Gransnet forums

Chat

Poem for the day 4

(14 Posts)
Luckygirl Thu 30-Jul-15 10:11:12

In the Classroom of Touch by Charlotte Gann

This is how you hold a person, Mr Farnham says
demonstrating. Your touch needs to be light
but firm. Felt in the skin like a weight, a squeeze.

No sudden movements, please. Still is best.
The pupil he's performing on closes her eyes,
head slightly folded, like a bird's.

She's collapsed into his woollen front. See how
my arms arc? the teacher asks his class.
Hold each other like precious cargo.

Never be too rough. Don't shove into
the person you love. Don't steal touch.
Be clear about this: we give a hug. Thanks Lydia,

back to your chair now. Giles -? The boy
stares down at his shoes, face pink. His worst subject.
Mr Farnham waits quietly, cocks his head,

smiles. C'mon Giles, he says gently. The boy
staggers down the ragged aisle between assorted
classmates. Waits while this man

opens his arms. Falls forward, hiding his face,
his sobs. The teacher enfolds him carefully,
whispers You're doing well, Giles.

......................................................................................................

This is an interesting poem in the context of our fear of inappropriate touching; especially in the context of school, where teachers hardly dare so much as to wipe a grazed knee.

Anne58 Fri 31-Jul-15 09:15:11

Yes, it is interesting, and quite thought provoking. I don't know why, but it has put me in mind of "Brave New World" , by Aldous Huxley.

Luckygirl Fri 31-Jul-15 09:47:13

I can see why Brave New World springs to mind. The poem creates the idea that our normal human reactions have been so stifled that we have to be taught how to do them. It is especially powerful to me as it talks about Touch as just another subject on the curriculum. I thought that was a very interesting idea. I really like this poem.

Anne58 Fri 31-Jul-15 10:21:33

Your post in response to mine sums it up perfectly, Luckygirl !

PPP Fri 31-Jul-15 15:51:41

Beautiful poem.

grandMattie Fri 31-Jul-15 16:53:58

Am I alone in finding it creepy? confused

Bellanonna Fri 31-Jul-15 17:49:05

If it was written for a purpose then I don't really find it creepy. It all sounded quite appropriate and I actually enjoyed it.

greatmum Fri 31-Jul-15 18:06:04

Sorry ,
but I am 'mother' to more than a dozen offspring, who all love hugs! I find this very disquieting ! I do not think schools or churches should be involved with emotional welfare including sexual info; this is the job for parents and family!!!
Respect was what we were taught in school for teachers and those who such as police and such!!!

graninthemist Fri 31-Jul-15 22:18:33

I don't think the poet thinks that schools should be responsible for emotional welfare. In fact, her point is that they shouldn't be. It seems like a very sad poem to me, that the children have not learned to express emotion in a natural way outside the classroom. Mr. Farnham, with his 'wooly front' is not portrayed as a sinister, threatening figure.

Luckygirl Sat 01-Aug-15 08:32:56

I do not think that the poem is saying that school should be responsible for "teaching" children normal emotional/physical responses - I think she is trying to highlight the emotional wasteland that some children live in by setting up this rather extreme scenario where they need to learn this in school.

LouLou21 Sat 01-Aug-15 10:21:57

I thought it was a beautiful multi layered poem. Poetry is like any other art, you see in it and take from it whatever you want to.

Anne58 Sat 01-Aug-15 10:37:19

greatmum it's a poem, not a proposal for educational reform!

janerowena Sat 01-Aug-15 11:12:04

I think any good, kind teacher will be able to tell which pupils could really do with a hug. I would like to think that this man found a way around the problem of giving a much-needed hug in a situation where the child would feel safe. I didn't find it creepy at all. DBH is a teacher and he gets desperately upset by not being able to give comfort when he can see that it is needed. We are back to the days of a manly pat on the shoulder.

GrannyPeanut Mon 24-Aug-15 19:25:09

I recall reading this poem in a UK magazine. I wonder whether you have copyright permission to post it here? This concerns me, out of respect for the poet, more than whether or not the poem is 'creepy', though I agree with LouLou21. Perhaps LuckyGirl knows the author?
hmm