Gransnet forums

Chat

Silence for Tunisia Victims

(21 Posts)
sprite66 Fri 03-Jul-15 17:21:49

Just wondering how well observed this was. I volunteer at a nearby National Trust property and was surprised to be told this morning that the silence would not be observed.

annsixty Fri 03-Jul-15 17:28:36

It was observed in our local M&S Simply food but not many people seemed aware of it and was guilty of not knowing myself until I read the poster on the door.

whenim64 Fri 03-Jul-15 17:36:22

My DD was interviewing a bank customer in a private room and they both sat in silence, then shared their sorrow about the killings before completing the interview. I sat in silence at home. Must say I'm surprised about the NT stance.

Margsus Fri 03-Jul-15 17:44:44

I was in Brent Cross Shopping Centre and it was certainly observed by almost everyone I saw

thatbags Fri 03-Jul-15 18:15:03

I had read somewhere that people were keeping a timed silence for those killed in Tunisia. I was not and indeed am not aware of whose idea it was to 'impose' it on the whole country.

I am not surprised at the NT's stance. I am surprised that anyone should think the NT need join in or ask its visitors to join in such a thing. That is not the NT's purpose. I think that keeping silence as a mark of sadness for people killed in atrocities is a purely personal thing and should not be imposed in public places. Such things should be regarded as suggestions for individuals to do or take part in if they wish either publicly or privately as they prefer.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 03-Jul-15 18:22:35

Funnily enough, I was in the garden at 12 noon today, and my thoughts just drifted to the Tunisia tragedy. So I did keep it. Quite of my own volition. I think being in a garden at this time of the year, makes it very poignant. And sad.

Judthepud2 Fri 03-Jul-15 18:33:25

I was in the air at the time and there was no mention of it at all. A bit sorry about that.

sprite66 Fri 03-Jul-15 19:16:22

Did not think it was "imposed" on the whole country. Our visitor experience person had not heard anything about the silence. I remember some years ago whilst on morning duty that there was a 2 minute silence on Armistice day. No compulsion/imposition just making visitors aware of the time.
I would have thought that the massacre of innocent holiday makers was of some import to the nation which might just chime with the word National before the word Trust. Indeed many other properties did observe the silence.

Pittcity Fri 03-Jul-15 19:20:28

I stood in the High Street near the Town Hall, where the flag was at half mast. Another lady and a soldier from the local Garrison stopped at noon and a few people stood outside a nearby shop, everyone else carried on regardless.

There was a sign in our M&S, but that was about all I saw. I agree that it should be personal choice and maybe there should be a designated place for such remembrances to be observed. The pictures on the news from the silence at Tui HQ were particularly poignant.

downtoearth Fri 03-Jul-15 20:12:10

I was in Kings Lynn ..all quiet at 12 whilst I was at work...albeit people where quietly sorting through the bargains.....my OH wanted to pay his respects and wasn't allowed by his boss....mixed bag really...I was fortunate enough not to have any clients so able to deal with it quietly in my own way...otherwise I would have asked if they would like to observe silence...if not I would ask them to excuse me for one minute whilst I did .....

ninathenana Fri 03-Jul-15 21:55:16

We were in our local Asda they announced at 11.45 that they would taking part. At noon all floor staff lined up behind the tills heads bowed the tills were silent and from what I could see so were all the customers including DH and I.

vampirequeen Sat 04-Jul-15 08:21:28

A period of silence was introduced as a time to remember those lost in war and to reflect that we should never happen again. IMO a time when the whole nation comes to a standstill should only be used for that purpose. If we make it a more common event it loses it's impact.

What happened in Tunisia was terrible and I don't mean to disrespect anyone's feelings on the matter but the deaths were the result of a war (even though it's not been declared in the traditional sense) and therefore those people will be remembered each year along with all the other war dead.

By all means have a time of national mourning, religious services etc but no national silence.

kittylester Sat 04-Jul-15 08:25:07

Obviously, the killings in Tunisia were very sad but we don't normally have a 'silence' when people die. Can anyone remember another occasion when this has happened?

AlieOxon Sat 04-Jul-15 08:42:19

Bradford and Hillsborough stadium disasters....

sprite66 Sat 04-Jul-15 08:44:53

Tenth anniversary 7/7 bomb atrocity 5 days ago...

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 04-Jul-15 08:57:04

When the French journalists were shot the population of Paris, together with many EU leaders, took to the streets to show their disgust. A minute's silence wasn't that much to offer.

You could say these people were victims of war.

vampirequeen Sat 04-Jul-15 09:09:45

All victims of war are honoured in the Remembrance Day silence.

There are times when local silences take place but Remembrance Day is the only silence that should be national.

petallus Sat 04-Jul-15 12:22:50

I agree the silence should be for all innocent victims of war and other aggressive acts.

Katek Sat 04-Jul-15 15:00:59

Tbh I didn't even know it was happening until it was over. I have had a very busy week so not been online often or watching TV much so perhaps that's how I missed the info.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 05-Jul-15 10:10:38

At the school where my DD teaches, the teachers were given the choice of keeping the minute's silence with the children or not. She decided not to as she thought the last thing the children needed just as they are about to go off on their summer holidays is to be encouraged to dwell too deeply on terror attacks. I think she was right.

Anniebach Sun 05-Jul-15 10:30:53

I did stand on the river bank close to my home and looked at the mountains, my thoughts were on mans inhumanity to man in such a beautiful world