I am too chicken/afraid of hurting myself, to go gliding. And it is not really the same as actually being able to just fly.

HildaW Sun 24-May-15 15:51:05

Oh the tyranny of Sunday lunches! My poor mother had to do them no matter how she felt and even after we had all left home. I only do them when visitors are due.

I am more than happy to tell O.H. 'I am not cooking today ...I fancy bread and cheese'.....but I do have make sure there is a steak and kidney pie in the freezer he can have!

Greyduster Sun 24-May-15 15:51:11

Hang gliding has to be the closest - you can get tandem flights! (No, I wouldn't either!)

pompa Sun 24-May-15 16:14:37

Soontobe, gliding (not hang gliding) is as close to being a bird as you can safely get, rising on the up-currents is amazing. Age is no limit, most gliding clubs offer trial lessons for very little cost.