Gransnet forums

Chat

so ashamed of teeth!

(57 Posts)
fillygumbo Sun 02-Aug-15 00:34:24

Im having the rest of my teeth out this week, I already had a partial denture and now apparently the rest need to go. On some counts I don`t mind that too much as the ones I have left are so ugly. The thing is that firstly I am dreading it the bit in the chair first, secondly I am going to have to go home that day toothless as won`t get full dentures till next day and lastly am so ashamed I just hate anyone knowing I am only 64 so should not be ion this state. I am just wondering what other grans think and if there is anyone out there in the same boat.

HappyNan1 Sun 02-Aug-15 00:42:45

I'm not in the same boat filly gumbo but remember when we were all young a trip to the dentist really was awful, I had some terrible experiences as I'm sure many others did. At least when it's done you'll feel so much better and will be able to beam�� at everyone. Nothing at all to be ashamed of and you're getting them done now. Thank goodness it's all so much better these days, at the dentist I mean.
Sending you hugs and flowers, just stay at home for a few days until your mouth settles down, put your feet up and read a good booksmile

HappyNan1 Sun 02-Aug-15 00:43:55

The beam should have been grin showing off your new gnashers

Coolgran65 Sun 02-Aug-15 01:17:52

No shame at all.
I have a mix of crowns, partial chrome denture, and my own teeth. I spend a lot of time at the dentist trying to hold onto those teeth that are still remaining. I have suggested to dentist that we just get rid of the lot and go for a full denture, he doesn't agree.
I reckon it'd look more attractive and healthy than what's there.

The bit in the chair will be ok, take your loveliest big scarf with you and drape it over your head and mouth a la French film star style
It will be worth it.

I was without my partial denture for a few hours while it was repaired and used a mask like dentists wear whilst around the house..

Mildred Sun 02-Aug-15 09:20:31

Me too, I have a partial denture and cling on to my remaining teeth. I am sure it will be over quickly and there is no I will be thinking of you as I hate going to the dentist too.

Teetime Sun 02-Aug-15 09:52:04

filly I feel for you as I used to be petrified of the dentist but everything is so much better these days and you are going to look fabulous with your new teeth. As to the state of our teeth some people got lucky and some people didn't like the rest of our health issues its not your fault. I love the suggestion of a floaty glamorous scarf - I would add some dark glasses and make like Garbo for a few days. Good luck with it. flowers

fillygumbo Sun 02-Aug-15 09:57:50

thanks grans I feel a little less freakish after your kind words and I too like the floaty scarf idea - this week will soon be over.

KatyK Sun 02-Aug-15 10:30:10

Don't feel so bad. I have had full dentures since the age of 11 ! I know that everyone's situation is bad for them so I know that won't make you feel much better. I always thought they put the dentures in the same day that they took the teeth out.

sherish Sun 02-Aug-15 10:42:13

I had a partial denture at 15 and a full one at 26. My teeth looked good outwardly but they weren't good at all. I am now 68 and have had several sets of dentures since then. Some have been better than others. My only advice is having them in straight after extraction can mean that when your gums shrink the dentures may be loose. Don't hesitate to go back to your dentist as they may be able to do something to make them more snug or if not then invest in a new set. It is always worth it to be confident about your teeth and your smile. Good luck, I'm sure it will be worth it for you.

Gracesgran Sun 02-Aug-15 11:24:15

Well done fillygumbo for bringing up this subject. I really do feel for you with the dentist bit but I hope your new teeth will be a great improvement for you.

We have had so many subjects on here that we tend not to discuss in "real" life and every time they have come up I have found them really useful. I know I am heading for at least a partial denture and, like you, I feel very aware of how that might be seen. Reading these posts has made me ask if the truth is much more likely to be that many people have the same challenges and just don't talk about them!

Good luck and let us know how it goes. I am hoping to see lots of hints and tips like shirish's

Falconbird Sun 02-Aug-15 11:37:15

fillygumbo

My heart goes out to you and I have posted on here quite recently about having a wisdom and another tooth out and another extraction on Tuesday.

I've always looked after my teeth but the dentist says it's just one of those things that happen as we grow older. My problems are caused by teeth grinding and lots of fillings and refillings which are giving up now.

You're doing the right thing. My mil had awful teeth and never went to the dentist and unfortunately she passed on the fear to my OH who suffered appalling tooth ache in later years and lived on painkillers.

trisher Sun 02-Aug-15 11:57:22

I have had full dentures for a long time and still don't like talking about it. When people discuss visits to the dentist I usually opt out and pretend I have a phobia, only really close friends know the truth. Well done for raising the subject fg. Thanks. Can I also ask anyone who is having trouble with teeth crumbling to ask their doctor about having a bone scan? Osteoporosis is sometimes indicated, particularly if there is a family history. I started treatment in my 50s and am now on a drug holiday because my bones are much stronger.

tanith Sun 02-Aug-15 12:28:07

I too had a partial denture in my teens, after horrendous dental treatment and not looking after them when I was young. I struggled on for years with the partial and gradually deteriorating teeth. When I was late 30's finally I decided enough was enough and bit the bullet by then my teeth were awful and the dentist agreed with me that full dentures would be the answer, the actual treatment was done over 3 visits removing the side teeth first and they she made impressions of my mouth, then as she removed the front teeth she fitted an immediate denture the whole thing was much less traumatic than I had anticipated.
The immediate denture needed replacing after a few months when my gums settled down and shrank back, I had NHS ones at first but if you can afford it I would recommend having a private dentures made they look much nicer and fit better.. good luck and don't worry about being without teeth for a day or two , seriously no one will probably notice anyway. Only my close family/friends know I have dentures no need to be ashamed , dental phobia is more common than you know.

