Gransnet forums

Chat

"Too Darn Hot" - as Cole Porter once observed

(43 Posts)
TerriBull Wed 01-Jul-15 07:03:54

Anyone else had an electric fan on all night?

kittylester Wed 01-Jul-15 07:16:27

No, I couldn't stand the noise!

DD2 has tickets for Wimbledon today and I was really envious!

TerriBull Wed 01-Jul-15 07:22:02

I put mine on lowest setting - not too loud, out of deference to husband who is given to proclaiming "it's blowing a gale in here" - I'd really like to put it on highest "hurricane" setting but that is somewhat noisy.

Hope your daughter enjoys Wimbledon, kittylester.

Pittcity Wed 01-Jul-15 07:51:26

We are lucky to have a through breeze in our bedroom and I am double lucky because DH is working nights this week so I get the bed to myself! It's the early light that wakes me because you can't fully draw the blackout blinds and get the breeze.

Greyduster Wed 01-Jul-15 08:16:51

We slept with just a sheet over us last night but I had to get up at about two and add a light blanket because I was COLD!! Yesterday was the first time for ages I had been affected by the heat. We were in the viewing gallery at DGS's swimming lesson and I suddenly started to sweat uncontrollably and felt quite ill. I had to go outside.

shysal Wed 01-Jul-15 08:58:55

I can't stand the noise of a fan. It doesn't help that I have a Kamikaze cat who has been known to leap from the bedroom window, so I can only leave it ajar.
I sleep with only a sheet covering me all year round, but yesterday I cooled my Chillows more by putting them in the fridge for the evening. They warm up a bit if I stay in contact for a long time, so I put an extra one into use so that I could alternate. I now have two minis under the pillow, one each side and one at my feet! Bliss!

Iam64 Wed 01-Jul-15 09:01:32

No it isn't too darn hot - it's heaven after months of grey days and rain. We know it won't last so I'm going to enjoy it (if it's the last thing I do grin )

Teetime Wed 01-Jul-15 09:09:18

I agree with Iam64 loving it! smile

merlotgran Wed 01-Jul-15 09:14:52

I love it as well. Up at 6.30 to water/damp down the greenhouse and water pots that need doing twice a day in this hot weather. Washing done and on the line so I'm checking in to Gnet while having a tea break.

DH is fishing so I want to get the housework done early so I can crash out in front of Wimbledon with no interruptions!!

newist Wed 01-Jul-15 09:17:54

I am still waiting for the hot weather. sad

AshTree Wed 01-Jul-15 09:21:37

Yes, fans on all night inu bedroom and DD's. Little GD very upset by heat and we've had vet little sleep sad. DH is on a golfing break in Spain with DS and its even hotter there shock. We had thunder in the night too and rain.

AshTree Wed 01-Jul-15 09:22:26

That should have read 'In my bedroom'

annodomini Wed 01-Jul-15 09:23:43

I kept the fan on for as long as it took to cool me and the room down. Then I fell asleep. The noise wouldn't bother me but if it did, Blu-tack can be used as ear plugs.

Charleygirl Wed 01-Jul-15 09:30:45

I do not normally open a bedroom window because I also possess a kamikazie cat but last night I opened the top window and she tried to climb up the glass to reach it but thankfully gave up. She decided that it was probably cooler outside so vanished but was at the patio first thing waiting for me to open the door although she has her cat flap. All the staff are on leave, there is only me.

My 15 tog quilt was on and off but I slept very well. No need for a hot water bottle in this weather I have decided! A fan for me makes too much noise, even on the lowest setting.

My S*******ys delivery comes today in time for the start of Wimbledon so I am sorted. I did not have the energy to do a large shop and these young men are fitter than I am.

TerriBull Wed 01-Jul-15 09:40:15

I shouldn't really complain because I do love summer blue skies and sunshine are very welcome, but extreme heat does make it difficult to sleep at night and my feet swell a bit in hot weather which I find uncomfortable hmm

TerriBull Wed 01-Jul-15 10:02:53

One of the many upsides, an early rise on a lovely morning is sometimes the best part of the day, particularly sitting outside with a coffee first thing. Later, early evening with a nice glass of chilled wine isn't bad either smile

rosesarered Wed 01-Jul-15 10:40:52

Same here to both of your posts TerriBull.we had coffee and croissant outside this morning whilst watching bees buzzing around in the flowers, there was also a rook chasing a dragonfly, ah all these signs of nature...... And then Mr Roses spotted something further up the garden and went to look and came back with a pale and worried face, arrrrrgh! We have a mole!
First time ever.will have to stamp down on the tunnel it has made in the lawn, the little blighter.Any other suggestions?
As to fans, we have several dotted about the house blowing a gale on us to keep cool and the bedroom one was on until I turned it off about 4 am.the noise it makes actually helps us sleep.

ginny Wed 01-Jul-15 11:11:56

I agree with Iam64 make the most of it. Soon be moaning about cloudy, windy, rainy days again.

Mamie Wed 01-Jul-15 11:18:13

I am in the UK but OH has just rung (on the old plug-in phone we keep) to say that we have had a mini tornado at home this morning. Greenhouse trashed, no electricity, fire engines about, no pump for septic tank etc.
I feel guilty for not being there, but at least I am not adding to the problem of water and worse accumulating in the septic tank. It is about 35° there.
[blue]

Mamie Wed 01-Jul-15 11:20:10

Or even sad
Re mole - our village molecatcher has retired. We bought explosive things to put in the tunnel, which worked.

AshTree Wed 01-Jul-15 11:38:56

roses, I agree with you about the noise of fans - it helps me sleep too. I can't bear the sound of a clock ticking or the erratic sound of a radiator contracting and pinging, but I find the constant hum of a fan very soporific.

Brendawymms Wed 01-Jul-15 11:43:00

The temperature here has just passed 30c but it's also very cloudy and quite windy. It's very very humid. I don't feel the heat much but I feel quite warm today.

janerowena Wed 01-Jul-15 12:19:31

The explosive mole devices that are legal in France are illegal over here, I think DBH would have bought some when we were over but didn't want to upset our animal-loving friend!

Mole traps are the only thing that work. Sadly.

32C here currently but due to get hotter. I have a parasol or two up outside but even in the shade it's a bit too hot unless you have time to lounge about.

janerowena Wed 01-Jul-15 12:19:44

Stripped off!

merlotgran Wed 01-Jul-15 12:36:05

I spotted DGS and his girlfriend making for the farm lane while I was pegging out the washing. They were going to WALK to the village to catch a bus....That's two miles in blistering heat with absolutely no shade. I gave them a ticking off wink and asked why they didn't beg a lift. They said they didn't want to bother me.

They must think I was born yesterday. It was obvious they'd waited until they saw me outside then sauntered past like love's young dream.

As if I'd let them walk!