Gransnet forums

Chat

What on earth are swimmer sumsuits!?

(15 Posts)
Katek Thu 28-May-15 18:53:35

That's what I just read on the newsletter.....,maybe need a lie down.

janerowena Thu 28-May-15 19:32:58

Maybe something to do with complaints about swimsuits some years ago. The seller's reply was that some people only wore them for sunbathing and as fashion items, with occasional forays into shallow water. Stronger and different fabrics were required for swimming as a sport.

Agus Thu 28-May-15 19:38:29

I'm assuming these swimsuits are the ones I see competitive swimmers wearing, for sport as opposed to differently cut swimsuits for sunbathing.

Galen Thu 28-May-15 20:29:50

Do you need a swimsuit for sunbathing? What's wrong with skin?

Ana Thu 28-May-15 20:37:54

I think some of you may have missed the point - it's parcark syndrome! grin

Ana Thu 28-May-15 20:59:40

Spoonerism - that's it!

Agus Thu 28-May-15 21:07:13

Galen shock grin

Agus Thu 28-May-15 21:11:17

I certainly have some sort of syndrome Ana

Just reread the thread title. blush. Duh!

pompa Thu 28-May-15 21:17:27

My only thought when I saw that section on the newsletter was that it was sexist, I would look a right prat in one of those grin

janerowena Thu 28-May-15 22:32:44

I thought it was you getting the spelling wrong! grin

Ana Thu 28-May-15 22:39:25

pompa, I'm sure you'd look lovely in this

mankini

pompa Fri 29-May-15 08:07:39

That would be beyond description. grin

FlicketyB Fri 29-May-15 08:37:31

Having recently started a thread about trying to buy a swimsuit, other than a 'speedo type' that didn't have breast plates and tummy control, I now know exactly what this means!

I am a leisure swimmer. I like nice cheerful and pretty swimming costumes that I can do 20 or 30 lengths in. This is in comparison with DD, who goes swimming four or five times a week and swims several kilometres each time. She wears the kind of costumes usually seen on competitive swimmers, unpadded, sleek with cross straps across the back to stop the shoulder straps slipping, and usually only available in black.

Until this year I had no difficulty getting the kind of swimming costume I wanted. This year every costume I can find has come with massive hard foam breast plates, tummy control and, usually, just tie straps around the neck. Most emphatically not made for swimming, made only for posing on the beach or poolside.

I have given in. Speedo-type costumes are now beginning to come in colours other than in black and I have just bought two, one in turquoise and the other in turquoise and pink.

AshTree Fri 29-May-15 08:45:00

Ha! I must admit I read your title as "swimmer swimsuits" at first and thought the same as janerowena and agus.
A spoonerism that made me giggle uncontrollably was a nurse on the news many years ago who said 'hypodeemic nurdles' grin

crun Fri 29-May-15 11:59:05

Weren't Spooner's parents dum and mad?

Is there a real need for Neil Reed?
Is Maggie Sutton saggy mutton?
Are Miles Percival's piles merciful?