Gransnet forums

Chat

Naturism - would you, could you?

(80 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 29-Jun-15 15:29:44

Not sure if anyone else read this on the BBC News site. www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33286120

Fascinating - I particularly liked the line (about one nudist resort) "There's even a dry cleaner - I don't know what they dry clean though"

Seat covers presumably grin grin grin

I imagine that it must be very liberating - whether I would do it in front of a bunch of strangers though? To use a cliche...pigs will fly

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 29-Jun-15 15:35:44

No. There is no way dirty old men would not leer at you.

#leopardsdontchangetheirspotsthateasily

Ana Mon 29-Jun-15 15:49:29

I can't imagine why anyone would want to do it. At any age.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 29-Jun-15 15:52:13

He said it is mainly couples so I guess that makes it less...not sure what the word is...predatory? As one who is happy to wander around in the privacy of my own home I can see that it would be good in some ways - and it would definitely save on the washing grin But - no, too shy.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 29-Jun-15 15:55:06

I'm ok with nipping down from the bathroom nekkid if I've forgotten something, but I'm like a streak of lightning.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 29-Jun-15 15:56:38

I think DH would do it, like a shot. I think he goes out to the shed without his clothes on when he comes down long before me at the crack of dawn.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 29-Jun-15 15:57:10

In fact, I caught him at it once. shock

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 29-Jun-15 15:57:52

Being in a couple wouldn't stop the wandering eyes.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 29-Jun-15 15:58:19

I'll shut up now.

janeainsworth Mon 29-Jun-15 15:59:38

We returned to a beach in Cornwall (next to Porthcurno) where I used to go with my parents as a child.
It's not very accessible but Dad liked a challenge.
It had been taken over by naturists and wasn't a very edifying spectacle.

Ana Mon 29-Jun-15 16:02:26

It's possible that being in a couple would somehow give a certain type of person more licence to ogle...hmm

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 29-Jun-15 16:06:23

This is true.

In general terms - I imagine it would be a lot more fun in summer than in winter

Ana Mon 29-Jun-15 16:10:33

Apart from the sunburn! grin

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 29-Jun-15 16:11:11

I don't know. Cold weather could have its advantages, if you are forced to do it.

Soutra Mon 29-Jun-15 16:48:48

More important

SHOULD YOU? grin

vampirequeen Mon 29-Jun-15 16:57:32

I think it would be great once I got passed my initial nerves. It's not sexual. It's all about freedom.

I hate wearing clothes when it's hot. It's much cooler doing housework ...with the curtains closed of course. It's like the man said when he was talking about hiking, your skin seems to regulate your temperature much more effectively.

harrigran Mon 29-Jun-15 17:30:46

If we were meant to be stark bollock naked we would have thick hair all over our bodies. The thought of people sagging and dangling everywhere is yuck.

vampirequeen Mon 29-Jun-15 18:03:37

Well you could just as easily say if we were meant to wear clothes we'd be born wearing them.

We don't bother that faces come in all shapes, sizes, colours etc but we have been brainwashed into thinking that the human body should look a particular way when in fact very few people's do. People's sagging and dangling bits help to make them unique in just the same way as their eye shape or nose size does.

granjura Mon 29-Jun-15 18:05:52

Fabulous memories of that little beach near Porthcurno Jane- we went there with our DD1 and my parents, every day for 2 weeks, in 1974. The sand was made of tiny shells, and I have still got a tiny pink conch in my jewellery box. We had to walk and clim down rocks to get there and the back wash was quite dangerous.

We went naturists once- by accident. We were in Argelès and the beach was dirty and noisy, g-strings and topless- and loud music from ghetto blasters, etc. We spotted a beach about 1 km away, with few people on it- so walked there. We couldn't believe our eyes when we got there- a naturist beach. So we walked back to the other, and when we got closer, I said to OH- that is awful, let's go back to the other place.

We had a great 2 weeks- the girls where about 4 and 6 and were not bothered. And yes, OH got burnt where he was not supposed to be exposed...

Strangely enough- the beach with the g-strings and topless girls had lots of hoggling and lecherers and felt 'dirty' in more ways than one- on the naturist beach, there was none of that- and it was totally 'natural' - we even played badminton and frisby, etc. All ages and sizes- it was great.

Never done it again- never felt the need. But many of your posts obout starring, lechering and hoggling- totally miss the point- naturists just don't - and it is NOT about sex and swapping, etc, AT ALL- au contraire.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 29-Jun-15 18:16:06

Surely, the sight of breasts and private parts are meant to excite members of the opposite sex? You can't take nature out of a man. Not even a droopy old saggy one.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 29-Jun-15 18:17:11

" naturists just don't"

Different species are they granjura? hmm

#whoareyoukidding

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 29-Jun-15 18:18:32

Cari, did you think the number of posts was flagging. Needed a boost perhaps? hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 29-Jun-15 18:19:06

You are not old enough to post on here. Shoo!

Mishap Mon 29-Jun-15 18:19:47

I've been to a naturist island - I was about 18. I have to say that swimming nude in the warm Med was magical - I would love to do it again.

But otherwise it was a bit disappointing. No Adonises (or Adoni maybe!) - just elderly and middle aged couples, with the women clutching their handbags and their knitting and sporting hysterectomy scars.

The only shock was the family (English couple + son) who rowed us over - he was dressed in a very old-fashioned way in long khaki shorts that reached to his knees. When we got to the island, we realised why he needed such long shorts!!!

In any event I was not wearing my glasses so who knows what I missed!

Anne58 Mon 29-Jun-15 18:20:26

Is the beach that you refer to Logan's Rock?

As regards the disrobing, I am firmly (oh, how I wish it was firm) of the opinion that my cellulite is NOT for public viewing!