Gransnet forums

Chat

Ghosts

(41 Posts)
vampirequeen Fri 29-May-15 08:13:15

I don't know if they exist or not but I can't think of another explanation for this.

DH and I volunteer at our local community centre and are often in the building when it's closed. The other day I was on my own inside when I heard chairs being moved in the hall. I went to see who was there and found it empty but whilst there I heard footsteps in the corridor. It didn't strike me as odd at the time but the footsteps were on a wooden floor and the corridor is carpeted. I went into the corridor but found it empty.

When I went back outside to where DH was I mentioned it to him. He said he'd heard similar sounds and the kitchen door somehow locks itself even though it's a lock that needs a key not a latch. He thought the children who use the centre were doing it.

Today he was chatting to the ladies who run the before and after school club and mentioned the noises and the locked kitchen. He was assured that the children never have access to any of the keys and that the kitchen door is always open when they leave. One also said that the children were convinced that the building was haunted but they'd never taken them seriously.

I'm open to suggestions as to what might be causing the noises and kitchen door to be locked. Just wondering what others think. The building is an old school btw.

rosesarered Fri 29-May-15 08:38:21

Strange, isn't it?I have heard of quite a few similar things in buildings that were public buildings, hotels, schools, hospitals.Almost like a 'rememberance' of events in the past (wooden floors etc.)It's all about what happens to sound, is it trapped?I don't believe that it's anything more than sound btw nothing sinister, but must be unnerving for you all the same.

hildajenniJ Fri 29-May-15 08:47:15

Very possibly haunted. Here is my similar story.
I worked in a shop in an old part of Carlisle when I was in my early twenties. We took turns each evening, to clean and tidy the staff room. I put the chairs on the table with the chair legs pointing to the ceiling while I mopped the floor. I left the room to take away the rubbish when suddenly there was a loud clatter. I went back into the room and all the chairs were lying on the floor! It was my future husband's shop, and he regularly went in early in the morning to find all the lights on, when he knew for certain that he had put them off before he left the previous evening.

Riverwalk Fri 29-May-15 09:01:51

There's usually a more earthly reason for such events - a friend worked in a children's care home with all sorts of goings-on with lighting, strange sounds, missing food, moving furniture, etc.

Obviously the children would be likely culprits but sometimes it just wasn't possible for it to be them e.g. during school hours.

The staff finally discovered a homeless 'tramp' living in the loft space - been there for years!

aggie Fri 29-May-15 09:15:46

tramp more scary than a ghost

Teetime Fri 29-May-15 09:33:43

There was a fictional programme on TV years ago called The Stone Tape- it was about a film crew I think who kept seeing the figure of a parlour maid in Victorian dress descending a non existent staircase. The theory put forward was that somehow surroundings and the environment 'record' happenings and play them back when time gets distorted somehow. I quite like this theory. However 'there are more things in heaven and earth etc etc'.

NanaDenise Fri 29-May-15 10:03:00

When I got married, we bought MIL's house and she had said there was a poltergeist there. She had asked it to leave some years before and it move two houses down and her neighbour sent it back again. For the first month that we lived there, things would get moved, photos placed face to the wall and ashes from the boiler emptied down the path. I never heard it, but it left after the first month probably because I ignored it. It didn't return to MIL in her new flat or reside with any of our neighbours. So, if you lived in London W7 in the late 60s and had an unwelcome visitor, I am really sorry. wink

NanRex Fri 29-May-15 10:22:14

I admire your nerve *nanadenise! when my children were young, my husband worked away from home a lot. We had just moved into a new house that we had built on an old plot when very odd things started to happen. I was largely on my own in the house, as the children were at school, but would feel sharp tugs on my clothes fairly often, as well as a child's voice shouting very faintly (our house was very isolated, so no children about). My daughter often referred to 'the man at the end of the garden' as well, who apparently was always digging about for something in the ground with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. Oddly enough, sometimes I wouldn't be bothered by it and other times I'd sleep with the gun we had by my bed - not sure what I thought I was going to do with it if it were ghosts that were roaming about hmm

vampirequeen Fri 29-May-15 10:23:24

I could explain the noises as it just being an old building with creaking wood but the locked door is more difficult.

My imagination tells me (or perhaps it's real) that I'm hearing a teacher putting out or putting away chairs. The hall could be used as two classrooms by closing a folding door or left as one large hall. The footsteps in the corridor sound like someone simply walking on a wooden floor (like most old schools there is a wooden floor beneath the carpet).

