Gransnet forums

Chat

plagued by Dead Ants!

(25 Posts)
Cherrytree59 Thu 27-Aug-15 11:31:03

Every morning since saturday I have come down to a mass of dead ants on my draining board. At first (with no specs on) thought they were large black seeds but on closer inspection could make out curled up legs ugh! I've not used any ant powder. + neither has my 5 neighbouring houses in my small cul de sac So how far do these "beasties" travel before they literally curl up + die on my draining board? Not spotted them anywhere else.

Luckygirl Thu 27-Aug-15 11:33:58

At least they are dead - you must tell me how it's done!

Alea Thu 27-Aug-15 11:49:36

Remember the Pink Panther theme tune?
'Dead ant, dead ant, dead ant dead ant dead ant dead ant, dead aaaaaant diddley dum" grin

BlackeyedSusan Thu 27-Aug-15 12:12:15

<nods wisely>

definitely the pink panther

Have you checked the cupboard under the stairs recently?

Elegran Thu 27-Aug-15 12:17:04

Are they coming up the plug'ole or the overflow, from the garden? In at a window over the sink?

Do they have wings? If so, is this the season for them to fly and mate then die?

Alea Thu 27-Aug-15 12:42:44

youtu.be/HhHwnrlZRus

If anybody has forgotten it
"dead ant, dead ant. . . . . . "

Nandalot Thu 27-Aug-15 13:04:23

Perhaps the cleaner you use on draining board and down plug hole sees them off?

I think our house is built on a massive ants nest. We are frequently spraying the skirting boards when they decide to have a mass migration. One day I fear the house will implode.
And wood lice too. We usually see one or two at night across the carpet. One night it was so romantic. Two woodlice set off from opposite ends of the carpet and waddled towards each other. Just like in the films. They then passed within an inch of each other with no recognition of each other's presence.

Cherrytree59 Thu 27-Aug-15 13:21:50

I'm still baffled. But I'm ashamed of myself just heard on the radio about all those poor soles in a freezer lorry in Austria + I'm worried about a few dead ants!

rosesarered Thu 27-Aug-15 18:01:35

Do you have a cat cherrytree? it may be patting at them lovingly during the night.

rosesarered Thu 27-Aug-15 18:01:54

My cat did that with spiders.

Ana Thu 27-Aug-15 18:05:51

I'd be a bit concerned too, Cherrytree. There must be a nest in your kitchen somewhere - but it's strange they're all dying neatly on your draining board!

Is there any sign of sawdust or tiny holes in the woodwork? Have the ants got wings, or not?

Cherrytree59 Thu 27-Aug-15 20:48:46

Thank-you for your thoughts. I think there must be a nest somewhere close by. But not sure if they travel a distance to come in contact with ant powder. All other insects seem to be ok in garden. It is possible that they are coming up plug hole I know spiders do this. But it seems along journey up from drain to die like lemmings on my draining board. They are only there in morning that may be, because not using sink then. Kitchen window is double glazed (as is back door) the window ledge + back of sink is tiled so no sawdust. DH is going to dismantle sink cupboard on saturday if they are still there it will be one week of dead ants, but I guess there will be hundreds of ants to a nest!. I have designated my kitchen as a crumb free zone.

Ana Thu 27-Aug-15 21:03:17

It's a mystery! Try blocking the plughole tonight and see if it makes any difference.

Cherrytree59 Thu 27-Aug-15 22:32:23

Will do Ana. I've also put jeyes fluid down the plug hole!

rosesarered Thu 27-Aug-15 22:39:17

May we all come round and do a sort of Ghost watch ( only an ant watch)
Overnight? We will bring cakes( for you and us, not the ants,)cupcake

Cherrytree59 Thu 27-Aug-15 23:12:06

Yes please! But no crumbsgrin

rosesarered Thu 27-Aug-15 23:15:10

grin right you are then!

thatbags Fri 28-Aug-15 06:53:32

First chortle of the day on reading alea's Dead ant Dead ant post grin

Cherrytree59 Fri 28-Aug-15 10:54:16

I have report only 3 dead ants this morning! Ana I think that blocking sink was good idea and the jeyes fluid helped. Or maybe rosesarered that the GNers ghost watch along with Aleas 'Dead Ant' chant scared them off! What ever it was I must not be too complacent as there was three dead ants. So same again please tonight wink

rosesarered Fri 28-Aug-15 12:31:30

I think the plug was the real hero!grin

Ana Fri 28-Aug-15 12:34:47

Those three ants must have been super-skinny! No wonder they died after struggling to squeeze past the plug grin

Cherrytree59 Sat 29-Aug-15 10:59:30

'Dead Ant' free draining board! Thankyou one and all for wit and wisdom flowers wine

rosesarered Sat 29-Aug-15 14:58:58

Hooray, ants gone........ But where have they gone!

Cherrytree59 Sun 30-Aug-15 18:41:42

hopefully to the great ant hill in the sky grin

BlackeyedSusan Wed 02-Sep-15 22:30:06

it is always a worry... at least on the draining board you knew where they were... now you don't...

this sentiment is because I have missed giving two spiders very bad headaches and they ran/hobbles off and now I do not know where they are

<looks around in fear>