Gransnet forums

Chat

There is a heatwave arriving in the next few days................ ...

(58 Posts)
kittylester Sat 05-Sep-15 11:39:37

because we have turned on the central heating and I have put my (mostly unworn) summer clothes in the wardrobe in the spare room.

So remember - it's me you will have to thank when you are basking in beautiful warm sunshine next week! grin

loopylou Sat 05-Sep-15 11:49:32

I'll be extremely grateful as will be on holiday grin

Thank you kitty, but I might just take a brolly too, and wellies...

Luckygirl Sat 05-Sep-15 11:51:44

Not yet, please not yet! Still wearing summer clothes with a jumper pver and our CH has not been on!

Alea Sat 05-Sep-15 12:24:21

Just as one swallow does not make a Summer, one weekend with the heating/electric blanket/thermal vest/socks/scarf/ cardi/ fleece/ jusmper on, does not make an Autumn!(does it?)

tanith Sat 05-Sep-15 12:56:26

I'm living in hope we'll get an 'Indian Summer' my shorts and t-shirts are waiting to come out again had to wear jeans and long sleeve t's this week..

Its going to be a long old Winter if we don't get a blast of warmth in the next month or two..

Charleygirl Sat 05-Sep-15 13:13:01

I have a feeling that my central heating may be switched on this evening for the first time for months. My hot water bottle goes to bed with me now and the cat loves it.

It is 13C in London and dull- certainly not warm. Friends of mine in Scotland had 2 cups of coffee in the garden today.

loopylou Sat 05-Sep-15 14:58:02

Well kitty I've succumbed too, summer clothes put away, 9 Tog duvet on the bed, 11C outside and I'm feeling cold.

Granny23 Sat 05-Sep-15 15:24:33

I've been working in the garden today (central Scotland) filling the new tubs I got for my Birthday Yesterday. Had to retire indoors as far too hot in the sun. As usual, once the kids are back to school we are blessed with a mini heatwave.

Teetime Sat 05-Sep-15 15:27:25

Hollow laughter from Melton Mowbray....grin

rosequartz Sat 05-Sep-15 16:01:13

kittylester I have awarded you the BBC contract for weather forecasting
Your method seems at least as accurate as the Met Office computer. wink

I hope it warms up, I don't want to start wearing winter socks just yet but I may have to.

kittylester Sat 05-Sep-15 16:22:52

And from Loughborough! Teetime

rosesarered Sat 05-Sep-15 16:37:33

the first 'woolly' was worn the other day, also socks! No heating goes on here until October though. Hoping for that Indian Summer mentioned by others, as going on hols to North Yorks coast soon.

Lona Sat 05-Sep-15 16:44:36

I've graduated to another layer (silk camisole) but still bare feet in my loafers! The central heating is on very very low.
I'm not putting anything away yet though.

Greyduster Sat 05-Sep-15 17:51:28

It is indeed set to warm up next week when the winds will be coming from the South and not the North! I could have done with a bit of it on Thursday while standing on the banks of an enormous reservoir with the wind whipping the water into a froth and me wearing a shirt, a fleece, a hoodie and DH's body warmer - oh, and a balaclava under my hat (fashion statement grin). The man at the fishery office said "it's quite calm up there today, you should be okay." Fish one, me nil! DH in lovely warm car reading his book and drinking hot coffee.

apricot Sat 05-Sep-15 20:53:42

I'm wearing my dressing gown over my clothes and covered with a blanket.
Last night I took a hot water bottle to bed.
I never used to feel the cold, now I dread the 7 months of cold ahead. I find this the absolutely worst thing about getting old.
So thanks for the promise of a heat wave. Could it please last till Christmas?

jackiekiel Sun 06-Sep-15 09:36:10

It's not so much the cold that gets me down, it's the sullen grey skies. Where have the crisp blue-sky frosty days gone (at least from the south of England). They were uplifting and invigorating.

Ariadne Sun 06-Sep-15 09:43:23

It's a beautiful day down here in Devon, and warming up nicely. It does lift the spirits!

Ariadne Sun 06-Sep-15 09:44:11

But I do have a cardigan on permanent standby, and have had the heating on....

dorsetpennt Sun 06-Sep-15 10:13:54

I'm digging out my winter clothes, but wearing sweaters and summer trousers. I've been tempted to put the heat on but reluctant to because of the cost.

reenee Sun 06-Sep-15 11:38:33

Sounds a bit outdated I know, but couldn't care less, wearing a vest and socks makes such a difference when the weather gets chilly.

tigger Sun 06-Sep-15 12:23:34

Gosh central heating on in September. Richard Jackson has declared we are going to have an Indian summer!

westieyaya Sun 06-Sep-15 14:11:21

Just put all my summer clothes away, 'cos I'm too lazy to iron them!

Anya Sun 06-Sep-15 14:46:26

I'm off to the Channel Isles on Friday. That would be lovely sunshine

Coolgran65 Sun 06-Sep-15 15:45:07

Here in N. Ireland just getting a little cool for bare feet, so rather than go right into socks I'm wearing..... the dreaded pop sock.... to eke out the summery slip on pumps for a week or two.

Pretty vests are ready and waiting. I used to use a T-shirt as a vest, but real vests are so much more lightweight.
Beat the chills with a vest, top, and scarf. Scarf is usually a reasonable size and can work like a wrap if necessary. Just love my wraps.
Shoes will change to heavier shoes/boots with socks, and indoors it will be my sheepskin (faux) slipper boots.

Anne58 Sun 06-Sep-15 16:24:54

Still pretty much living in my Birkenstocks. Well, after spending money, time and effort on nail varnish for my toes............grin