I'm very open minded about ghosts. I have heard the theory that walls can 'video' and replay past incidents. If it is a ghost I doubt it's aware that we're in the building. It's busy replaying it's past role.

DH has just reminded me of the times that the hall doors have been locked. We just assumed that someone had locked them although the room is usually left unlocked. Now we're wondering if that same thing that locks the kitchen sometimes locks the hall too.

merlotgran Fri 29-May-15 10:25:59

We lived in a thatched farmhouse in Suffolk during the early seventies. It was definitely haunted. You could hear footsteps on the landing some nights and doors opening and shutting where the doorways had actually been bricked up.

One dark winters morning I woke early and was aware of somebody standing at the bottom of the bed. I thought it was DD who had just moved from a cot to a bed and often clambered in with us if she woke up before we did. It was a young man (around 18 I reckon) quite smartly dressed in clothes that would have looked about right in a Victorian costume drama and he was lighting a pipe from the fireplace which was no longer in working order.

I didn't move a muscle and just stared at him for what was probably just a few seconds. He turned and smiled at me. I nudged DH who was sound asleep but he didn't wake up so I looked down at him. When I looked back up the man had gone.

We lived in that house for another year and the noises carried on. I never saw the man again but even though sometimes DH had to work away I was never afraid to be in the house alone with the children. I like to think that who/whatever was haunting the house they were friendly spirits.

vampirequeen Fri 29-May-15 10:48:25

The community centre noises aren't unnerving or scary. Perhaps the person was so happy in her work that she never wanted to leave.

KatyK Fri 29-May-15 10:55:07

I would never have believed in ghosts and always thought if I lived anywhere where there were strange goings on, I would be out of their like a shot. However, when we were first married we lived in a newly built flat. All sorts of odd things happened there. One of the bedrooms was always freezing cold, no matter how high we put the heating on. One night when we were in bed, I felt someone trying to pull the bed clothes off me. I tried to turn around but found I couldn't move. I'm sure it wasn't a dream. We would often see a bright light in the bedroom too. Worst of all, my DH used to work in a local pub and I was often in the flat with my DD who was about 2 at the time. One night when my DH was working and my DD was in bed, I was watching TV and I heard a loud bang behind me and a heavy glass ashtray was in pieces on the table. My brother used to babysit for us occasionally and he said to me 'there's something odd going on in this flat.' We had a PVC settee and when someone sat on it, it made a slight noise. My brother said he was in the kitchen and heard this noise and assumed DD had got out of bed so went to look and there was no one there but there was an indentation in the cushion as though someone was sitting there. We lived there for 5 years and many such things happened.

Anya Fri 29-May-15 11:10:26

Spooky KatyK

I once lived in a big detached house with three storeys. One of the bedrooms on the top storey was rarely used. After several guests refusing to sleep in it for a second night we gave up on it. There was no noise or objects moved just an overpowering sense of evil in that room.

NanRex Fri 29-May-15 11:13:20

It's funny how you can sometimes sense whether you should be worried about a particular presence, isn't it? I'm sure there were more than a couple of 'visitors' in my old house, but only one or two of them actually frightened me. Instincts are interesting things!

ginny Fri 29-May-15 12:19:13

I'm not sure about ghosts but I do think there is sometimes a sort of 'energy' that affects things. I had a perfectly good car a few years ago that I just had to get rid of just because every time I got in it I felt nervous and unsafe. Sold it and the buyer is still driving it around uite happily. Any ideas on what I was feeling ?

harrigran Fri 29-May-15 13:01:29

DH and I stayed at a luxury hotel just 15 minutes from where we live. The room was fabulous but I woke up during the night to see a middle aged woman sitting by the bed, she was wearing a tweed coat and felt hat and had a shopping bag on her knee. This hotel was a hospital in the 50s and 60s and mainly used for chest conditions. I knew it had been a hospital, I had accompanied patients there, so was it just my vivid imagination ?
Three years ago we stayed in a French hotel and I woke up to see a woman in a dress and headscarf and she had a bucket over one arm, the room was pitch black yet I could see her quite clearly right down to her ruddy complexion. The impression I got was that she was about to feed the chickens or milk the cows, perhaps she was trying to rouse me to help with the milking smile
I do not believe in ghosts but find these sightings hard to comprehend, I was not dreaming as I was able to move and hide under the covers.

mariana Fri 29-May-15 18:04:04

I have never seen a ghost, but my late husband always swore that he could see a ghost in our spare room !!! He was never afraid, it was a lady, who sat on the edge of the bed, but when he tried to talk to her, she walked through the wardrobe. !!! I never saw her. And no he never drank.

