Gransnet forums

Chat

Kissy kissy 1, 2,3.

(56 Posts)
Teetime Tue 13-Oct-15 09:52:02

This is about kissing friends, acquaintances or strangers not family. Are you a kisser and in which case once, twice or three times? I'm not a big kisser and will usually try to get away with one if the other person seems to expect it. It's become a normal end to a golf game now rather than shaking hands and I just feel awkward. I do think its funny when the four who have played start the kissing thingy and then they encounter DHs Corbyn- esque brillo beard - tee hee! wink

sunseeker Tue 13-Oct-15 10:11:14

I am not a "hugger" and do feel awkward when people lean in for a good bye kiss. I have one friend who really goes overboard never less than three and very often as many as five!

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 13-Oct-15 10:12:21

I hate it! (And people soon get to realise it too)

Luckygirl Tue 13-Oct-15 10:13:47

I love it! - bring it on!

Lona Tue 13-Oct-15 10:18:23

I'm a fairly tactile person, I will hug and kiss family members at the drop of a hat! However, I don't want to be hugging and kissing any 'tom, dick or harry!'
I do hug and kiss my best friend and a couple of close friends as they are fairly tactile too.

I can't stand all that kissy kissy alternate cheek stuff.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 13-Oct-15 10:21:55

Big slobbery one for you then lg. MWAH !!!

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 13-Oct-15 10:22:33

(serves you right if it was a wet one)

wink

Nelliemoser Tue 13-Oct-15 10:24:22

I frequently hug rarely kiss. Particularly good friends people I have not seen for a long time and former colleagues.

tanith Tue 13-Oct-15 10:25:24

I find that Europeans (not including the British) do kiss cheeks without awkwardness when greeting an acquaintance,friend or family I don't find it odd but my son had girlfriends who always greeted us like that and I just got used to it I guess. I would always greet family members with a kiss on the cheek and shoulder hug.

KatyK Tue 13-Oct-15 10:32:14

I'm happy that there is someone else who can't stand this. Yuk, yuk, yuk, particularly when it is with people I hardly know. We were never kissed or hugged as children so it is an alien concept to me. Obviously I hugged and kissed my daughter and granddaughter but everyone seems to hug and kiss me now, even people I hardly know. I find it uncomfortable.

Anya Tue 13-Oct-15 10:42:10

I always kiss friends and family twice. I love the fact that my SiL now initiates hello and goodbye kisses, as his family are not very tactile people.

If someone comes in for a hug then I'm up for that too.

Bring it on!

MiniMouse Tue 13-Oct-15 10:42:51

I categorise my hugs into a) a Genuine Hug and kiss for people that I really care about and b) a very, very Perfunctory Hug for people that I'm not familiar with - reluctantly accompanied by the almost-compulsory kiss on both cheek thing if pushed into it! It all seems very insincere when it's greeting strangers, but that's probably just me blush

TriciaF Tue 13-Oct-15 10:47:43

When I was a child we were expected to kiss all relatives when meeting and leaving, and as I got older found it embarrassing so stopped.
Here (SW France) the french often greet friends with kisses on each cheek (upper!) even some men. Many english people copy this habit, you can tell they're not used to it, it seems to be dying out now.
I just stick my hand out to shake hands and smile.
I've noticed hug&kiss is becoming more common on TV too, especially competitions like the Bakeoff.

Teetime Tue 13-Oct-15 10:53:37

It is difficult to know who likes it and who doesn't except oversees visitors who all seem to like it. If meeting a friend for coffee or lunch say you cant really shake hands after (well us ladies can't) and I'm pretty sure I feel like hugging a plank as I'm so stiff - again was never hugged or kissed as a child. My grandchildren and nephew are in no doubt that I want and give a huge hug and a kiss on their heads - the boys don't like being kissed at all at the moment- I expect they will get into it at some stage. All my in laws kiss and they do find me a bit stiff I know. I wonder if I should wear a badge - I quite like being kissed but not too much please and a hug is always welcome - bit long for a badge.

NfkDumpling Tue 13-Oct-15 10:54:10

Close friends only, but yes, one kiss, a clash of the specs and a three second hug. (Apparently a hug longer than three seconds is toooo friendly)

KatyK Tue 13-Oct-15 11:04:28

I was reading about Joan Collins recently who said 'when did all this kissing start?' She said she was at a party and a young pop star who she had never met came up to her and went to kiss her on her cheek. She said to this person 'I'm sorry, I don't know you. Why would I want to kiss you?' I'm with Joanie. Miserable so and so I am!

gillybob Tue 13-Oct-15 11:09:06

I am b hugger although I can't remember ever being cuddled or kissed by my parents. My grandparents more than made up for it though. Xxxxxxx to you all smile

ginny Tue 13-Oct-15 11:17:34

Always hugging DDs, DH and DGC, kisses when they arrive and leave, Lovely.

Other family members, short hug and small kiss. same with very close friends.

I'm another who is adverse to hugging and kissing people I have never met before, why would you ?

I have found , when introduced, a small step back and an extended arm and a smile seems to let people know that I am not in the market for false shows of affection.

hildajenniJ Tue 13-Oct-15 11:26:09

I am definitely not "kissy kissy". Never have been, never will be!

Alea Tue 13-Oct-15 11:32:27

Did a bit of a "Oops, what's coming now?" When DGS 2 (aged 3) announced he was going to do "proper grown up kissing!"

He meant on both cheeks like we all do when arriving and leaving.
Whew, that was a relief!
grin

janeainsworth Tue 13-Oct-15 11:49:27

I must say I breathe a sigh of relief when I go out walking with my old school friend, definitely no nonsense hugging and kissing as far as she's concerned!
I prefer to save them for family and occasions when someone needs emotional support for some reason and a hug seems appropriate.
I remember coming out of a restaurant in Jesmond once about 11pm and finding the street heaving with young people all enthusiastically hugging and kissing each other and thinking when did that all happen.

jogginggirl Tue 13-Oct-15 12:01:03

Definitely kissy kissy and I adore hugs from all friends and family. More, more please smile
We spend a fair bit of time in France and I love to watch the greetings between friends and neighbours. Some of our French neighbours are even comfortable doing the kiss kiss kiss thing with us - it's taken time to get there but that's OK... (kiss and hug emoticon please) grin

whitewave Tue 13-Oct-15 12:05:30

I'm the no kissing type. There is more of it about than there used to be though.

shysal Tue 13-Oct-15 12:09:33

I hate it too, and always go the wrong way if somebody leans in for a kiss! Used to love cuddling the GCs, but they are too old to want it any more. sad

grannyactivist Tue 13-Oct-15 12:20:03

Family and close friends mostly get (and give) the full treatment - lots of hugs, kisses and back patting even between the menfolk. Because my friends and acquaintances include so many people from other countries I tend to follow the lead of new acquaintances initially, especially with muslim or Asian men who are not generally used to being tactile with women, but are usually happy to become so after getting to know me. My Taiwanese foster son took years before he could instigate hugging and kissing - now he grabs me in a bear hug as soon as he sees me. smile My mother has never been tactile, but nowadays she 'submits' to a peck on the cheek from her children and grandchildren.
Interestingly I have a new acquaintance who is in need of a great deal of support at the moment and when she arrives and leaves she always gives me a 'proper' kiss (as opposed to an 'air kiss') on the cheek, sometimes holding my face to deliver it. I've just realised it reminds me of how children kiss.