Gransnet forums

Chat

Part anyone?

(42 Posts)
Teetime Sat 04-Jul-15 11:22:36

As I was reflecting on my attitude to my increasing age I wondered when it was and how it was that began to dislike parties. Next year DH reaches a landmark birthday and its me rather than him (and he is no party animal) that is shuddering at the thought of a party. The year after next we will have our 40th wedding anniversary. Both DDs are clamouring for parties for both events but I'd rather leave the country. Am I being curmudgeonly in my old age, I used to love a party now I don't know what to say to anyone, don't fancy drinking or eating the food and usually hate the music. Is it just me?

Anne58 Sat 04-Jul-15 11:25:24

Must admit I too have gone right off parties. Would rather book a table in a restaurant for however many you would like to spend time with.

Teetime Sat 04-Jul-15 11:30:46

That's still a party though.

Pity I lost my 'y' on the thread title. grin

harrigran Sat 04-Jul-15 11:30:59

DH hates fuss but family were asking me what to do for his 70th. I booked a table at a local restaurant for lunch and then we went home for champagne. DH had never celebrated a birthday until we were married and had a family.

Jane10 Sat 04-Jul-15 12:30:12

Oh I'm so glad to read that its not just me who's stopped liking parties. I dread them now. I don't like to drink much and can't stand for very long any more. Hearing over a hubbub is problematical too and I find myself smiling and nodding at any old thing. I really enjoy a good chat at eg dinner but a big party is to be avoided these days. Pity as I've got one next week

Galen Sat 04-Jul-15 12:34:26

I took myself on a cruise for my 70th

thatbags Sat 04-Jul-15 12:52:34

I'm not a party animal either, and never have been. I thought it was something I'd kind of grow into at one point but that never happened. I like meeting people and chatting, having a meal, going to the theatre or for a walk, but just partying leaves me cold. They always seem a bit gushy and OTT to me.

merlotgran Sat 04-Jul-15 12:56:20

We went to a Warner Leisure hotel for DH's 70th which was a present from our children. His birthday is early in January so too close to Christmas for a party and he didn't want one anyway.

I like lunch parties in a restaurant but try and avoid any kind of 'do' that involves a lot of standing around. BBQs are OK because there's always the excuse that it's easier to eat sitting down. wink

And my dancing days are definitely over.

vampirequeen Sat 04-Jul-15 12:57:28

I have never liked parties and now I really hate them.

You should celebrate in the way that suits you the best and not try to please others.

When DH and I were planning to get married we thought that we would just book it and grab a couple of witnesses off the street but we allowed ourselves to be swayed by other people’s opinions so we invited guests. My mum hates DH and ignored him all day. Most of the other guests followed her lead and eventually we ended up in the outdoor play area with my daughters and our children/grandchildren. Apart from my daughters, the only person who spoke to DH was my lovely godmother who said that if I loved him then he must be a good man no matter what my mum said.

It didn’t spoil our wedding ceremony because we got married because we were committing to each other and not the guests but I could have done without the reception.

AshTree Sat 04-Jul-15 13:25:48

I really dislike parties these days. Standing in a crowded room, an unwanted drink in hand, people mouthing at you above the loud music. I can't lip read, and anyway mostly it's just talking for the sake of talking, not proper conversation. And the preparation! Having to find a suitable outfit, which for me usually means having to buy a suitable outfit, as I'm not a party animal and my wardrobe consists almost exclusively of comfortable casual wear.
No, not for me! I prefer a get together with a few friends, with good food and good conversation and perhaps a glass or two of wine, but not drinking for the sake of it.

ffinnochio Sat 04-Jul-15 13:41:31

The stand-up-and-mingle-and-drink loads kind of parties I loath. I enjoy a dance, but get that out my system once a week at Zumba. A get-together with friends over a meal, a good walk, a cherry picking gathering or a picnic and music evening are all fine. Gatherings that have a purpose, with like-minded people, win out every time.

MammaTJ Sat 04-Jul-15 13:48:39

I like a nice meal out with friends but that has already been declared a party.

I am not keen on parties myself, not 'proper' ones, although a B-B-Q at my house where everyone brings a bottle I could cope with.

Galen Sat 04-Jul-15 13:57:00

My 70th on the Queen Elizabeth with a cake made by Bellasnanna's daughter

Jane10 Sat 04-Jul-15 14:01:44

Lovely galen!

grrrranny Sat 04-Jul-15 14:04:06

Looks wonderful Galen. What a great way to celebrate.

Maggiemaybe Sat 04-Jul-15 14:08:52

Just me, then! grin I enjoy a party of any kind and size, whether a bit of a do with over 100 guests, music, dancing, food, drink and quiz, as we've had for our landmark birthdays and anniversary, or a meal out with the family. I'd hate to think that anyone who came to our dos hadn't enjoyed them, but our friends seem to be of the same mindset. I even love dressing up - we're going to an 80s and a 50s/60s themed party later this year and I'm looking forward to them immensely. I love dancing, love food, and have never yet not wanted the drink in my hand. wink

Great cake, Galen!

Galen Sat 04-Jul-15 14:09:33

The best bit was that meh Bellasnanna

Galen Sat 04-Jul-15 14:09:57

I met!

Maggiemaybe Sat 04-Jul-15 14:11:05

Teetime - surely if it's your party you can choose the food and music and get something you'll enjoy?

grrrranny Sat 04-Jul-15 14:12:03

'meh'? If that should be met Bellsnanna then I understand.

grrrranny Sat 04-Jul-15 14:12:31

Thought so

J52 Sat 04-Jul-15 14:24:12

I would always prefer to go somewhere to celebrate significant birthdays/ anniversaries.
It gives you the opportunity for self indulgence and wonderful memories. Parties are nice, but to me not quite the same.

We usually have a family meal out, as well.

x

janerowena Sat 04-Jul-15 14:32:17

I was rather hoping for a new and unwanted body part, teetime! A hip or a knee would be lovely... grin

I am already starting to get hopeful 'will you be having a 60th?' from family. I say NO very loudly, and 'Don't you dare organise a surprise one' and other such things. I enjoyed my DD's 30th and danced for about two hours, but that's my limit. The thought of going to a party I couldn't leave when I wanted to would be horrible. We often just put in an appearance and leave after an hour.

KatyK Sat 04-Jul-15 14:33:28

Chance would be a fine thing. I can't remember the last time anyone invited us to a party! sad

rosesarered Sat 04-Jul-15 14:34:28

Having had to go to lots of parties over the years, I enjoy the ones that don't involve loud music now.Wedding receptions all seem to have loud music blaring out too, so count those as parties. being forced to lip read a complete stranger's conversation and then yell back an answer while holding a glass of warm white wine should be reserved for one of those circles of Hell. all while wearing an 'outfit' and heeled shoes.
Booking a table/tables for the family and a lovely meal, or inviting everyone for a BBQ and being informal, are the way we do things now.