Gransnet forums

Chat

How is the best way to fall over?

(110 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Fri 09-Oct-15 17:06:14

1. Like I did today. ie entering a crowded traffic island in town, tripping on the kerb, hanging onto bike which I was pushing at the time, and which developed a life of its own by continuing onwards, whilst I crashed right down on one knee wondering what the hell had thumped into my right side back, (some item of street furniture I presume) and struggling frantically to get up again before anyone noticed (some chance) hmm The only consolation being the very nice elderly gent who grasped me by the elbow and literally heaved! (Blessings and praises be upon him) smile

Or

2. The way DD did it today. Arrived at the school gates, cycled across the pavement to go in, had a wobble, tried to dismount but somehow got her second leg caught on the rather high crossbar of her modern day bike, couldn't shift it and sank unceremoniously to the ground, wearing at the time a rather tight little skirt, and according hilarious amusement to a bunch of sixth formers standing nearby?

hmm

Stansgran Fri 09-Oct-15 17:08:43

Yours had more potential than DD's. Was he good looking? Hope your bruises are more colorful than painful.

merlotgran Fri 09-Oct-15 17:12:45

Ouch! jingl Hope you have some arnica gel in the fridge. smile

I think I'd have given those sixth formers a good slap for laughing.

merlotgran Fri 09-Oct-15 17:13:23

At your DD, I mean.....Not you.

glassortwo Fri 09-Oct-15 17:17:13

ohh jingle bet your aching. Your is certainly more dramatic.

I fell at toddlers two weeks ago and dont you feel a right t*t. Have just managed to get my right arm above shoulder height to dry my hair... look a right state for two weeks.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 09-Oct-15 17:23:32

So far I've been lucky. The pain went away on the rest of the way home. And I could soon breathe again. smile

Anne58 Fri 09-Oct-15 17:25:57

I doubt if it's any consolation jings , but the fact that you were holding on to your bike probably stopped you putting your arm out to try to save yourself, thus risking your wrist.

Hope you & your DD aren't too achey and bruised!

kittylester Fri 09-Oct-15 17:27:39

Neither jings! The best way to fall is to walk on wet carpets, step onto the tiled kitchen floor, feel the leading foot skid and then to fall backwards with one leg underneath one's bum, one arm flailing for the hand rail on the stairs, the ankle not being sat on turning over sideways and the back of one's head hitting the end of the stair rail that (mysteriously) wasn't there to grab!

The only upside to the whole experience was that there was no-one in the house to hear me howling and trying to stand up in a very ungainly and unladylike manner!

That's the best way to do it!! grin

Ana Fri 09-Oct-15 17:30:57

Kitty, I'm struggling to visual that scenario - do your stairs lead directly from the kitchen? confused

Ana Fri 09-Oct-15 17:31:15

'visualise'!

kittylester Fri 09-Oct-15 17:35:26

We have narrow back stairs that come down right outside the kitchen door at 90 degrees to the door. The hand rail, which we put up as DS used the bedroom and sitting room above the kitchen, has a lovely shiny brass nodule on the end. It hurts!

Anne58 Fri 09-Oct-15 17:37:34

kitty, that reminds me of something I posted yonks ago about slipping down the stairs naked in response to a call from Mr P re cat vomit, can't find it though, probably just as well!

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 09-Oct-15 17:38:23

I just tried to kneel down and - ouch! Had a look and bruise and swelling coming on nicely!

It's scary isn't it kitty? Once you realise you can't stop yourself.....

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 09-Oct-15 17:40:32

I usually like to have DH around if head hitting is involved, to reassure me that I'm not actually going to die. #dramaqueen

loopylou Fri 09-Oct-15 17:55:45

Ouch, they all sound painful......sad I bet there's more bruises yet to materialise, and probably aches and pains in odd places.

My very unspectacular fall onto my hands and knees resulted in total dislocation and 8 fractures to one ankle (which didn't hurt at the time) and the other one very badly sprained. All caused by catching my heel on a kerb. I ended up blocking the route around the car park - massively embarrassing and drawing a crowd of onlookers when the Air Ambulance arrived.

The strangest thing was it happened so quickly I didn't even remember thinking 'I'm falling'.......

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 09-Oct-15 18:24:29

And the medal (quite definitely) goes to.......... loopy!!!!