Katek Fri 29-May-15 18:24:02

Dd2 stays in an old manse with parts of it dating back to the 1600's. I cannot -for whatever reason - sleep in either of the third storey bedrooms, they just feel 'wrong'. I also get a mental picture/sensation/thought of 3 very stern/serious looking men in top hats going up the stairs to that floor when I'm in guest room on second floor.

The night before my mother's funeral my duvet was tugged three separate times.

Can't explain either of these events.

Greyduster Fri 29-May-15 18:25:07

My friend came to lunch recently and I was asking her about a trip she'd had to Newstead Abbey with her daughter. She told me that they were going up to look at Byron's bedroom and her daughter made a joke about being careful of his ghost in case he was just as amorous in the afterlife as he had been in life. She stopped on the staircase to look at a stained glass window and had the distinct impression that someone was trying to pass behind her on the stair - so distinct that she moved forward out if the way, then turned round to find there was no one on the stair but her. She went up the stairs and asked her daughter if anyone had come up before her and she said no. My friend is very level headed and doesn't believe in ghosts but found the experience unnerving to say the least.

annsixty Fri 29-May-15 18:28:15

Very sensible, down to earth, friends of ours spent 2 New Year Eve's in a hotel in N Wales which was called M.... Abbey. It was a lovely hotel and the celebrations were excellent.However the second year they saw a monk in a habit, quite clearly in their room and they both saw it. It totally unnerved them and they would never go back.

Ana Fri 29-May-15 18:32:42

You are allowed to give the name of the hotel, annsixty! grin

Was it Maenan Abbey?

hildajenniJ Fri 29-May-15 18:34:12

When my DGD was aged 5 the family lived in a farmhouse beside the ruins of a castle unoccupied and ruined since the 1600's. Early one late winter morning she awoke, got up and looked out of the bedroom window. To her surprise, she saw a young boy sitting on the lawn. When all the family got up for breakfast she told her mum and dad. She described a boy with blonde bobbed hair knee breeches and a jerkin. After she had gone to school my SiL told my DD that he had also seen the same boy. On relating this to other mums at the school gates, my DD was told a legend about a kitchen boy from the castle who was sent out on an errand. They forgot he was out and shut the castle up for the night. It was very cold, and in the morning, when they opened the castle door, they found the little boy frozen to death on the doorstep. Ooh spooky.
That house always felt odd whenever I visited.

loopylou Fri 29-May-15 18:57:38

We had a number of inexplicable occupancies when we lived in a 400 year old farmhouse; unexplained footsteps on stairs (no central heating) climbing 23 steps yet there were only 15 stairs, a standard lamp thrown across the room in front of my disbelieving husband, a black dog in the barn seen in broad daylight but it dissolved in front on you, various items disappearing for years then turning up in the most unlikely places, a man at the end of the bed seen by our young children, me and a friend staying with us.
We had a teenager literally sick with fright after meeting a 'gremlin' as he put it, on one staircase.
Eventually we had the house exorcised because too many things happened.

Did I believe in ghosts beforehand-no but afterwards I knew there was something.
My in laws lived there before us, devout churchgoers and they too saw things that couldn't be explained.

We asked a well-known Wiltshire author of ghosts in the county to visit and she was certain that a number of entities were in the house.

Ana Fri 29-May-15 19:00:01

Did the exorcism work, loopy? Did the sightings stop completely and straight away?

loopylou Fri 29-May-15 19:13:59

The 'poltergeist' activities stopped immediately but the footsteps, dog, sightings of the man and 'gremlin' were frequently seen afterwards.
The 'gremlin' was seen by a visiting vicar friend who described it as a dwarf about 3' 6" high, deformed left arm and a twisted spine. He saw it mid-afternoon when going along the landing to get some trunks out of the attic, which we were giving to the church for storage.

Oddly I didn't mind being in the house alone during the day, but at night it was different. We had a middle room that neither the dogs nor the cats would enter, that was where the poltergeist active mainly occurred. They still wouldn't enter after the exorcism.