Gransnet forums

Chat

I am going to belong here soon!

(38 Posts)
MammaTJ Sat 13-Jun-15 19:08:59

My DD and her husband have been trying for a baby for 14 months, married for a year.

They are quite young but very in love and desperate to start a family. They were (especially DD) getting miserable that it had not happened yet.

I had a phone call today telling me she is 8 weeks pregnant. So, still early days, so they want me to keep it secret. I am bursting to tell people but can't.

You lot clearly do not count.

AshTree Sat 13-Jun-15 19:12:58

Ah such lovely news. You must be so excited! Welcome to the happiest club in the world - Grandparenthood smile

baubles Sat 13-Jun-15 19:15:11

Congratulations & welcome to Gransnet smile

Charleygirl Sat 13-Jun-15 19:17:00

That is great news- you are all obviously delighted.

MammaTJ Sat 13-Jun-15 19:17:05

I am excited. My younger children will be too. They will be auntie and uncle at 9 and 10.

loopylou Sat 13-Jun-15 19:23:16

Welcome and congratulations to you and the expectant parents smile

hildajenniJ Sat 13-Jun-15 19:27:17

Hello and welcome Mamma T*J, First babies are very exciting. My DD was young also. She was not married either, and we went in fear and trembling to tell my very old fashioned mother. We needn't have worried, she was delighted to be getting a great grandchild! My DD was 23 when she had my DGD.

Mishap Sat 13-Jun-15 19:29:05

You can tell us!!! - so pleased for you.

Teetime Sat 13-Jun-15 19:32:25

How lovely and welcome to you- most of these people are bonkers but I'm Ok you can tell me. smile

grannyactivist Sat 13-Jun-15 19:36:55

Welcome MammaTJ and congratulations on becoming a grandmother soon. My youngest arrived on 18th March, but is actually only due today. Being a Granny is the absolute best!! smile

Nelliemoser Sat 13-Jun-15 19:41:20

MammaTJ grin Oh I remember that feeling.

That was the point I started on GN in 2012. I didn't like to admit to not being a proper gran until DGS was born in the September. I was so amazed by all the good wishes I think I expected everyone to just take it for granted. "What are you making a fuss about?" style.

It is amazing to hold a new grandchild knowing s/he is part of you.

MammaTJ Sat 13-Jun-15 19:51:42

Oh goodness, getting a bit weepy here.

One thing she is stressing about is that I had MC before I had her, so she thinks she may take after me in that. I have reassured her that my DM smoked all the way through her pregnancies and that can lead to MC in any daughters born.

I have never smoked, so that risk factor is not there for her.

Liz46 Sat 13-Jun-15 20:00:36

Congratulations! I had no idea how wonderful it would be until I held my gd in my arms a few hours after she was born (yes, I was invited!). It was instant love and eight years later I have just spent a lovely day with her and her younger brother.

Grannyknot Sun 14-Jun-15 08:28:25

mamatj welcome. I was also (k)not a granny when I joined GN, but I am now. We have a delightful 10 month old bundle of joy in the family now - and I'm a fully fledged grandmother. It's wonderful.

Falconbird Sun 14-Jun-15 08:37:13

Welcome to this wonderful club MamaTJ.

I'm Nan to 3 and there's nothing like the joy of finding out you're going to be a Gran or in my case a Nan.

Congratulations. flowers

kittylester Sun 14-Jun-15 08:43:34

Welcome to gn and congratulations mamatj. flowers

MammaTJ Sun 14-Jun-15 11:08:29

I am very young (47) so not sure about what I will be called. I am a student after all. wink

My DM and DGM always said they did what they did out of love and a Nanny gets paid, so they were Granny. My own DM has never really helped me or DSis much, although my DGM was very involved in our lives, due to Mum not being as involved as she should be!

I would love to be a hands on Grandparent, as much as DD would like.
I know DD2 and DS will love being Auntie and Uncle, so I might not even get a look in.

bikergran Sun 14-Jun-15 11:53:05

welcome TJ smile

Falconbird Sun 14-Jun-15 12:33:48

TJ - you are a young Gran!! That's great. I was 61 when I became a Nan for the first time. Must admit I found babysitting tiring - but you have youth on your side - enjoy smile

Katek Sun 14-Jun-15 18:57:37

Congratulations !! It's just the best feeling! I have 5 dgc and the littlest one is just 19 weeks.

MammaTJ Sun 14-Jun-15 19:06:04

Oh still almost 'freshbaked', lovely.

I am working on the maternity ward tomorrow. I was dreading it, thinking about my DD. Now I can enjoy the one day with little squidges in my nursing degree without feeling so sad for her.

etheltbags1 Sun 14-Jun-15 21:06:02

welcome TJ but remember the joy of grandparenthood is mixed with a lot of worry. I wouldn't have it any other way as that's the price you pay to be a gran. smile

Grandma2213 Mon 15-Jun-15 03:04:42

I heard a quote on the radio which I think was an old Welsh proverb, " Perfect love sometimes does not come until the first grandchild". This was so true for me! My love for my own children was so tempered with money worries, discipline issues, exhaustion and single parenthood it was easy to forget that I actually loved them.
Good luck and good love MammaTJ. You have so much to look forward to.

Judthepud2 Mon 15-Jun-15 10:26:10

MammaTJ welcome and congratulations. I have 5 with number 6 due in a few weeks. No matter how many DGCs you have, they are all so special and I agree that the love for them is almost painful it is so strong.

Hope all goes well for your DD. flowers

daffydil Mon 15-Jun-15 14:01:08

Absolutely delighted for you. I still remember how I felt when our first GC was announced. I have often said that although you don't love you GC more than your DGC it is different. The writer Virginia Ironside said grandchildren are the reward you get for not throttling your children.