Gransnet forums

Chat

'Baby Boomers' and Alcohol

(149 Posts)
Marmight Mon 24-Aug-15 08:24:55

Apparently, according to Bill on Breakfast this morning, Baby Boomers aged 65+ are drinking an unprecedented and dangerous amount of alcohol.
I certainly buy more the days, but it is the younger generation who consume most of it! I think we should worry more about them than us......

Alea Mon 24-Aug-15 08:33:15

There was a rather sad, dare I say sobering, programme on Radio 4 yesterday about what they called "over age" drinking, alcoholism among the elderly which is apparently a very real issue. About 4.30 I think.

soontobe Mon 24-Aug-15 08:41:22

I watched part of the Virgin Atlantic series, and they said that the people who buy the most drinks at pre departure are the 65+ age group. [it could have been the first class lounge].

kittylester Mon 24-Aug-15 08:41:36

I think baby boomers are just catching up as we didn't drink anything like as much when we were young!

soontobe Mon 24-Aug-15 08:44:48

I think it is a bit of a hidden issue.
I recently helped to clear out my auntie's and uncle's house.
I dont think they had a drink problem, but I was surprised to discover whiskey bottles in just about every room of the house

Even that doesnt say something, but I couldnt come up with a reason why some of the bottles were in the places they were.

Grannyknot Mon 24-Aug-15 08:46:21

I grew up in a home where very little alcohol was consumed, a bottle of sherry was brought out on special occasions at a meal - and probably a bottle would last a year! Now I enjoy an occasional glass of wine or those slender tins of gin and tonic pre-mixed, nice and cold out the fridge. Found a really nice one with an elderflower mixer at Lidl the other day.

As I teenager I used to hate going to friends' homes where their folks and friends of their parents would be pretty drunk come dinner time - despite being so-called social drinkers. Even now, I can't stand boozy older people.

ginny Mon 24-Aug-15 08:53:42

Certainly doesn't apply to me. I don't drink at all. Never found anything I like the taste of. DH enjoys the odd glass of wine with dinner and an occasional pint. As far as I know most of our friends drink moderately and certainly not on a regular basis.

Grannyknot I quite agree although not just oldies. I have no problem with people having a drink and being relaxed or just a little merry. It does make me feel very uncomfortable when I can see they have gone over what they can deal with and don't realise how their personalities and actions change.

Alea Mon 24-Aug-15 08:57:03

I think anybody who had whisky bottles in just about every room in the house did indeed have a drink problem, soontobe but clearly concealed it rather well.
The thing is we joke about drink don't we, in a way we wouldn't joke about smoking? But health risk for health risk what's the difference? OK passive smoking is an issue and it can be extremely anti social not to say disgusting to be in a smoke filled environment, but whoever caused a car accident due to over smoking? Who beat up their wife and kids because they had smoked too much?
Drinking is a pleasant part of being sociable we say (and I agree) but drinking can also mean sitting on a pavement with a bottle of cheap cider, or alone in a room with a bottle of whisky for company.
Alcohol abuse is substance abuse and if older people are damaging their health and their lives they may need sensitive help.

merlotgran Mon 24-Aug-15 08:57:55

When I was growing up it was quite normal to have a well stocked cocktail cabinet but apart from Dad having the occasional beer and Mum enjoying her pre-lunch sherry on a Sunday it was hardly ever touched. Visitors were always offered a choice of drinks because it was there.

If I kept a full cocktail cabinet these days, DH would just get stuck in! grin

Teetime Mon 24-Aug-15 09:02:03

Well I'll hold my hand up and say I drink too much - a few glasses of wine per night but I'm not 65 yet so it doesn't count. grin

Marmark1 Mon 24-Aug-15 09:05:39

Only ever have the one,two and I'm anybody's

annsixty Mon 24-Aug-15 09:10:11

I'm with you Teetime not every night but when I do I will enjoy a G&T and half a bottle of wine. My life is difficult enough without foregoing that pleasure and at 78 just how many more years do I want?

hildajenniJ Mon 24-Aug-15 09:13:45

I was just saying to my DH last night that I can't remember the last time I had a glass of wine. We never have any in the house. We need to buy it in specially if we are entertaining. (Which is a very rare occurrence here). I didn't want it to drink either. I had been watching Rick Stein in Croatia on his current gastronomic journey. They used lots of white wine in the cooking of the food, and it all looked delicious. I was brought up in a Methodist household, and was tee total until my late twenties. I only ever have an occasional glass of wine or the odd g & t. I hardly ever think of drinking alcohol.

petra Mon 24-Aug-15 09:27:07

Soontobe. Thanks for the laugh.
"I don't think they had a drink problem, but I was surprised to discover whiskey bottles I just about every room of the house"
Priceless!!!
Unlike me when I knew my Mother had a drink problem when I was burying her bottles in the garden.

petra Mon 24-Aug-15 09:31:26

Soontobe. It was a joke, wasn't it?

soontobe Mon 24-Aug-15 09:33:52

Sigh.

Alea Mon 24-Aug-15 09:36:41

blush Oops!
I took it literally! Too early in the morning for me to get that it was meant to be ironic.

soontobe Mon 24-Aug-15 09:38:33

I give you my other cheek.

If you have things to get out of your system, you can list them here.
I hope Marmight doesnt mind.

If she does, and she is quite ok to mind on what is an interesting thread, I can start a thread for anyone who wishes to fully air their thoughts about me

Otherwise, you may wish to be quiet, so we can all get back to the discussion.

soontobe Mon 24-Aug-15 09:40:22

I am talking to petra 9.38am

No it wasnt ironic. I dont do ironic.

Bellanonna Mon 24-Aug-15 09:41:54

Soon, to be fair, I think you meant to say " I didn't think", rather than I don't think. I think. You don't usually do irony.

Bellanonna Mon 24-Aug-15 09:42:18

Missed quotes. Sorry

annsixty Mon 24-Aug-15 09:43:45

Another thread spoiled by sniping, or am I just sensitive today?

ninathenana Mon 24-Aug-15 09:44:35

Well if you visit me I can offer you several different spirits, white or red wine, sherry, beer. It's all been sitting there a long time in fact some of the spirits may be off. I can't remember the last time I had alcohol but when I'm in the mood I can finish a bottle of white wine by myself smile If that's what gives you pleasure in older age then why not. As long as it's not to the point where it affects others.
I'm surprised when I see older people with multiple bottles in their shopping trolleys, I wonder how they afford it.

nightowl Mon 24-Aug-15 09:47:21

No annsixty I don't think you're sensitive today. Not unless I am too. It's another of those threads that makes me wonder how old we all are.

Alea Mon 24-Aug-15 09:49:59

Marmight is a lovely lady and unlikely to set herself up as an arbitrator, so why ask her "permission"? Nobody "owns" the contents of a thread they start, although it can be frustrating if it is derailed especially early on.
You must admit your post of 8.44 was funny though!

Yes it is a serious topic and reading through today's paper I see that the subject is very much in the news.
Too easy to laugh it off unless one has personal experience (as the radio programme maker did) and we need to be aware of the dangers not only to health ( it is NEVER too late to be aware) but to quality of life. A glass of wine may make you smile and seems a long way from liver damage or obesity or solitude and poverty.