Gransnet forums

Chat

Good riddance! Things you don't see anymore, thank heavens!

(131 Posts)
Anne58 Wed 26-Aug-15 18:12:07

Dandycord kitchen mats, drop an egg on one of those and unless you took it outside & hosed it down you could never get rid of it (bleurgh)

Brushed bri nylon sheets, much loved by B&B landladys back in the day. (Often purple, for some reason confused

Or perhaps they haven't disappeared, just fallen out of favour and are still available, stored in vast warehouses somewhere?

Notso Wed 26-Aug-15 18:17:39

Wooden clothes airers....they always marked your 'whites'.

Coolgran65 Wed 26-Aug-15 18:33:09

As a wedding gift I received a bedding set comprising.....
2 Nylon sheets and 4 nylon pillow cases.
2 blankets
A nylon bedspread with frilled skirt....that never stayed on the bed.
All in bright purple.
At the time (1973) I was very appreciative.

J52 Wed 26-Aug-15 18:48:37

Snap Coolgran, mine were yellow 1974!
x

hulahoop Wed 26-Aug-15 18:59:06

We got double nylon fitted sheets took some on honeymoon I cottage all beds in 3bdrooms single we had to push beds tog and cut sheets probably
Best thing for them on reflection but upset at time as money was tight
Plus they were a pressie not purple though (pale lemon) my bedroom was lilac and purple though all rage along with brown and orange for downstairs .
Wood clothes horses made good tent for kids as well ��

Luckygirl Wed 26-Aug-15 19:03:49

Good riddance........to sanitary belts and towels - yuk!

annsixty Wed 26-Aug-15 19:28:46

The brushed nylon you stuck to, the shiny ones you slid about on, not conducive to young couples!! Will have to thing about what I am glad to see the back of.

Anne58 Wed 26-Aug-15 19:29:17

Oh heavens Luckygirl how could I have overlooked that one! (definitely need a "bleurgh" emoticon)

Although at least in my time they were disposable, just imagine having to make and wash them shock

Pittcity Wed 26-Aug-15 19:30:08

Itchy grey army blankets went over our nylon sheets!

They were talking about videotapes on the One Show yesterday and I say good riddance to impossible to programme Video Recorders.

annsixty Wed 26-Aug-15 19:31:04

I can remember that, it was disgusting, really bad. I had closed my mind to it!!

annsixty Wed 26-Aug-15 19:34:54

Making up coal fires first thing in the morning and getting washed in icy cold water because the "back boiler" wasn't heating up yet. Hooray for Central heating.

annsixty Wed 26-Aug-15 19:36:19

A bath on Friday night and washing your hair once a week. I am on a roll now.

FarNorth Wed 26-Aug-15 19:39:59

Being told that hopping out of bed onto cold linoleum was good for you.

tiggypiro Wed 26-Aug-15 19:59:19

Having to wee in a 'gazunda' and then having to empty it. Going up the yard to the outside privy (wooden bench with a hole in it and a bucket underneath). This was worst when you were unlucky enough to be first there in the morning after a foot of snow had fallen overnight.

annsixty Wed 26-Aug-15 20:10:09

tiggypiro you are bringing back such happy memories for me of my early schooldays. I was brought up in a Derbyshire village and one of our teachers was a farmer's daughter . Our school treats, also sports day and Sunday school treats were spent on their farm, races trying to dodge cow pats but how many times did we girls need the loo? It was in a shed with a two holer so we could go together and perch on the scrubbed wooden throne. We don't see it any more but such a magical time I actually feel sorry that children no longer experience such simple times.

apricot Wed 26-Aug-15 20:20:59

Having a coal fire only in the sitting room. It was lit at tea-time. We lived in a big Victorian house, freezing cold and we went to bed in unheated rooms and slept under piles of blankets and an eiderdown.
Thank God for central heating and duvets!
We no longer see dirty smelly children who nobody wants to sit next to, poor little souls.

thatbags Wed 26-Aug-15 20:28:14

I have two overhead clothes airers with wooden slats that I use all the time. None of my whites have ever been marked by them in nine and fifteen years' use respectively.

I love them. Things dry overnight on them right through the winter when I can't hang stuff outside. Hardly ever use a tumble-dryer.

thatbags Wed 26-Aug-15 20:30:26

Dogs roaming free with no person attached. Never did like that.

Judthepud2 Wed 26-Aug-15 20:30:30

Oh yes Luckygirl! Sanitary towels were HUGE. And the paper bags to put them in at school! My school skirt pockets used to bulge with STs every month. Why did I never notice them in the other girls' pockets?

And in my case they leaked. shock

And (dare I say it) they smelt! shock shock

Tampax changed my life!

Stansgran Wed 26-Aug-15 20:40:17

Oh goodness all of those. And periods being a total surprise. (My DGD is so excited to think she's going to have a period one day)Paraffin heaters. Stone hot water bottles. Home perms .izal toilet paper.

Maggiemaybe Wed 26-Aug-15 20:47:15

Frost on the inside of windows, that purple stuff (was it iodine?) they painted onto boys' shaven ringwormy heads, built up shoes to "cure" flat feet, horrible snotty cloth hankies (apart from the ones my husband still tries to get away with when he thinks my back's turned), pipes in liver, cut up newspaper squares in the outside toilet, tar on the beach, sea coal on the fire and dodging the red-hot bits of shell shooting past your face like bullets, shabby knees...

Maggiemaybe Wed 26-Aug-15 20:48:46

Scabby, not shabby! grin Ruddy auto correct.

rosesarered Wed 26-Aug-15 21:13:32

Loved those memories, Maggie, I second them!

rosesarered Wed 26-Aug-15 21:16:25

And will add...going to school and sitting upstairs on the bus with clouds of cigarette smoke billowing around me, because there was no room down in the non smoking bit.Sitting in cinemas as a child also enveloped in the deadly fog as almost every adult ' lit up' the minute the film started.

merlotgran Wed 26-Aug-15 21:16:40

Having to darn socks. hmm