Gransnet forums

Chat

I know I should be grateful but....

(29 Posts)
kittylester Fri 09-Oct-15 10:30:35

A lovely 'old' friend came for supper last night and we had a lovely time mostly catching up with gossip. When she arrived she gave me flowers, as she usually does, but they were sunflowers and those cabbage head thingies. I'm not keen on either of them but, for the life of me, I can't make them look good either. I wish she brought 'ordinary' flowers. flowers

Anne58 Fri 09-Oct-15 10:44:08

Take them to the care home? They might love them!

LullyDully Fri 09-Oct-15 11:44:35

Sunflower s look lovely In a vase and keep going for ages as you throw away the dead ones. Cabbage things do tend to smell after a while.

KatyK Fri 09-Oct-15 19:41:00

I don't like those cabbage things either and I love sunflowers but am not sure I would like them in the house. I love receiving flowers but I have a dislike of lilies. Apart from the smell which I can't stand, the ones with that orangey stamen that gets on clothes and furniture is annoying. My favourite flowers are astroemeria. When they are in full bloom they are beautiful.

rosequartz Fri 09-Oct-15 19:46:16

You could dry the sunflower heads and put them out for the birds ...

I bought some sunflowers for someone when we went to visit recently. Ooh, hope she like them. hmm

rosequartz Fri 09-Oct-15 19:46:47

liked!

Also bought chocolates and wine, so I am sure they went down well!

Coolgran65 Fri 09-Oct-15 19:53:00

I love sunflowers in the house, so cheery.
Always cut the stamens off the lilies as soon as they appear.

cyberjack Fri 09-Oct-15 20:24:10

I think a good rule of thumb is always to accept presents and gifts with grace really.
Personally spread the word about how much you like...Fresh flowers...nothing wrong with sunflowers/nice soaps/Neal's Yard stuff & White company for your more affluent friends and Jo Malone for the plain crazy. oooooh lovely.

cyberjack Fri 09-Oct-15 20:25:29

oh and the candles...the candles now it's colder. Even in Boots...the Sanctuary little £6 candles are LOVELY.

janeainsworth Fri 09-Oct-15 20:28:59

Have you got a really tall vase for the sunflowers kitty?
Dad had them at her wedding (against my wishes!) but I had to admit they looked fantastic on the day.
Just put the cabbages on the compost heap grin

janeainsworth Fri 09-Oct-15 20:29:21

Dad!!!! DD

loopylou Fri 09-Oct-15 20:38:53

I don't understand why anyone would want those cabbage stems in a bouquet (or ornamental cabbages in the garden). They stink in a vase and get caterpillars in the garden hmm

Deedaa Fri 09-Oct-15 20:44:20

One of the great joys of summer is having a bunch of sunflowers on the table smile I tend not to buy the cabbages as they always seem to be in big mixed bunches that I can't really afford.

rosesarered Fri 09-Oct-15 20:44:58

The cabbagey things are an abomination!

rosesarered Fri 09-Oct-15 20:45:17

I love sunflowers.

grannylyn65 Fri 09-Oct-15 20:55:06

I love lilies and wish I didn't have to toil !!

grannylyn65 Fri 09-Oct-15 20:56:03

And hate cabbagey things, why would anyone think they are a good idea!!

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 09-Oct-15 21:03:51

I can't understand why they've decided cabbages should be flowers. Plain weird. Nothing attractive about them either.

I think flowers should be seasonal. Michaelmas daisies and chrysanths at the moment. Nice Autumny colours.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 09-Oct-15 21:08:32

In the cottage where we had a short break recently the owner had put just one sprig of Ice Plant in a vase with a little bit of greenery. Looked lovely.

Nelliemoser Fri 09-Oct-15 21:09:36

So what about cauliflower and broccoli they are real are cabbagey things and flowers. Smart arse Nelliem. wink

Greyduster Sat 10-Oct-15 09:50:21

I'm okay with any kind of cut flowers - I get into trouble when people bring me pot plants. I know as soon as they come through the door they are doomed as I'm hopeless at keeping them. A friend who came to stay last week brought me an orchid shock. I have consigned it's care and ongoing welfare to DH, who seems to have "the touch"!

kittylester Sat 10-Oct-15 10:28:14

I am not clever enough to arrange 'stiff' flowers. I do have them (sunflowers and cabbage-y things) in a tall vase but I think they are too austere. I love sunflowers in a field or a garden. And, I love creamed cabbage with bacon, onions and garlic!

I buy flowers for the hall every week and move last weeks, if they are still alive, to the dining room until they die. My favourites are lilies which I cut short and put in one of those goldfish bowl vases. Love it. Otherwise, I like lisianthus [?sp] or alstromeria.

I dislike chrysthanthemums as I remember arranging them on my brother's grave when I was young. Only seasonal flowers available in the dim and distant past! Strangely, I love anemones and I remember arranging them on his grave too! confused

J52 Sun 11-Oct-15 08:22:21

Kitty if I remember you and I share the same birthday, we also share the same love of flowers. I cannot bear the house to be without a vase of flowers.

It must be written in our stars! grin

x

J52 Sun 11-Oct-15 08:25:57

I also don't like Chrysthanthemums in the house, they have a smell that I dislike.

I blame reading D.H Lawrence's short story 'The Odour of Chrysthanthemums' at am impressionable age!

x

kittylester Sun 11-Oct-15 09:45:25

J52 smile. And we both dislike Chrysanthemums!

Cyberjack, I did of course accept the flowers with grace.