Gransnet forums

Chat

DGD took her nappy off in bed last night - help!

(27 Posts)
kittylester Tue 26-May-15 08:09:23

Dgd (aged 2) took her nappy off in bed last night with the inevitable consequence sad. How do we save the mattress? Up to now, I've soaked it with plain water and put a towel on top to soak the water up!

She is going through a phase of removing all her clothes and, sometimes, going on the potty but this is the first time she has undressed in the night and she appears to have slept through doing 2 wees! Bless her!

thatbags Tue 26-May-15 08:12:53

If it's a sunny day, put it outside in the sun for as long as possible. Then always use a waterproof cover. Those washable, cotton-covered latex mattress covers are good. They take a while to dry though so you might want two.

J52 Tue 26-May-15 08:16:44

My eldest son did this when his younger brother was born and he was in a night nappy he said he was not a baby and didn't wear nappies.

At that time you could by Terry training pants in JL. He was happy to wear those combined with frequent lifting.

As for the mattress, Febreeze it when dry and put on a plastic cover.

Hope it all works out ok. x

J52 Tue 26-May-15 08:18:13

By plastic, I did mean the newer washable versions! x

aggie Tue 26-May-15 08:44:40

Baking soda rubbed in gets the pong out

kittylester Tue 26-May-15 09:07:10

Thank you all! I meant to add that I now have a trip to Mothercare planned for later on today!

whenim64 Tue 26-May-15 09:14:26

My DDs used pullup nappies at night when this started hapoening - not easy to pull apart in the middle of the night. Also, onesie-type nightwear to stop them getting at their nappies.

AshTree Tue 26-May-15 09:20:18

My DGS has done this, fortunately on a good weather day so it was scrubbed and placed outside on top of the rotary clothes line to dry. I think all in one nightwear is an excellent idea!

Judthepud2 Tue 26-May-15 10:23:03

Mothercare, IKEA and M&S do waterproof mattress covers. They are no longer the plastic things that get hot and crinkly. Look like quilted mattress covers but with a waterproof backing. Cot size, single size AND double (for the dear little things that creep into your bed at night and then wee!!

Treating the wet mattress is not so easy, but I have found a solution of water and baking soda helps to get rid of the lingering old wee smell shock

harrigran Tue 26-May-15 10:26:14

I have Hippy Chick waterproof protectors on all beds except mine, even older GC sometimes have accidents. Good luck, stain will stay.

ninathenana Tue 26-May-15 10:44:54

Was going to suggest onesies when I read op. DD learnt that lesson with DG#2.

Mishap Tue 26-May-15 11:13:12

I usually cover the mattress in an old shower curtain - saves throwing it away.

Lona Tue 26-May-15 19:43:12

I've used plastic table cloths from the pound shop! I found that waterproof mattress covers hold the water when washed and take ages to get dry.

loopylou Tue 26-May-15 20:19:02

At least it was 'only' wee smile
No ideas other than as suggested but when DD did this aged 15 months, I put her on the potty last thing, no nappies from then on and she didn't have any accidents....sheer luck I think!

Liamsnana Sun 02-Jan-22 13:29:38

Afternoon Everyone
Due to various circumstances I'm now fulltime career for my 3 year old grandson though hard work ,its very rewarding ,I switched from normal disposable nappies to terry nappies 6 months ago in the hope we could toilet trian sooner but he's showing no interest what so ever and still in nappies 24/7 ...I don't want to push him due to family upheaval but should I be worried that he's still in nappies ?....should I wait a few more months before trying

Witzend Sun 02-Jan-22 13:37:49

John Lewis have good, non-sweaty, non-squeaky mattress covers.
Our 2 elder Gdcs (younger still wears a nappy at night) share a double sofa bed when here - it always has a JL quilted fitted waterproof cover under the sheet. It washes and dries easily.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 02-Jan-22 13:41:12

Liamsnana

These days children are being kept in nappies until they themselves express a desire to start using a potty or the toilet.

My foster-daughter told me it is DREADFULLY HARMFUL to start potty training before children are at least 2 as they do not produce the hormone that (apparently) controls the spincter of the bladder before then.

No point in arguing with a young mum who has read all the latest books and had the newest ideas dinned into her by health visitors and her contempories.

I have no idea whether this idea is a new, brilliant discovery or not, but it might well be the reason your three year old grandson is still in nappies.

My advice, which I am sure you have thought of yourself by now, is please do not even think about potty training until the little one has settled down with you and his new routine and changed circumstances.

Wait to the summer, and hope for warm weather, so he can run around in the garden med no nappy or trousers on. Then produce the potty.

Little boys often respond well to seeing granddad or some other male relation weeing into the toilet. Is there a male relation around to casually forget to close the toilet door?

silverlining48 Sun 02-Jan-22 13:42:30

Both my two were dry by day before 2 and a little later at night which was normal in the 70 s, so was a bit concerned when my gc was still in nappies at 4 but the problem resolved itself.
Maybe your gs has been distressed by family circumstances * liamsnana* but the pants mentioned are probably a good start.
Why not wait til it gets warmer and try again. It’s usually easier.

silverlining48 Sun 02-Jan-22 13:43:23

Crossed post grandtante

silverlining48 Sun 02-Jan-22 13:45:31

Oh and I was told the same thing by my dd. They never knew the stinky bucket in the corner of the kitchen full of all those towelling nappies.

MayBee70 Sun 02-Jan-22 13:47:13

Liamsnana

Afternoon Everyone
Due to various circumstances I'm now fulltime career for my 3 year old grandson though hard work ,its very rewarding ,I switched from normal disposable nappies to terry nappies 6 months ago in the hope we could toilet trian sooner but he's showing no interest what so ever and still in nappies 24/7 ...I don't want to push him due to family upheaval but should I be worried that he's still in nappies ?....should I wait a few more months before trying

My daughter was still in nightime nappies when she was getting so big I worried that she’d no longer fit into them. This was back when we still used terry nappies. I had actually forgotten about it. Then she just became dry. It’s something that does vary a lot.

Liamsnana Sun 02-Jan-22 13:55:15

I was thinking the same thing ,maybe wait until spring or summer,I have wondered if I've made him more comfortable and content by using Terry Nappies as he's not fazed about being wet

midgey Sun 02-Jan-22 13:57:09

The original post is very old! I imagine the child in question is now at the top of primary school and unlikely to need nappies!

Liamsnana Sun 02-Jan-22 14:00:15

I only came across this post today

silverlining48 Sun 02-Jan-22 14:06:46

No problem. Hope the input has helped Liamsnana.