Gransnet forums

Chat

What is your most versatile item of clothing

(34 Posts)
etheltbags1 Fri 31-Jul-15 20:51:22

I found out the versatility of leggings this summer and wore them over a loose top to hide my op bump (no not a baby bump regretfully), I used to wear them occasionally under my trousers for work in the cold and then wear them off as pyjamas in the winter. They must be, for me the most versatile item of clothing ever invented. They come second to my cardis which are worn over t shirts, jumpers, bathing costume and under coats, waterptroofs etc according to the weather.
Just wondered what is anyone elses opinions on what is their most versatile item of clothing

Luckygirl Fri 31-Jul-15 21:42:48

Jeans without a doubt.

Ana Fri 31-Jul-15 21:49:24

Yes, jeans for me too. I've tried leggings but they don't feel or look right on me.

janerowena Fri 31-Jul-15 21:51:38

I love my leggings, too. I have them in several lengths. I even wear the cycleshort-length ones under dresses if I think I am going to get too hot and sticky, to prevent chafing. I have knee length ones under tunics for gardening, three-quarter length ones and ankle length. I too wear them under trousers in the winter, which means that I can carry on wearing quite thin trousers all year.

I also have an awful of of tunics, so I suppose they are my next most versatile - or is it my long wool cardigans, which double up as dressing-gowns, coats and cover-ups?

merlotgran Fri 31-Jul-15 21:54:43

Jeans for me and my long wool cardi doubles up as a dressing gown as well.

NanKate Fri 31-Jul-15 22:13:27

Scarves of all colours and textures. My velvet ones are the nicest.

They can be used to 'tart up' an outfit, to keep me warm when it is a bit parky outside.

Also I used one as a sling for my 4 year old GS who fell over and made a bit of a fuss. He loved the attention he got with my velvet leopard skin print scarf supporting his poorly arm.hmm

Coolgran65 Fri 31-Jul-15 22:53:34

Leggings and scarves - for all the reasons already given smile

gillybob Sat 01-Aug-15 08:46:06

Mine is my denim jacket. I couldn't live without it. I can be worn casually with chinos or leggings and tunic or worn with a pretty summer hmm what that? dress. I never do double denim though.

loopylou Sat 01-Aug-15 08:46:30

My jeggings and scarves, definitely.
I'd love to try leggings but can't find any I would feel comfortable wearing -any suggestions?

gillybob Sat 01-Aug-15 08:51:03

Try them with a longer style tunic loopylou then you will just feel like you are wearing thick tights. Anyone can wear leggings.

well anyone except our friend Absent grin

Teetime Sat 01-Aug-15 09:04:23

Black jeans - can be smart or casual depending on how you dress them up or down.

shysal Sat 01-Aug-15 09:34:31

I agree with Teetime. I have a few pairs of NYDJ black jeans, which can be smartened up with a jacket, worn casually with a T shirt, or somewhere between with a pretty top.

KatyK Sat 01-Aug-15 09:52:29

A pair of well worn Levi's. I also agree re the black jeans.

whitewave Sat 01-Aug-15 10:00:52

Often clothes that turn out really useful are often not purchased with usefulness in mind. I have a summers dress which was bought for a posh occasion but I turn to it again and again even though it is getting on in years it doesn't date and is so comfortable.

rosesarered Sat 01-Aug-15 20:01:19

Scarves of all kinds and cardies

Stansgran Sat 01-Aug-15 20:08:08

Denim skirts galore, all shades of denim ,long straight full,flared also a lovely denim jacket suggested by Gransnet from Orvis years ago. I don't do double denim . I have chino skirts and far too many striped long sleeved tops. I look like Max Wall in leggings or skinny jeans. Deeply embarrassing.

etheltbags1 Sat 01-Aug-15 21:43:24

I agree about the black jeans, I wear them for all sorts of occasions and as Ive said on here before until recently I just wore black trousers and had a few black tops with the jeans for weekends as Im not allowed them for my job, but since buying the summery patterned tops I realise I like coloured things and as long as my bottom is black I wear bright coloured tops.
stansgran I love denim skirts, I had a couple years ago and got rid of them as I preferred black but I really fancy a new denim skirt as they wash well and are so comfy.

Tegan Sat 01-Aug-15 21:52:05

I now live in leggings and have bought them in all different lengths. They're also much more comfortable than jeans when I fall asleep watching television [most nights blush]. And take up hardly any room in the suitcase if I'm packing to go somewhere.

grannyzanny Sun 02-Aug-15 00:31:15

Cotton 'hippie' trousers. I have several pairs and seem to live in them at the moment as they are so comfy smile

Pittcity Sun 02-Aug-15 09:58:15

Cardigans and leggings, both of which mean than Summer clothes can be worn for more than one week a year wink
I regularly have a cardi in my bag to add a layer when needed.

granjura Sun 02-Aug-15 16:03:56

black jeans too. I'm afraid leggings are just not for me- and I must say I am amazed to see so many women, especially young women- who really would be better with loose trousers than leggings- especially with shorter tops. I mean, I am chubby, so why not wear something that is so obliviously unflattering and makes you look even fatter??? Why?

granjura Sun 02-Aug-15 16:57:21

hmm 'why' not 'why not' ...

Tegan Sun 02-Aug-15 17:40:32

I feel comfortably invisible when I wear them granjura [at least, I think/hope that I do].

granjura Sun 02-Aug-15 17:58:06

I am so pleased for you - I wouldn't ;) Any see--through white ones ?

Ana Sun 02-Aug-15 18:02:08

grin

I just hope all you leggings-loving grans check your back view before you go out and about in them - and whatever you do, don't bend over!