Luckygirl Sun 02-Aug-15 12:46:24

I see no reason to feel ashamed about having problem teeth and needing a denture. I am sure it will all go swimmingly and you will soon be smiling and enjoying your new gnashers.

The image of wizened old ladies with their teeth in a glass by the bed is very old hat - implants and dentures are common in all ages.

mirryben31 Sun 02-Aug-15 13:17:03

I know exactly how you feel. I had a tooth infection which started three weeks ago; whilst on holiday it was so painful I had to visit an emergency dentist and have the tooth extracted and then again as I had a dry socket (which was worse than the original pain). I am now suffering from nerve pain and waiting to see if it heals . If not, I have to see a neurologist! My remaining teeth are crumbling from being filled over, and over and I feel it is only a matter of time before I have to face the reality of having dentures. I am resigned to this but am afraid that , as people on here have stated, that NHS dentures are sometimes badly fitting and look awful. Good luck with your new teeth filly, I hope it all goes well for you.

kittylester Sun 02-Aug-15 13:52:51

NHS dentures should not be badly fitting! If they are, the dentist is not doing the impressions etc correctly. It might be worth paying to have 'private' teeth to get the colour right. Older dentists are probably a better bet for dentures as they will have had more experience in making them.

Immediate dentures will probably need replacing after 6 months or so but a reline might be all that is needed.

It isn't so long ago that people opted to have their teeth removed and dentures fitted as the cost of on-going dental treatment was such a lot - my grandfather had that done when he was 21.

whitewave Sun 02-Aug-15 13:54:54

And my mother at 26. Had dentures all her life now 97

kittylester Sun 02-Aug-15 13:58:10

Currently, dental provision for housebound people is sadly lacking but people with dentures can at least have them replaced fairly easily if the service is funded in their area.

joannapiano Sun 02-Aug-15 14:08:09

I had two teeth out back in January, and now need a small denture. I have been putting off going back to the Dentist, for the simple reason that having an impression made with that awful blue playdough stuff, makes me retch and feel I'm going to suffocate.
Any tips to overcome this, anyone?

Gracesgran Sun 02-Aug-15 15:07:48

I think anything in your mouth can feel like such an invasion. I don't have any tips joannapiano but I bet someone can help.

My mother had all her teeth out as a present when she was 30. What a change in attitude! Thank you all for sharing your experiences. I am sure it takes some of the trepidation out.

farmor51 Sun 02-Aug-15 15:59:32

No shame, fillygumbo. I'm 64 too and my teeth seem to be going one by one, causing a lot of trouble. I still have all my front teeth thankfully. I had a denture made, but it hurts too much and I just can't get used to the palate. Thinking very hard about getting a flexible denture made of Valplast. Has anyone tried it?

shabby Sun 02-Aug-15 16:04:07

joannapiano My dentist offers iTero Digital impression but it is a private dentist - not sure if you can get this on the NHS but it eliminate the need to have impressions made using 'putty'. iTero is a revolutionary new technique, which is used to create dental impressions. iTero technology uses digital 3D images of the patient’s mouth, rather than dental trays and putty and can be used to create a range of different dental devices. The technology ensures that impressions are extremely accurate and eliminates the need for re-appointment. Dentists are often required to create impressions of patient’s teeth on a regular basis, with the success of many different treatments and devices dependent on a well appointed, accurate impression. The current way of taking impressions involves the use of dental putty; the process can be difficult to get right, it can be inaccurate and it can also be very uncomfortable for patients. iTero technology is set to revolutionise the way dentists create dental impressions. The new technique will reduce time in the dentist’s chair, improve accuracy, reduce mess and eliminate the need for further appointments.

joannapiano Sun 02-Aug-15 16:44:34

Thanks,*shabby*, that is really helpful. I'll ask my Dentist about it.
She is fairly recently qualified, and very open to new ideas.

jamsidedown Sun 02-Aug-15 16:46:41

Hello, I don't post very much but I love reading the posts, and this has really struck a chord with me. I am 62 and my teeth are a disaster. I didn't look after them in my youth, and have had many extractions over the years (thankfully at the back of my mouth) Now I have to decide what to do next as my remaining teeth are becoming loose under the strain, and. I won't be able to chew if this goes on - thank goodness I'm a veggie!

Anyway, I have been contemplating dentures but the dentist has been quite off putting, saying most people don't wear them. I have thought about implants but the cost is prohibitive for the number of implants I'd need (and I've heard about dental tourism but I don't think I could face the actual procedures. I have heard that a metal plate to dentures is more comfortable - does anyone have any experience of these and these issues? I am like that Pam Ayres song "I wish I'd looked after me teeth".

And why are we so embarrassed and ashamed to talk about this particular issue?

KatyK Sun 02-Aug-15 16:57:42

I have been ashamed and embarrassed that I have worn full dentures since the age of 11 all my life. I'm not sure why I have been so ashamed. It was not my fault, but the fault of my parents. It's not the norm for a child and I wanted to be like everyone else which I wasn't.