Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Welcome to new members

(943 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 16-Sep-15 14:24:57

If you're new to Gransnet please do make yourself a brew and come introduce yourself on this thread. Hope you enjoy chatting in the forums and that you find it useful, informative, supportive and entertaining. smile

Heirofthedog Wed 16-Sep-15 14:33:18

I joined today! But I already had a good welcome on another thread so not asking for more hellos. Looks like an interesting site - am soon to be a grandmother for the first time so am hoping for pearls of wisdom on how NOT to offend my daughter in law! Also tips on how to be the best granny/grandma (think the other grandmother gets first dibs on the name? What's the etiquette?)

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 16-Sep-15 14:41:44

If that is a real question, thrown open to posters, umm... you don't have 'etiquette' in things like that. It usually just falls into place.

ninathenana Wed 16-Sep-15 14:43:02

Welcome Heirofthedog I will hive you only one pearl of wisdom re offending DiL.
Don't give advice unless it's asked for smile I don't think either grandparent has first dibs it's what your happy with and what when they are old enough DGC decide. I chose to be called nana but my DGC call both of us nannie now.

kittylester Wed 16-Sep-15 14:54:15

We were going to be Grandma and Grandp but we are Ma and Pa now and love it!

hildajenniJ Wed 16-Sep-15 15:00:08

My DD decided who should have what name! There were three of us at the time as my SiL had a step mum. I am Granny, and the others were both Grandma plus their first names. Unfortunately my SiL's stepmother died of cancer when my GD was five. Most of the Grans I know began as Grandma, but several of them are now Nan, Nanny, Nana. I only know one other Granny, and she is in Scotland.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 16-Sep-15 15:05:21

Oi! I'm a granny! I'm not in Scotland.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 16-Sep-15 15:06:33

Is this thread going quite the way Lara meant it to? shock

Indinana Wed 16-Sep-15 15:07:42

It doesn't really matter if both GMs want the same title - just add something on to it. So Nana Jane and Nana Sarah. Or Granny Reading and Granny Woking. I knew someone whose GC called her Nana Asda because that's where she worked!

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 16-Sep-15 15:09:45

grin Love it!

Luckygirl Wed 16-Sep-15 15:12:19

We are Mama and Papa to one lot and Grandma and Grandpa to all the others. The Mama and Papa names arose from the mispronunciation of Grandma and Grandpa, and they just stuck.

Teetime Wed 16-Sep-15 15:16:30

Hello to newbies and welcome.smile I am Nanna as my mother was and her mother before her and as I didn't want to be Granny and certainly not Grandmother (I can only say that in a Lady Bracknell voice). DH likes to be known by his forename only and has never wanted to be Uncle or Grandpa although lovely GS does call him Grandpa P.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 16-Sep-15 15:19:25

I would love to be 'Grandmother'!

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 16-Sep-15 15:20:07

Might get a bit of respect then. hmmgrin

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 16-Sep-15 15:51:13

We don't mind grin. As long as it's still a welcome place for newbies to say hi and make their first post.

soontobe Wed 16-Sep-15 16:02:46

Can I ask a question that puzzles me please?

On some threads, I will see a name I dont recognise, and often there are then a whole lot more names that I dont recognise too.

Is it because some link or word or connection or something has gone out via twitter or Facebook or email or something?

MiniMouse Wed 16-Sep-15 16:43:12

I've wondered about that, too, soon!

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 16-Sep-15 16:47:58

Gransnet has a Twitter account. And Facebook. Some posts and threads get tweeted by whoever is in charge of that at HQ.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 16-Sep-15 16:48:45

Click on the links next to 'Inbox' at the top.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 16-Sep-15 16:51:26

It's like parallel Gransnets!

Ana Wed 16-Sep-15 17:02:31

And occasionally we get an invasion of outraged Mumsnetters who've taken exception to one of our threads!

rosequartz Wed 16-Sep-15 17:19:29

Hello and welcome Heirofthedog

Also tips on how to be the best granny/grandma (think the other grandmother gets first dibs on the name? What's the etiquette?)

I don't know if there is etiquette as such.
It seems to have been decided for me.

soontobe Wed 16-Sep-15 17:19:59

Ooh er. It is like parallel gransnets.
I thought I had pressed on those buttons before. I probably didnt look hard enough when I had.

merlotgran Wed 16-Sep-15 17:23:00

I'm a granny and now our eldest DGC is 19 I'm beginning to wonder what I'll be called when I'm a great-grandmother (not yet, I sincerely hope)

My mother was great-grandma which was soon shortened to GG - a cheeky nick-name and definitely a one off. She loved it!

I think great-gran (great-granny is a bit Downton Abbey) will be OK unless they can come up with something stylish and original befitting my elevated status in the family grin

Anne58 Wed 16-Sep-15 17:29:42

merlot as long as it isn't "she who must be -humoured- obeyed!" grin