Gransnet forums

Chat

Hmm

(27 Posts)
sunseeker Fri 09-Oct-15 09:54:13

Chatting with a friend over coffee yesterday I mentioned that I wanted to move some pictures around but was reluctant to do so because DH had chosen where to put them. DH was the most unsentimental person and I said if he could come back he would tell me not to be silly and do what I wanted.

Just after I went to bed last night I heard a terrific crash, at first I thought the garage was being broken into (we have had some burglaries locally) but on investigating I found one of the pictures had fallen off the wall.

On closer inspection this morning, the picture hook is undamaged and the picture wire is unbroken - so what caused the picture to fall?

Elegran Fri 09-Oct-15 09:57:24

Could have been all kinds of things - but if I were you I would take the hint and move your pictures to where you want them! If DH is still keeping an eye on you , it is you he is looking at, not a load of unimportant objects like pictures, even if he chose the small detail of where they would hang.

gillybob Fri 09-Oct-15 10:15:03

That is so weird sunseeker the night my grandma died I heard an awful crash downstairs. I ran down to find that photographs and a huge ornate key that I have had in the same place for months had fallen from a high shelf on to a tiled floor. They should have broken to pieces but I picked them up expecting to see glass scattered around but they were fine. I put them all back in different places . I don't believe in that sort of thing really but I can't help but wonder.

I agree with Elegran you should re-arrange the pictures to where you would like them. smile

POGS Fri 09-Oct-15 11:19:00

Maybe your dear husband is giving you the go ahead Sun seeker.

Just because you move the pictures they are still pictures you no doubt chose with your DH and both sat and looked at together. That is the point to cherish, not where they sit on the wall. smile

On a flippant note can you have a conversation with your friend and say I know a lady called POGS who won a million pounds grin.

shysal Fri 09-Oct-15 12:13:21

And me!grin

Anya Fri 09-Oct-15 12:29:13

I think we need our Hallowe'en emoticon now

sunseeker Fri 09-Oct-15 12:31:44

You are all right of course and I will rearrange the pictures after nephew has redecorated for me!

POGS When DH knew he was terminal he said he would come back and let me know the winning lottery numbers - once he has done that I will put in a word for you grin

POGS Fri 09-Oct-15 12:42:24

Sunseeker

Good woman, thank you .

I'm even more convinced now make it a million and a yacht. grin

Enjoy your day I am sure you are thinking fondly of your hubby. flowers

coles Sat 10-Oct-15 08:53:46

I have had similar experiences over the years, it is obvious to me, that DH is showing you he is around from time to time and still wants to share special moments with you. They, will find anyway they can to demonstrate, that there is no death of the spirit. I have had items disappear and then reappear in the most unlikely places, with gaps of over a year. Many other experiences too, but will leave them until another time. Blessings to all, Margaret.

shysal Sat 10-Oct-15 08:57:56

DD1's FIL died some years ago. His favourite tune was the Butterfly Waltz, to which he and his wife would dance. During the funeral service (it was winter) a butterfly fluttered down onto the coffin. It was a touching moment.

Worlass Sat 10-Oct-15 09:47:39

I lived in Spain for a few years and November 2nd is celebrated as Day of the Dead. For the first two years after my DLH died, I woke up on the morning of November 3rd to find the bedside lamp switched on, although I am certain I switched it off before going to sleep. A couple of years after his death, on New Years Day, my daughter discovered a single red poppy growing in the front garden, despite the fact that we had never planted poppies or anything akin to them, and it was in the middle of a prolonged snowy spell. She picked it and put it in between the pages of a book to dry it out. My gardening skills are minimal- guaranteed to see off the healthiest of plants, so don't know if there's a mundane explanation for what happened.

2old4hotpants Sat 10-Oct-15 09:53:57

Some years ago I met a lovely widower (I was also widowed). When we began our relationship some very strange things happened over the first few weeks. On each occasion we were together, in either house, and ‘canoodling’. I clearly recall the crash in his loft above our heads the first time we ‘went upstairs’. A suitcase which had been up there untouched for years had been thrown over. On another occasion all his lights went out, which had never happened before or since.
The incidents were not confined to his house. There were random crashes in my house too. One time we were cuddling in the lounge with the lights out, when a table lamp turned itself on. The lamp was not faulty – I tried many times to replicate the experience, by pressing the on switch very lightly etc, but never could.
After a few weeks all went quiet. We continued our relationship, and are still together, though not living together. We have both moved to new homes. I have a strong conviction that the events were caused by my very jealous DH, but that he has now accepted he cannot part us, and has moved on.

