Gransnet forums

Chat

What is the worst date offer you've had?

(24 Posts)
HappyNan1 Tue 30-Jun-15 11:28:34

I met a widower on a dating site whose wife had sadly died 3 years previously but he felt ready to move on. Picture this, New Years Eve, I'd respectfully read the poignant book of remembrance then came the worst offer ever, would I like to watch a video of his wife's funeral!! I gave up on the relationship at that point, decided he was NOT ready to move on.

grannyactivist Tue 30-Jun-15 11:45:47

HappyNan1 shock

Charleygirl Tue 30-Jun-15 12:01:09

This happened many years ago after I had been recently divorced. I met somebody who appeared to be very pleasant but our first niight out was to be at some local Labour Party meeting. The relationship died before it started, red is not my colour.

HappyNan1 Tue 30-Jun-15 12:13:07

Is it just me or is it a strange to video your beloved's funeral. Surely sad enough without wishing to relive it.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 30-Jun-15 12:17:35

I can remember, when I was a little girl, in the garden of the house just over the road from my friend's house, the family were taking pictures of grandad in his coffin.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 30-Jun-15 12:18:05

He was dead of course.

Ana Tue 30-Jun-15 12:29:47

Well, he could have been just trying it out for size, I suppose...

(alive)

downtoearth Tue 30-Jun-15 13:21:10

Get your coat you've pulled ..grin

annodomini Tue 30-Jun-15 13:27:28

I decided that the relationship was over when he asked me to read his nuclear physics PhD thesis.

hildajenniJ Tue 30-Jun-15 13:40:28

The worst date I ever had was my first date. A boy from school asked me out, he was handsome and I felt very privileged that he had chosen me. Where did he take me? For a walk to the cemetery!

rosesarered Tue 30-Jun-15 13:42:00

Well, at least it was cheap Hilda!

rosesarered Tue 30-Jun-15 13:43:20

I can't think it is normal behaviour to video any funeral.

ninathenana Tue 30-Jun-15 14:43:39

I thought photos of the floral tributes was strange but a video confused

janerowena Tue 30-Jun-15 15:49:18

I can sort of understand it. It's a bit like weddings, it all passes in such a blur and you miss half of it, then ten years later you can't even remember who was there. I went to a funeral of a dear friend the other week, loads of my old friends were there, it was a glorious day, there was afternoon tea laid out in a fabulous garden with beautiful flowers on every table, there was a ceremonial burying of his ashes in the garden under his favourite tree under his seat, and I so wished I had felt able to take photos, at least. But didn't feel I could.

hildajenniJ Tue 30-Jun-15 16:04:21

I once admitted an elderly lady to the dementia ward I was working on. We had to list all of her belongings. In her handbag were several photos of her mother in her coffin. Not something I would carry around with me confused

HappyNan1 Tue 30-Jun-15 16:10:47

Nor me Hildajenij.

Janerowena I can understand how you felt in those circumstances but the video offer on NYEve in a new relationshipconfused

Funnygran Tue 30-Jun-15 16:52:10

A friend met a man through an on line dating agency and agreed a first time meeting in a local pub. He turned up in overalls with ladders on his van. When he offered her a lift home, he had to move tools, greasy cloths etc from the passenger seat. She didn't go out with him again!

downtoearth Tue 30-Jun-15 19:34:18

husband no2 proposed in the graveyard after walking home from the pub one night ,he chose to wait until he was having a wee up the wall,I did try and have a crafty peep to see what was on offer,but he kept it very much hidden ....much as he did all through 26 years of marriage...although having had 3 kids it must have come out for an airing 3 times at least...grin

HappyNan1 Tue 30-Jun-15 20:37:54

Your comment made me chuckle downtoearth (in a nice way)grin

downtoearth Tue 30-Jun-15 21:28:35

glad about that happynan1 grinxx

janerowena Tue 30-Jun-15 23:41:52

I do know what you mean, happynan1, it's not a good start! I wonder if he thought you seemed a safe person that he could trust when he met you? It smacks of loneliness more than being ready to move on, I suppose. It doesn't sound like a recipe for passion! grin

Jomarie Wed 01-Jul-15 00:09:38

My first date began and ended at the end of my road when he turned up on a bike with his fishing gear! - He's an extremely wealthy man now with shedloads of assets - I was so stupid not to have looked into my crystal ball before I went to meet him, hmm

Greyduster Wed 01-Jul-15 08:26:59

My son had his first wife's funeral video'd so that his parents in law in South Africa, who were too frail to attend, could see it. They were very grateful, and comforted by it. It was the only copy. On the whole, though, under normal circumstances, it is not something most of us would consider. Sorry to interrupt this very humerous thread!

Greyduster Wed 01-Jul-15 08:44:28

This wasn't exactly a date, but before I met DH, I was travelling from London up to Grantham on the Pullman service and was engaged in conversation with a well dressed young man in the seat opposite. We were getting on very well - he paid for my lunch. Good start! As we approached Grantham, he offered to meet me later for a drink, and then to show me round the newly commissioned crematorium he had designed! I'm sorry to say I declined.