Gransnet forums

Chat

My new DGD...

(35 Posts)
vampirequeen Fri 28-Aug-15 08:04:21

...has finally arrived. Unlike her cousin who came on the bathroom floor a couple of weeks ago, this little madam really fought to stay put. My poor DD was huge and her blood pressure was rising fast but the hospital insisted on her waiting until she was 14 days overdue. When they finally decided to help her things went from bad to worse. She endured 36 hours of agony before they finally got an epidural in at the third attempt. Then after another 5 hours they were both so exhausted the baby got stuck and they had to take DD to theatre so they could use forceps. My DD's insides are a mess and it took them ages to sort her out. The baby was 9lb 10oz.

I blame the hospital for this. IMO....and I know this is a mum's not a doctors opinion...they should have done a section when it become obvious DD was struggling. I appreciate there is a certain amount of pain when giving birth (been there, got the t shirt) but this was OTT. They kept telling her how short staffed they were and that they didn't have beds in the labour ward or staff for theatre. I think this lack of staff was the reason they didn't take her to theatre until they had no choice.

The upside is that DD and baby are safe. Baby is really bad tempered though. All she does is scowl grin. Obviously she's livid at being forced to come out grin

Jane10 Fri 28-Aug-15 08:11:45

Good news and bad vamp- wonderful that the little girl is here but your poor DD. I'm sure she'll need to recover from that awful delivery both physically and mentally. Meanwhile congratulations!

Nandalot Fri 28-Aug-15 08:12:39

So pleased that Mum and baby are both well now but what a dreadful experience for them both. I do hope that you will all be able to recover from it soon and enjoy what should be such a precious time.flowers

hildajenniJ Fri 28-Aug-15 08:22:27

Congratulations vamp. Give your DD a hug from me. She has my sympathy, I was almost in the same condition with DS. He got stuck and had to be pulled out. They dislocated his shoulder in the process, and he was navy blue!! He needed several minutes of oxygen to come round. All was well though, he's 30 now. Hope that lovely little GD forgets the trauma soon, and grows up to have a sunny disposition.
flowersbrew to you all.

Lona Fri 28-Aug-15 08:22:28

Congratulations vampire flowers I hope mum and baby both feel better soon! Poor things. It's dreadful that lack of staff should be the cause of such a difficult birth.

Maggiemaybe Fri 28-Aug-15 08:28:38

What a traumatic experience for your poor DD and the little one. flowers for all of you and welcome to the world, baby girl. It won't always be as bad as this!

glassortwo Fri 28-Aug-15 08:36:27

Congratulations vampire glad they are both safe and well. Your DD will need to recover from that dreadful delivery. flowers wine

shysal Fri 28-Aug-15 08:46:51

flowers, Vampire and DD. Does DGD have a name yet?

Katek Fri 28-Aug-15 08:50:41

Congratulations on your new dgd! Hope your daughter recovers quickly from what sounds like a dreadful delivery. My dd had similar experience as dgs was presenting shoulder first. She haemorrhaged and thought she was dying. Glad all has ended well and lucky you, two new little ones to love.

Indinana Fri 28-Aug-15 09:18:34

Poor girl, what an awful, traumatic experience for her. So pleased my DD went for an elective C-section, as she was told afterwards by the surgeon that a vaginal delivery would have been very difficult given the baby's position and she would almost certainly have ended up in theatre for a section anyway. And after how many long and painful hours?

And I'm so pleased your DD and DGD came through all the trauma safely! Big congratulations to all of you and lots of good wishes for your DD's speedy recovery. flowers for you and flowers for your DD xx

Luckygirl Fri 28-Aug-15 09:26:34

How lovely it is to hear of new Gnet babies - many congratulations to all! flowers

I am sorry to hear how traumatic it was for her - but it is behind her now and you can all heave a sigh of relief.

A similar thing happened with my DD and her first. When she was already overdue I had received a call from her to say that the midwife had been round and taken her BP, and had said that the machine must be faulty as it could not be that high! Needless to say it was that high. When I eventually saw her in labour several days later, I could have wept. She was like a balloon - her limbs, feet, hands, face, neck all swollen beyond recognition - and she was coated in a rash on every available space of her. She had a long painful labour that eventually ended in a CS - the baby was back to back. Action should have been taken sooner - there is no doubt of that.

So I know just how you feel vq and the only thing to do is to rejoice that all is now well and enjoy your lovely new GD.

annodomini Fri 28-Aug-15 09:41:09

Poor mum and baby. I hope they are both feeling better now. I can sympathise - a very intense labour necessitated a forceps delivery of DS1. I was exhausted and so was he. 44 years later, I know he was worth every moment of that labour. Enjoy your new GD, VQ

ninathenana Fri 28-Aug-15 09:54:27

Congratulations to you all VQ your poor DD. glad the traumatic experience had a safe outcome flowers

Margsus Fri 28-Aug-15 10:13:16

Congratulations VQ! Sorry to hear about the tough time your DD went through, hope she makes a quick recovery. My DiL is expecting her 2nd baby in November, you've got me worried now.... X

Galen Fri 28-Aug-15 10:19:00

flowers

Teetime Fri 28-Aug-15 10:24:48

Many congratulations on the new baby and I do hope your DD is resting comfortably now. My DD had a similar experience in Addenbrookes but all turned out well in the end - didn't have any more babies though. grin

posie Fri 28-Aug-15 10:44:35

Congratulations on your new DGD VQ wine

janeainsworth Fri 28-Aug-15 11:15:17

Congratulations to you and your DD, vq flowers

whenim64 Fri 28-Aug-15 11:28:59

Congratulations vq flowers Thank goodness they are both ok. Enjoy your first cuddles.

annsixty Fri 28-Aug-15 12:03:24

Congratulations to all. Try and put it behind you and really enjoy the new member of the family.flowers

Nelliemoser Fri 28-Aug-15 12:36:51

VG Congratulations!I hope your daughter gets over the stress of the delivery and the "grumpy baby" gets more cheerful. She probably will when she unfolds from that squashed baby look.

FarNorth Fri 28-Aug-15 14:03:40

So sorry to hear of that bad experience, vq. It sounds like the staff were under dreadful pressure and not able to deal with things as they would have wanted. Very worrying for everyone.
Congratulations to all, though, on the arrival of your strapping and grumpy DGD smile flowers

downtoearth Fri 28-Aug-15 14:24:19

congratulations VQ to you and your family,sorry to hear your poor girl had such a rough time ...wine..to wet the baby's head x

loopylou Fri 28-Aug-15 16:20:21

Congratulations vampirequeen to you and your family flowers
I'm not surprised that the little one is scowling-she's probably got on hell of a headache!
Poor lass, and baby, hope both are doing well now x

MiniMouse Fri 28-Aug-15 17:12:27

Lovely news, congratulations to all smile Sorry it was such an unnecessarily traumatic and painful arrival, but pleased to hear the baby arrived safely - if grumpily! flowers