Grannieanne Sat 10-Oct-15 10:23:47

When my Father was terminally ill, in a home a few miles from where my Mother lived, I was given permission from work to take days off to take her to see him whenever I needed. I took her over one day intending to go again the following week, but I woke up the next morning KNOWING that I had to take her again that day, so I did, and while I was there the Matron . asked me for my details as next of kin. That night I had a 'phone call at about 3am saying we needed to get over there if we wanted to see him. I called my Mum and picked her up, and we got there a few minutes before he died. If she'd had the call she would never in a million years have 'phoned me as I had 2 young children at the time and she would't have wanted to disturb us. She always said that an angel had told me to go that day, and it seems I did have some sort of message that I can't explain in any other way!

rosesarered Sat 10-Oct-15 10:30:38

We know nothing about the afterlife, so guess anything is possible.
you arrange your pictures as you want them Sunseeker.smile

Luckygirl Sat 10-Oct-15 11:07:12

I wouldn't read anything into it - moving them around will just have jiggled the hooks/nails a bit.

Ana Sat 10-Oct-15 11:09:36

sunseeker hadn't moved the pictures around...

harrigran Sat 10-Oct-15 11:25:38

We have a relative whose son died a few years ago and ever since his bedroom bedside lamp turns itself on. Candles in the lounge light themselves too, they are battery operated. His mother and father are not religious and do not believe in the afterlife but this is baffling them.

durhamjen Sat 10-Oct-15 11:34:03

My husband always used to tell me not to waste money on the lottery, so he would never tell me the winning numbers.

Ana Sat 10-Oct-15 11:40:13

Even if there is an afterlife, why would the dead necessarily be able to see into the future?

inishowen Sat 10-Oct-15 12:20:31

We had a friend who was an artist. He died at just 42. His wife gave us one of his paintings to remember him by. One evening it crashed to the ground. There was no reason why this had happened, but it felt spooky!

Jaxie Sat 10-Oct-15 12:37:55

I met an academic fairly recently who was researching into electrical impulses in the human body and mind and how they connect even to infinity. (I haven't explained that well, but I'm not a scientist). After our conversation I was convinced that many unusual occurrences we put down to coincidence, or intuition are actually the result of connections between the thought processes of different people's minds. IF, there is survival of the individual after death, then why could there not be electrical activity causing all kinds of happenings? It is very comforting to think that those who have cared for us, but have passed away, are looking out for us. My wonderful and very spiritual Brazilian friend says that we have to actually ask them for help, they intervene when we request their assistance. I have definitely had results from doing this, and I'm not a nutter!

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 10-Oct-15 12:42:53

I'll get my gran to do my ironing.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 10-Oct-15 12:43:24

No I won't! That would be scary!

lucycakeface Sat 10-Oct-15 14:27:08

On recently returning from a short break we arrived home to find that our lounge had flooded. We had many pictures on the wall but the one of our Faithfull dog Max (now in heaven) had fallen off the wall and was laying on the chair. As previously mentioned the fixtures were all intact. The night before we came home I was awoken by a heavy sounding drip drip in our caravan, but there was no water anywhere . Hubby and I are convinced that it was our dear old Max trying to tell us about the flood.

I am sure that this ladies DH was telling her to move the pictures where she so wished. How lovely is that!

brunswick Thu 15-Oct-15 15:12:21

A few years ago I was sitting chatting to a friend about my father who was deceased. There was a photo on the wall of him as a little boy in a page boy outfit. I wasnt brought up with him but did get to know him in later life. I was saying "how can you love someone you dont really know" - as I was brought up with my grandfather and saw him as my father. At that very moment my father's photo crashed to the ground. It was 2am in the morning there were no vibrational sounds or traffic or anything to disturb it. Another time - it was mothers day - the photo I have of my mother on a shelf near my computer - she died aged 42 in 1963 - fell over. I hadnt touched it or anything near it!!! Nothing like this had happened before or since.