Gransnet forums

Chat

September Dryathlon

(1000 Posts)
jogginggirl Tue 01-Sep-15 08:34:36

Day One of my personal challenge, no alcohol for September - anyone care to join me ...? brew

Anne58 Tue 01-Sep-15 08:51:21

What would I do with the half full/empty bottle of Cava that's in the fridge? blush

Good luck though, it is a very good thing to do from time to time.

Teetime Tue 01-Sep-15 08:56:06

Yes good luck with it I'll certainly try to cut down and I'm trying Jamie Oliver's new healthy recipes and more exercise but that's it.

Bellasnana Tue 01-Sep-15 09:03:48

I've just completed the month of August without any alcohol, so am very much looking forward to a nice, large glass of white wine this evening grin

Good luck, though, jogginggirl brew

suzied Tue 01-Sep-15 09:17:09

I did dry January and it was ok. Thinking of doing 100 dry days till Christmas, not sure when that starts though, so might miss it!

Lona Tue 01-Sep-15 09:34:28

As a bottle of red wine can last me about 3/4 weeks, I don't think I'll bother. I really should give up biscuits instead, but I'm NOT.

Anya Tue 01-Sep-15 10:01:40

jogginggirl I'll join you.

Anya Tue 01-Sep-15 10:04:43

I think you have 114 days suzied

KatyK Tue 01-Sep-15 10:09:56

Not me but good luck! I've cut down a lot so am rather pleased with myself but that's my lot.

janeainsworth Tue 01-Sep-15 10:32:04

No thanks grin
It's my birthday later this month and I have no intention of depriving myself of one of life's pleasures. wine
I have a healthy diet and take reasonable exercise so I think that moderate amounts of alcohol don't do me much harm.
The only reason I would cut back would be to save money and things aren't quite that desperate yet.

jogginggirl Tue 01-Sep-15 11:02:29

smile Thanks for support - ha ha janeainsworth - I don't blame you, it's my birthday next month, so you see there is method in my madness! Yes, Anya it would be good to have some company especially around 6-7 p.m. when I think I 'deserve' a nice of glass of wine and I am faced with a glass of cranberry (still, it's the right colour)lol! I have decided to set myself a different challenge each month - any longer and I find it difficult to sustain - so any suggestions for October - I have half a thought that I will try to run every day ... grin

janeainsworth Tue 01-Sep-15 11:12:15

Good luck jogginggirl.
6-7pm is my weak time too and I have found that drinking a glass of water before embarking on the alcohol a good way to reduce overall consumption.
Personally I would stay away from the cranberry juice as it's full of sugar which IMHO is more harmful to health than alcohol shock
I have taken to putting a few slices of orange, lemon and lime into a jug of water and letting it steep for a while in the fridge. It's surprising how much flavour the water acquires and it's really refreshing and makes a change from plain water.

Anya Tue 01-Sep-15 11:36:07

That's a good idea Jane I think I'll try that.

Yes jg I find if I can get over that 5-7pm (I like to start earlier than you) then it's not a problem.

jogginggirl Tue 01-Sep-15 12:36:13

You are quite right jane - I should have said that I allow myself one glass of cranberry a day - and that is usually watered down but I'm definitely going to take up your suggestion of oranges/lemons with water - it sounds very refreshing and I'm sure I won't notice that it's not wine wink wink I should add that I have done two days already - needed to get into practice...lol x I may have been a little economic with the true 'start' time come to think of it Anya wink

Anya Tue 01-Sep-15 13:26:57

OK - jug with water, orange and lemon slices floating, but the line has sunk to the bottom confused

Anya Tue 01-Sep-15 13:30:19

LIME

ninathenana Tue 01-Sep-15 13:39:03

I had a couple of glasses of white with dinner last night. I can't remember when I last had alcohol prior to that probably a couple of months. So I don't think I need to join in smile

Greyduster Tue 01-Sep-15 13:52:30

I would but DH's two sisters are descending on me in a couple of weeks time and I have a feeling I might need to stiffen the sinews a few times while they are here!! Good luck with it though!

jogginggirl Tue 01-Sep-15 14:30:52

You're excused Greyduster xx

ginny Tue 01-Sep-15 16:33:52

I'll join you. Actually I'm TT but it may help you to know that there is someone else with an empty glass. grin

Anya Tue 01-Sep-15 16:41:33

jg the hour approacheth! I've had a glass of my LOL (lime, orange and lemon) juice and decided it's better as LOOL (lime, orange x2 and lemon) juice.

Good luck!

We might be turning this thread into a blog hmm

Nelliemoser Tue 01-Sep-15 16:41:42

I drink so little alcohol I would hardly notice.

Anya Tue 01-Sep-15 16:43:22

GNHQ can we PLEASE have a glass of water emoticon?

Anya Tue 01-Sep-15 16:45:20

\_/

rosesarered Tue 01-Sep-15 16:51:58

Who's a clever cloggs?grin

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion