Gransnet forums

Chat

Granddaughter's Christening

(49 Posts)
1dontfeellikeagrandmother Sun 02-Aug-15 11:42:54

Ok, wouldn't want anyone to feel sorry for me but my granddaughter is being christened at 12 noon today wearing the shawl I knitted with love and I will not be there. The reason? I live 180 miles away from my family and I was told that I would not be able to stay with them as they wished to be on their own and would be having people around in the evening and I can book into a hotel. I am a very healthy pensioner and now on my own. Have done everything to being a mum and father at certain times in their lives visited 4 times last year but told only on the proviso that I just stay overnight or the most two nights. I am just told they are too busy to invite me or to travel to visit me. On Friday I was told by one of my daughter's "what do you want us to do? Bow down and kiss your feet". Have not see granddaughter since last Christmas, when I left early in the morning and drove for 3 hours, cooked a full Christmas meal, baby sat until 3 in the morning on the Saturday and left on Sunday morning having only slept for about 3 hours on a camp bed because they were going to "dad's" for Christmas meal when the normal arrangements would be to see their father the following week as has been the norm for many years!

My granddaughter is 13 months old and I have seen her three times. Am I being unreasonable?

annsixty Sun 02-Aug-15 11:55:25

No you are not!! Disappointed, upset, heartbroken even. Unreasonable? No.

Greenfinch Sun 02-Aug-15 12:01:06

Young people can be very thoughtless. I don't think they realise how much our grandchildren mean to us especially when they are tiny.

Atqui Sun 02-Aug-15 12:10:38

How terribly sad for you.

tanith Sun 02-Aug-15 12:18:25

Thats very sad indeed is there no possibility that you could move closer to your family? as it seems unlikely they would move to be closer to you.

ninathenana Sun 02-Aug-15 12:26:52

Definitely not unreasonable.
flowers

1dontfeellikeagrandmother Sun 02-Aug-15 13:44:37

I am so moved by your kind messages and support it has really helped me. Thank you so much.

To Tanith, I have retired to a beautiful part of England on the south coast where I lived as a young woman and really thought that my children would wish to come and stay.

KatyK Sun 02-Aug-15 13:48:05

Poor you flowers

Greenfinch Sun 02-Aug-15 15:09:35

Then there is hope. As you live by the sea they may well appreciate a "free holiday" when the little one is old enough to enjoy the beach.

1dontfeellikeagrandmother Sun 02-Aug-15 15:13:50

I hope so. Thank you.

Coolgran65 Sun 02-Aug-15 23:06:35

So sad that you don't get to see your dgd more often. I think you were exceptional in driving for three hours, cooking, etc.

Grandma2213 Mon 03-Aug-15 01:45:28

My heart goes out to you flowers. I agree with Greenfinch about young people being thoughtless and I also think she may be right in that a free holiday might be a draw in the future.

You are definitely not unreasonable. Try to keep positive and, in the meantime enjoy the beauty of the area you have chosen and make the most of every moment you can spend with your DGD. Take lots of photos if you can.

1dontfeellikeagrandmother Mon 03-Aug-15 11:00:50

Hi, good morning everyone and once again, I appreciate your comments and your support. It is wonderful, thank you.

Yesterday has come and gone and I am feeling so much better. Why do our children behave like this when you have been a good mum? I sometimes think and, I do say this tongue in cheek, "where did I go wrong" lols! I know that I have been a good mum and my family and friends have always said that.

I came back to England two and a half years ago to be nearer my children after living and working in another country (even paid their air fares to visit me) thinking it wouldn't be too much of an effort for them to come down here?!

Anyway, I am not one to dwell on emotional turmoil, luckily I do bounce back quickly and I am going to make a Latte now, take a step back (maybe two) and see how the week pans out!

Enjoy your day!

annsixty Mon 03-Aug-15 11:04:38

Good for you. No point in dwelling on things. Onwards and upwards, not always easy but we must tryflowers

ginny Mon 03-Aug-15 11:16:51

Sorry you have been upset.

Make the most of any time you can spend with your DGD. Can you keep in touch by sending little things in the post? She may not realise who they are from now but as she gets older she will love getting post of her own and will know who they are from. Do keep all lines of communication open and I hope the situation gets better.

1dontfeellikeagrandmother Mon 03-Aug-15 11:46:37

Thank you ladies.

I have always enjoyed the pleasure of buying thoughtful beautiful presents and the knitting of course and, will continue to do so. Not only for my DGD but for anyone I love and care about.

I also buy classic children's books for my DGD's library (something which I did for my own children) and sometimes I come across very old books from my childhood days. I recently bought a nursery rhyme book so that when we last Skyped (before the Christening) I was able to sing them to her as I had forgotten the words and it did attract her attention!

Does anyone remember Children's Favourites?

Everything we do is with love or, it should be...

ginny Mon 03-Aug-15 12:33:19

I do remember children's favourites . Was it on a Saturday morning ?

Glad you were able to Skype you DGD. You are laying all the foundations for a relationship. What a shame her parents can't at the moment realise what their daughter can gain from your love and care.

1dontfeellikeagrandmother Mon 03-Aug-15 13:05:55

Thanks Ginny,

Yes it was on a Saturday morning haha! I loved it.

I actually bought an LP with the popular songs but I can't remember the name of it (must try and google) for my children and they adored it but somehow it has been lost over the years. so, that's an idea to find it for my DGD as I do not know what happened to it.

"The Runaway Train"
"I'm a Pink Toothbrush You're a Blue Toothbrush"
"Ugly Duckling"
"Windmill in Old Amsterdam"

Getting carried away now, there were loads!

Oh such innocence...

Greenfinch Mon 03-Aug-15 13:19:43

How much is that doggy in the window?

1dontfeellikeagrandmother Mon 03-Aug-15 13:26:40

haha yes! Loved it.

fillygumbo Mon 03-Aug-15 13:32:41

of course yanbu you must feel terribly hurt, I hope for you that when your dd matures herself she may realise how unkind she has been. For the sake of future relations I would try and rise above it and not complain and do everything you can to keep in touch with your precious gd.

1dontfeellikeagrandmother Mon 03-Aug-15 13:59:16

Thank you fillygumbo for your support.

Luckygirl Mon 03-Aug-15 14:18:58

Well done for picking yourself up - it is hard when our children are thoughtless.

One of your posts made me feel quite guilty - not what you intended I am sure! My parents moved to a seaside town in the hope that we would visit with the children a lot and we did not do so - for very sound reasons as their marriage was not a pleasure to witness, and I could not hack it and did not want my children to have to either. But now that I am a grandparent I realise how hurt they must have been.

Luckygirl Mon 03-Aug-15 14:19:43

Just to clarify - we did of course visit regularly, but chose to take our holidays elsewhere.

lilihu Mon 03-Aug-15 14:32:56

They are being selfish and inconsiderate... However that is how some young people are these days. It often has no link to the way they were brought up!
I'm sure that as they mature, they'll realise how they are behaving.
When you mentioned that you had lived abroad, it made me think that they had probably got used to you not being close by and that long standing habit of not seeing you may have got stuck.
Even if the parents are too busy, one day soon, your DGD will be able to come and stay with you for her own little holiday, even if it involves you travelling there one day and back another!
I think I would try and appear serene and accepting. Regulary offer them a little holiday and suggest that they'll be able to stay with you but still do their own thing. That way you would still get to spend some time with the little one and they could still go off as if they were on holiday alone??? If they decline, don't quibble just say that the offer is always there!