Gransnet forums

Chat

Good cup of tea

(36 Posts)
BiNtHeReDuNiT14 Tue 07-Jul-15 18:48:33

Don't know if there is already a thread for this but I travel up and down the country a good bit visiting family and friends and when I am at a Railway Station anywhere (if I have time) I usually like to go outside to find a cafe instead of paying through the nose for particular 'branded' coffees available in Station Concourses. Today I found a great one called ' Gees ' just outside Derby Station. A great mug of lovely fresh tea and a Bacon Bap ( a big one ) all for £3.30. and they had a cleanliness rating of 5. Thought it worth a mention. Anyone else found a little gem anywhere near a station?

Tegan Tue 07-Jul-15 19:27:30

I'd be very careful outside Derby Station Bit. The S.O. and I once spent an hour or so at the bus stop there [the buses to our village being very infrequent late at night and we'd missed one]watching very strange goings on at a house directly opposite the station confused! However, I'm glad you've metioned tea because I was, in fact, wanting to mention some tea that I'd found. I try to drink green tea, because it's good for me,so I buy it and then never drink it cause I hate the taste. But I've recently bought some Tick Tock green tea and it's great. I'm not yet up to the recomended three cups a day, but I'm getting there. Will check out Gees. Of course, if it was called Gee Gees there would be no holding me back from the place wink. Going off at a tangent, I'm not sure if you noticed the little terraced houses nearby. They wanted to pull them down years ago but we had a petition [I worked at the railway tech centre at the time] and saved them. There's also a fantastic little pub with it's own brewery on the same block [can't remember the name of it, though].

BiNtHeReDuNiT14 Tue 07-Jul-15 19:58:23

Ha Ha about the Gee Gee bit very good. Don't think I would hang around outside any station late at night. I did notice the houses well saved.

Greyduster Tue 07-Jul-15 21:54:41

I drink Tick Tock redbush. I didn't know they did green tea. Might try it!

Tegan Tue 07-Jul-15 21:58:11

I drink that, too. Found the green tea at my daughters.

Alea Tue 07-Jul-15 22:03:04

I always think the cup of tea they give you in hospital after you have had a baby is the best drink in the world -even if it could put hairs on your chest!grin

Nelliemoser Tue 07-Jul-15 23:12:22

Proper tea, real or decaff. Nothing else really hits the spot for me like a good brew. I don't drink coffee but I find the tea they sell in "the leading brand coffee shops" is quite disappointing.

I have not yet found anywhere in Europe where they get it just right.
They don't seem to understand about needing the water to be boiling. Then its Lipton's yellow lable which is not inspiring.

I did get a rubbish brew in a hotel restaurant in Aberstwyth a few weeks
I think all catering working staff in Britain should get proper lessons in making a good cup of tea.
ago but the tea in the bedrooms there was really good.
I wonder if tea drinkers in the UK are in the minority now.

I love foreign food of all sorts but I feel very deprived on holiday if I cannot get a good brew. Taylor's of Harrogate be proud.

Me! Addicted to tea? brew brew brew brew brew brew My final mug of tea of the day is in my hand now.

numberplease Tue 07-Jul-15 23:44:01

I love a mug of tea, but I bet none of you would like it the way I have it. My FIL used to call it "maidens pee", and "frightening it with a tea leaf"! I drink it very, VERY weak, no milk or sugar, but like it very hot. I like ordinary everyday tea, can`t stand all the fancy flavoured ones, especially Earl Grey, it`s like drinking liquid ointment!

ninathenana Tue 07-Jul-15 23:49:45

I never drink tea when we're out as they never make it to my liking.
At home love a mug of good old PG

Greyduster Wed 08-Jul-15 19:36:04

Weak tea without milk was the only thing my mother in law and I ever had in common - apart from that it was all down hill!

TheTunaFriendlyExperience Wed 08-Jul-15 22:14:54

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Galen Wed 08-Jul-15 22:38:45

hmm

Alea Wed 08-Jul-15 22:57:18

confused???
Wasn't it Mrs Doyle anyway?

Ana Wed 08-Jul-15 22:59:41

It certainly was, Alea.

And I do think you ought to get a better proof-reader, Harry...

NanKate Wed 08-Jul-15 23:06:17

I likes good strong cuppa with a small amount of milk - Tea Pigs are my current favourite.

Number you would not like an afternoon cuppa at my place as I have Earl Grey, or Lady Grey or Girlie Grey all perfumed or citrusy BLISS.

Nellie how many cups a day do you drink! I have 3 a day ?

feetlebaum Wed 08-Jul-15 23:19:35

Warm the pot - I don't know if it makes a difference, but I do it anyway.

Never wash the inside of the pot. Add the requisite number of spoonsful of loose tea leaves - I like Assam for a nice mahogany coloured drink.
Bring kettle to the boil and add the boiling water to the tea. Stir.

Allow to steep for about three minutes. Pour, through a strainer. Do not add milk or cream, but sweeten if preferred.

That's what I do every afternoon,.. (I grind and filter coffee beans in the morning).

Katek Wed 08-Jul-15 23:36:49

Can't beat a good, strong mug of Scottish Blend!

Friend recently made me a cup of hand tied flowering tea...jasmine, chrysanthemum and green tea. It looked beautiful but tasted awful-I felt compelled to drink it out of politeness!

soontobe Thu 09-Jul-15 07:58:09

I have a friend whose house actually smells of different blends of tea. Unless you can get airfresheners that are those flavours?

Nelliemoser Thu 09-Jul-15 08:07:28

Nankate I probably have a minimum of 5 mugs of tea a day. One down so far another when I have my breakfast. I will keep count today.

NanKate Thu 09-Jul-15 08:14:12

You do that Nellie and report back.

Feetlebaum you are a grandfather of refinement! I like your style. smile

glassortwo Thu 09-Jul-15 09:52:24

Cant beat a strong cup of Ringtons tea with only a drip of milk.

TheTunaFriendlyExperience Thu 09-Jul-15 10:45:09

Alea Indeed it was 'Mrs Doyle' rather than 'Miss Boyle'.. Quite a catastrophic failure on my behalf.. As much as i'd like to say i'd be getting rid of an intern for this error.. it was but me who originally wrote that..

feetlebaum Your attention to detail is fantastic!

Nelliemoser 5 mugs a day minimum? We think you should check out our film! bit.do/dsotc

Oh and finally NanKate.. We cannot agree with you more. Certainly Teapigs are the best on the mainstage! We like their tea so much we've been speaking to them on Twitter and they've agreed to send us some free samples. I would urge you to do the same!

Are you dunk or disorderly?

Harry

annodomini Thu 09-Jul-15 11:04:23

If I can't get Taylor's teas, I buy Waitrose's Ceylon tea which I have for breakfast. I sometimes have Earl Grey in the afternoon, though there's Earl Grey and Earl Grey and I don't like the more highly perfumed brands. I always use leaf tea (except for Redbush) in a filter teapot. As I like my tea subtle rather than overpoweringly strong and without milk, I'm a very economical tea drinker. I drink Redbush mid morning and evening to keep my caffeine consumption down.

Mamie Thu 09-Jul-15 14:21:45

Always leaf tea; Ceylon in the morning, Yunnan in the afternoon. Brewed four minutes, splash of milk in first.
No problems buying this in France, but English visitors always bring us teabags which we really don't like at all and we say thank you politely.

Gardendisy Thu 09-Jul-15 23:54:36

Not only must the tea be good, I think to experience it at its best it should be drunk from a nice , very fine bone china cup.