Were you sick in the Air Ambulance?

Katek Fri 09-Oct-15 18:33:45

Best way is to trip over DH's feet which he could have moved, teeter across the sitting room doing that sort of run where the top half moves faster than the legs, flail wildly to catch sofa to break fall, not quite make it but make it far enough to force outstretched arm behind head with a sickening crack. Cue DH trying to move me into recovery position as he thought I'd had a stroke/cardiac event and me hissing 'don't touch me' through gritted teeth. I had broken my shoulder - fracture of the greater tuberosity for you medical types. 6 weeks eith broken wing in a sling and fostering my eating/writing with left hand skills. Don't even mention showering or the difficulty in finding s front fastening soft bra.

harrigran Fri 09-Oct-15 18:37:53

jingl my sister did the same thing about two weeks ago and she still has a very sore swollen knee and lumbago as a result of twisting her back. I only ever fall over if I am wearing a floaty skirt so that all the world and his brother can see my pants blush

Maggiemaybe Fri 09-Oct-15 18:38:17

This goes back a few years, but lives long in the memory. I was sanding our downstairs floors with an exceedingly heavy hired sander in very hot weather and sweating profusely feeling the heat. Closed the curtains and stripped down to bra and pants, DH's biggest hanky round my mouth, biggest sunglasses on (safety first grin). Carrying our big old radio through from the kitchen I tripped over a roll of carpet and fell full-length onto radio, cracking bosom and chin smartly and narrowly missing knocking myself out on a handily placed stone doorstop. I've often wondered what the paramedics would have thought if I had done and they'd had to break in.

rubysong Fri 09-Oct-15 18:48:55

How about in front of the whole village during the mothers' race at the primary school sports years ago? I tripped over nothing at all but went full length on the grass. No harm done, apart from my pride, and possibly that of my DC. Five minutes later one of the fathers did exactly the same thing in the same place which made me feel better.
Hope you aren't too sore jings.

Auntieflo Fri 09-Oct-15 19:09:57

My fall was 30 odd years ago. My future SIL was giving me and DS2 a lift to Church. The parking was on a very rough piece of ground, and as I got out of the car, put a foot into a big hole. I fell twisting both ankles quite badly. DSIL said to DS, " where's your mother gone? Went home and put feet up with bags of frozen veg on each ankle. They haven't been right since, and are always swollen.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 09-Oct-15 19:16:12

ok. sympathy only on here please

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 09-Oct-15 19:16:33

Not really! Carry on.

Coolgran65 Fri 09-Oct-15 20:13:45

6 years ago on a Sunday, the day before my last day at work on retirement.
I handwashed DH white bowling jacket and went out the back door with it dripping to hang on the line. Tripped over the bottom of the door frame and down two steps..staggered several feet, hit the garage wall and fell down with forehead hitting the top of an iron gate. All the while trying not to drop the white jacket.

I saw blood, lots of it, called on DH who was reading the Sunday papers. As he came out I said I'm bleeding. DH grabbed a towel, I knew by his face it was bad. A flap of flesh was hanging down. DH wrapped my head and called for ddil who lived next door. Ddil took my pulse, made an ice pack from frozen veg. Gave me two paracaetamol and told me I'd be ok. I'd been quite calm until she said that...then the tears and shakes came.

DH got me to hospital a & e within 15 minutes. Head wrapped in a blood soaked towel. 14 stitches and I was home within the hour. Excellent NHS.

Next day I went to work as a special lunch had been arranged. Dark glasses to cover two black eyes, one of which was completely closed. My fringe hiding most of the stitches.

DH said he should wear a sign saying....It wasn't me!!

loopylou Fri 09-Oct-15 20:19:53

Thanks jingl, I think others' falls were more spectacular and probably far more public and painful sad

The Air Ambulance was very noisy and I was a bit cross because a) I couldn't see out, b) the paramedic cut my dress off me because there wasn't enough room to manoeuvre it off me because of the drip/oxygen ungrateful cow aren't I?

Seriously though, it's scary how quickly you can go from vertical to horizontal and the damage that's done, not only physically but also psychologically. I was so scared of doing it again, and it's taken ages to get my confidence up when walking on uneven surfaces (mainly because my ankles are weakened).

Never mind, at least I'm in one piece again!