Gransnet forums

Chat

Apparently, I am so old school!

(54 Posts)
kittylester Mon 25-May-15 07:32:28

I did roast pork for dinner last night with roast potatoes, peas, broccoli, roast cauliflower with bacon and garlic, stuffing and gravy, but no Yorkshire pudding. shock. DD's boyfriend accused me (jokingly!) that everyone has Yorkshire pudding with all roasts and its 'old school' to only have it with beef!

Am I?

kittylester Mon 25-May-15 07:34:03

Proof read kitty!!!! accused told!

PRINTMISS Mon 25-May-15 07:37:14

Well we have it when I feel like doing it, so sometimes with roast ham, sometimes with beef - never tried it with fish though!

Brendawymms Mon 25-May-15 07:39:18

I only have Yorkshire puddings with beef. I agree with you Kitty. Mind you I can't make them at all and rely on Aunt Betty!

Coolgran65 Mon 25-May-15 07:51:25

Yorkshire puds every Sunday regardless of what type of roast.

Nelliemoser Mon 25-May-15 07:55:31

I had Yorkshire pudding aka toad in hole with vegetarian sausages the other night. How bad is that?

Mind you I am not much good at cooking Yorkshire puddings.

nightowl Mon 25-May-15 08:00:42

Oh no, I don't eat meat kitty but I love Yorkshire puddings. Does that mean I can't have them with my nut roast sad

I didn't know you were only supposed to have them with beef. Growing up in yorkshire we always had them with Sunday dinner, whatever the meat. My mum was a 'good plain cook' but her yorkshires were the best I've ever tasted. My dad always had his the traditional way, as a first course, filled with gravy. I thought they were eaten this way as a cheap 'filler upper' to make the meat go further. He used to quote an old saying 'Them as eats t'most pudding gets t'most meat' - which doesn't actually make any sense if it was designed to make you eat less meat confused

Sorry kitty I've digressed but thank you for taking me on that little trip down memory lane! There's been a lot of nostalgia on here recently!

soontobe Mon 25-May-15 08:02:08

I think it is a regional thing?

thatbags Mon 25-May-15 08:04:10

Bet you aren't as old school as me. Yorkshire pudding and gravy should be eaten as a separate course from the beef. Tell your DD's boyfriend that and that the information is from a Yorkshire tyke who knows these things! wink

kittylester Mon 25-May-15 08:07:27

Well, I did ask if he'd like mint sauce with his pork but he looked at me as though I was mad! grin

whenim64 Mon 25-May-15 08:13:46

i got used to yorkshires with beef, stuffing with chicken, apple sauce with pork and mint sauce with lamb. My lot want yorkshires and mint sauce on whatever roast meat it is. My only stipulation now is that the ketchup doesn't appear on the table with the Christmas turkey.

nightowl Mon 25-May-15 08:13:52

We eat mint sauce with everything here as well kitty blush

PRINTMISS Mon 25-May-15 08:14:20

By the way, I quite like cold Yorkshire pudding with jam.

nightowl Mon 25-May-15 08:16:46

If there were any yorkshires left over, we kids used to eat them with milk and sugar. Wouldn't fancy it now.

shysal Mon 25-May-15 08:17:10

Yes, thatbags, I remember visiting my Yorkshire farmer relatives as a child, and being confused by the plate of YP and gravy only, and was waiting for the meat and veg! They told me that it was traditionally served this way to fill you up so that less beef was needed for after. It was always cooked in a large baking tin beneath the meat to catch the juices, delicious and full of flavour, and only with beef!

hildajenniJ Mon 25-May-15 08:29:49

I am very traditional. I serve mint sauce with lamb, apple sauce with pork and Yorkshire pudding and horseradish with beef. I occasionally make Yorkshire pudding with lamb but only if I particularly fancy it, but never with pork. Carry on as you are kitty, take no notice of these young people, they know nothing.

hildajenniJ Mon 25-May-15 08:31:59

My mother used to make a sweet batter pudding and served it with syrup and custard. I have never done it though.

AshTree Mon 25-May-15 08:45:14

And what, may I ask, is wrong with 'old school'? wink. I usually only do Yorkshire puds with beef, though it's not a hard and fast rule here because my DH would have them with everything. And yes, they're lovely cold with jam or honey. Not sure I'd want mint sauce with anything but lamb hmm.
The custom of serving Yorkshire pudding as a filler before the main course is similar to an old London tradition of serving suet pudding with gravy as a first course. Or so my mother used to tell me, though I've never come across this myself.

nightowl Mon 25-May-15 08:46:32

The traditional way is also to cook it in a large square or rectangular tin and cut it into squares to serve.

thatbags Mon 25-May-15 08:48:27

Re those pre-meat 'fillers', there's an old saying: no broth, no ball*; no ball, no beef.

*ball being suet dumpling.

And yes, the idea was to make the meat stretch further. You wouldn't need so much if you were full of broth and suet pud with gravy.

thatbags Mon 25-May-15 08:51:24

The Yorkshire tradition is to cook Yorkshire pud in individual, small plate-sized Yorkshire pudding tins. This meant each person had a Yorkshire pudding 'bowl' in which to pour the gravy.

My mum still has her grandmother's Yorkshire pudding tins.

The habit of serving the pud with the meat is what brought in patty-tin sized puds and the baking tray ones cut into squares. Real Yorkshire puds are as described above and served separately from the meat and veg course.

thatbags Mon 25-May-15 08:52:24

Hardly anyone does it that way now but that is the "old school" way.

thatbags Mon 25-May-15 08:52:48

And there endeth the history lesson for today smile

nightowl Mon 25-May-15 09:08:32

I still have my mum's old Yorkshire pudding tins bags. Dinner plate size for my dad, tea plate size for the rest of us. I don't use then though, we have bun sized ones now. But they hold a lot of memories.

She did sometimes used to make the larger puddings cut into squares for the rest of us, but my dad always had his starter 'bowl' pudding filled with gravy.

ninathenana Mon 25-May-15 09:09:46

Mum always did Yorkshire puds no matter what the meat. Cooked in one large tin and cut in four. I did for the first few years of marriage and was always pleased with the result, but then we went on a health kick and I stopped. I hadn't made one for years until recently, it wasn't so good sad must be lack of practice. Although there was no leftovers.