Gransnet forums

Chat

What do you like to be called?

(100 Posts)
Blondehedgehog Sat 21-Nov-15 11:29:01

When I was growing up I was taught that people much older than me should be addressed by their title e.g Mr or Mrs...... Now, when dealing with shops, firms, office staff etc. I am addressed by my first name, and I don't like it. I think in the first instance you should be addressed 'Mr or Mrs' and asked it is OK to use your first name. And I say NO.
Am I being too old fashioned?

harrigran Sat 21-Nov-15 11:30:53

No, politeness costs nothing.

Luckygirl Sat 21-Nov-15 11:32:44

I like being addressed by my first name. I do not regard it as impolite - it is, after all, my name.

ninathenana Sat 21-Nov-15 12:08:54

I don't mind strangers using my first name. People on the phone often ask if it's ok, they use their own first name so why not.
I was brought up to call my elders Mr or Mrs. Now I struggle to do otherwise with friend's parents. Even though they tell me to use their first names.
My DC never called my friends Mr & Mrs, and friends children called DH and I by our first names. The exception was DD's Godmother who referred to herself as Auntie L*"*" so that's what the children called her.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 21-Nov-15 12:10:02

I agree with the original poster.

Anya Sat 21-Nov-15 12:18:47

Yes you are being old fashioned blondwhatsit

I grew up in a world very different from the one I'm living in now and I have moved with the times. You don't like being addressed by your firsr name - as luckygirl says its your first name, so get over it.

I only wish I had nothing more to moan worry about than something as trivial as that hmm

Galen Sat 21-Nov-15 12:28:09

The only place I've met blonde hedgehogs is Aldeney in the Channel Islands. Any connection?

aggie Sat 21-Nov-15 12:28:31

My first name is odd , one could say unique , so I prefer to be called Mrs O , it is easier than the long explanation and spelling out

Galen Sat 21-Nov-15 12:30:50

On Cunard they always address me as Dr on Princess lines they use my first name which I hate. I never use it and am always known by its diminutive

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 21-Nov-15 12:31:08

Good lord Anya! That was totally uncalled for! shock

Perfectly reasonable OP, and the head.

And the name isn't that difficult either. hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 21-Nov-15 12:32:33

and thread that should have read

Anniebach Sat 21-Nov-15 12:44:01

I don't think you are old fashioned , I will use an older persons Christian name but only if they ask me too . I don't mind if someone in a telephone call asks if they may use my first name. Don't have the problems in our shops, either known them well and we use Christian names, if the assistant is younger they know my daughters and use my surname.

tanith Sat 21-Nov-15 12:48:14

I really don't mind one way or t'other makes no difference in the grand scheme does it.

Jane10 Sat 21-Nov-15 13:03:48

It depends on who's saying it and how they say it. Perfectly pleasant people calling me by first name is usually ok but cheeky young whippersnappers are sharply told it's Dr to them! Context is everything.
PS I always call people older than me Mr or Mrs until asked otherwise (and even then I sometimes struggle).

annodomini Sat 21-Nov-15 13:08:14

I'm with Ana. It doesn't matter what anyone calls me, apart from the ones who call me Mum or Granny. I am not fond of my surname as I kept my married name when I divorced. I wish I hadn't, but at the time the DSs were still at home and it seemed best to have the same surname.

Ana Sat 21-Nov-15 13:11:08

Oh so do I jane. My dentist of 30 years was always 'Mr Surname' but he retired and the two new young partners insist on being called by their first names...it's hard to get used to!

BTW I can't see my GP being too pleased if I breezed into her surgery with a cheery 'Hi Shirley!' grin

Ana Sat 21-Nov-15 13:12:21

(think you mean Anya, anno, as I haven't posted before!)

Charleygirl Sat 21-Nov-15 13:12:38

I do not mind being addressed by my first name. What I do not like is a parcel sent to me via some company with only my first name on it. That could lead to problems if it goes astray and my surname is not there also.

Blondehedgehog Sat 21-Nov-15 13:14:26

Oh dear!....I just thought I would post a light hearted thought.

No connection with Aldeney
Get out of bed the wrong side Anya?
Thanks jinglbellsfrocks

kittylester Sat 21-Nov-15 13:33:09

No-one knows what might be happening in Anya's life at the moment to make her say she has other things to worry about.

I am happy to be called by the diminutive of my name but hate the 'Sunday' version (courtesy of Mrs Bucket!!) with a vengeance. My favourite SiL calls me Ma and I love it!

ginny Sat 21-Nov-15 13:46:20

When it is something formal or official I like to be addressed as Mrs ..... unless I ask them to use my forename.

When being introduced in a social situation I am happy to be called by my forename and of course friends and relatives would use that as well. Not my DC and DGC though, Mum and Nana are fine and I would hate them to use my forename.

As for cold callers and the like , they can call me whatever they want as I will usually say I am someone else.

Anya Sat 21-Nov-15 14:13:24

No I didn't get out of bed the wrong side blondehedgehog - you asked a question and if you didn't get the answer you hoped for then tough.

Yes, there's a lot going on in my life (thanks kitty) and really, what a silly old-fashioned granny-thing to get worked up about.

wanders off muttering about narky old biddies ladies women who get their knickers bloomers in a twist about nothing

ginny Sat 21-Nov-15 14:27:35

Anya I'm sorry your life is difficult at the moment. and hope it improves.

However ,I don't think the OP was 'getting worked up', simply musing on something that she doesn't particularly like. Many threads on here are light hearted, are they all to dismissed ?

janeainsworth Sat 21-Nov-15 14:29:30

DS calls me mother and DDs both call me mam. I'm happy with both those smile
When I worked, I took my cue from the patients. Some people would march in and state firmly that they wanted to be called Lily or Albert. If they called me Jane, or used terms of endearment such as pet or hinny, I called them by their first names. Otherwise I used their surnames, unless they were the same age as my DCs or younger in which case I used their first names.

henetha Sat 21-Nov-15 14:43:24

I prefer the informality these days than the stuffiness I grew up with.
If anyone calls me by my first name I take that as a sign of friendliness
and am delighted.