Gransnet forums

Chat

How stupid is Corbyn getting

(290 Posts)
12Michael Wed 26-Aug-15 07:48:59

Just seen the latest proposal of that possible Labour leader he wants women only carriages n trains, some of his ideas are stupid hope he does not win, because things like renationalisation of rail etc costs money, to pay for most of his ideas in his world , it would increase the basic rate of Income Tax to 35%.

Jane10 Wed 26-Aug-15 07:54:24

I'd quite like ladies only carriages on trains actually. Having had to put up with drunken football fans on some journeys it would be a welcome change. There have been several nasty assaults on trains locally and even the comparatively less dangerous taking of photos on mobile phones up women's skirts!
So good luck Corbyn or whoever would promote ladies only compartments!

Indinana Wed 26-Aug-15 07:59:56

I can't see there being sufficient resources to police it though. Who's going to stop drunken football fans getting in the 'ladies only' carriages?

rosesarered Wed 26-Aug-15 08:05:30

Can we really take another Corbyn thread?I don't particularly want a ladies only carriage, or any form of segregation, but this isn't the worst of the man's ideas by a long chalk.Yes, lots of his ideas are stupid, but doubt he will ever be PM and in a position to implement them anyway.

Leticia Wed 26-Aug-15 08:08:55

I think it is a huge backward step to get women only carriages. The men get the whole train and women get one carriage!

glammanana Wed 26-Aug-15 08:09:34

There would have to be extra guards in these carriages to stop males boarding and that will put the cost of travelling up for the customer also females who are the worst for drink and in noisy groups are as intimidating and frightening as a group of men sometimes.This chap has not thought his idea through and is just after the female vote if he ever gets elected.

Iam64 Wed 26-Aug-15 08:10:00

The idea of women only carriages has some appeal given the awful behaviour of a few groups of drunken men. Our local tram service is to be avoided after some football matches - just unspeakable frankly. I suspect Indinana is right though, not enough resources either to ensure it happened or to provide enough carriages.

Grannyknot Wed 26-Aug-15 08:14:09

My neighbour told me recently that there used to be "female only" carriages when she was a growing up - and gave the fact that there are now mixed carriages only as a reason for being scared to travel by train! So it's a recycled idea then?

Grannyknot Wed 26-Aug-15 08:14:31

Stray "a" in there ... oops.

Leticia Wed 26-Aug-15 08:15:49

Young men getting on a train are statistically in far more danger on a train than women of my age group.

EhUp Wed 26-Aug-15 08:15:53

Would it even be legal?

vampirequeen Wed 26-Aug-15 08:24:29

I love Corbyn. Women only carriages appeal to me, along with quiet carriages which are phone and ipod buzzing free. But I guess it's impractical.

Indinana Wed 26-Aug-15 08:38:17

Yes, Grannyknot, I remember the Ladies Only carriages - I think they were still in existence when I was commuting to London in the 60s.

rosesarered Wed 26-Aug-15 08:40:27

The last time I was on a train, in the so called quiet carriage, the men were quiet, the women were all yakking loudly and foul mouthed-ly on their mobiles.

whitewave Wed 26-Aug-15 08:42:18

Would be nic e just to get a seat at times

rosesarered Wed 26-Aug-15 08:44:11

I remember the ladies only carriages in the past, they were so women didn't have to hear a swear word or put up with pipe smoke etc.ditto the ladies only waiting rooms ( with comfy sofas and a fire going in the hearth!) seeems like something from history.grin

rosesarered Wed 26-Aug-15 08:45:53

Well, thinking about it, it is something from history!

soontobe Wed 26-Aug-15 08:47:42

This is one of those rare threads where I start off with one opinion, nad after posts are made, I change my mind.

If it has been done before, my guess is that it worked.

I cant see it getting policed properly, and probably it shouldnt as the cost would be huge, but like there are quiet carriages, there could be ladies only ones.

I dont particularly like the idea, but I can see that at certain times, perhaps later at night , and footbal matches etc, they would have their place.

I also dont like the idea of segregation at all, but can see that occasionally choosing it may be useful.

thatbags Wed 26-Aug-15 08:49:47

The idea of women only carriages, while it may have attractions at times, is also worrying. My worry would be that it would be used to justify gender segregation in other places, such as that ridiculous time at a lecture at LSE, and of that I could not approve.

I also don't think the idea of pulling out of NATO is fully thought through.

Two weeks to go, is it? I think there's a countdown to the leadership vote in the Mirror online.

rosesarered Wed 26-Aug-15 08:53:02

Really? Sort if like a countdown to Christmas? Only not so much fun.

thatbags Wed 26-Aug-15 08:54:13

If I remember correctly, this one's counting the seconds! Only saw it in passing and chuckled.

rosesarered Wed 26-Aug-15 08:59:16

grin

nightowl Wed 26-Aug-15 09:28:00

Here is quite a balanced report of Jeremy Corbyn's proposals from that well known left wing newspaper the Daily Mail.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3211045/Corbyn-plans-women-train-carriages-curb-sex-pests-public-transport-24-hour-helpline-report-attacks-reveals-policy-harassment.html

Strangely enough Claire Perry, Conservative transport minister has been considering this idea as well. Is she stupid too?

rosesarered Wed 26-Aug-15 09:30:27

Yes.

rosesarered Wed 26-Aug-15 09:34:19

It wouldn't work these days.There would be few who would respect it, especially at busy times,and it couldn't be enforced.