Gransnet forums

Chat

Alcohol free January

(457 Posts)
NanKate Mon 28-Dec-15 23:17:40

My DS and DinL regularly have an alcohol free January and I am wondering whether to join them. Anyone else tried it ?

Cheers wine

whitewave Mon 28-Dec-15 23:19:23

What I need is a good free Januarytchblush

whitewave Mon 28-Dec-15 23:32:01

Food free!!! My typing is dreadful

gillybob Tue 29-Dec-15 00:00:54

I did think about it but it's my birthday in January and it would be rude not to have a drink on my own birthday.

Wouldn't it ??? hmm

Maggiemaybe Tue 29-Dec-15 00:15:30

That's my excuse too, gillybob. wink

gillybob Tue 29-Dec-15 00:18:40

Cool, so it's not just me then Maggie what about an alcohol free February?

now who's birthday is it in February?

Maggiemaybe Tue 29-Dec-15 00:22:15

Oh heck, I can't think of any birthdays...

Ah, but we'll need to celebrate Valentine's Day, won't we?

Strangely, I think I've got something booked in for every month of the year or soon will have grin

gillybob Tue 29-Dec-15 00:24:14

Yes me too. I'm struggling with April at the moment Maggie I wonder if you could help me out?

when does Easter fall in 2016?

Maggiemaybe Tue 29-Dec-15 00:28:25

Yes, it's Easter, gillybob (phew). And it just wouldn't be right to miss that traditional Easter Sunday tipple, would it?

Maggiemaybe Tue 29-Dec-15 00:29:22

I was struggling with November, but I'll just book a holiday.

suzied Tue 29-Dec-15 03:48:19

I did Dry January last year and it was fine. I did feel better, though it was a bit boring. I'm intending to do it again after the N Y E party of course! Thre is a Dry January app you can get to track your progress which I have downloaded.

jogginggirl Tue 29-Dec-15 07:54:35

Yes, I'm up for it. Recently did a dry September and felt much better for it ...

grannyqueenie Tue 29-Dec-15 08:05:08

Sorry to have to tell you this, butEaster's in March this year!!grin

Maggiemaybe Tue 29-Dec-15 09:18:05

Darn it, grannyqueenie, I nearly got away with that! grin.

Update: Those of us in England will of course need to raise a glass to St George in April.

jogginggirl Tue 29-Dec-15 09:52:48

Maggie keep trying ....
winkgrin

Teetime Tue 29-Dec-15 10:12:40

It's a really good idea I think but I would find that too much of a challenge at the same time as trying to lose weight so we are going to have a drink at weekends only during January and never lunchtimes which we sometimes do at weekends. It will help the weight loss but I don't want to set unrealistic goals for myself.

Teetime Tue 29-Dec-15 10:13:00

It's a really good idea I think but I would find that too much of a challenge at the same time as trying to lose weight so we are going to have a drink at weekends only during January and never lunchtimes which we sometimes do at weekends. It will help the weight loss but I don't want to set unrealistic goals for myself.

Teetime Tue 29-Dec-15 10:13:31

ninathenana Tue 29-Dec-15 10:19:34

Sorry ladies Easter is actually the last weekend in March tchgrin
I shall probably have an alcohol free January even though it's my birthday.
I had two glasses of bubbly with Christmas lunch. That was my entire intake for December.

Anne2108 Tue 29-Dec-15 10:36:46

Your halo is shining brightly Ninathenanny, but as one of the lesser mortals who probably drinks more than is good for her and enjoys every mouthful, I shall be joining the dry January brigade. I do have two or three weeks off several times during the year anyway, so hopefully won't find it too hard.

margk Tue 29-Dec-15 10:45:06

I don't drink so I can't join the 'booze free' brigade. Thank goodness they don't have a coffee free month - I would really have problems.

Daisymay44 Tue 29-Dec-15 10:47:11

Ha ha - loving these posts! So full of fun - jury definitely still out as to whether my January will be dry - though having slipped a bribe to the foreman/person I think the purveyors of fine wines and Glenmorangie will be able to breathe a sigh of relief that in my part of Oxfordshire at least their sakes will remain stable! ??

loopylou Tue 29-Dec-15 10:54:44

I don't usually drink so perhaps I ought to have a 'wet' January and reverse the trend? One bottle of Sloe Gin and several bottles of wine lined up hmm

tanith Tue 29-Dec-15 11:01:53

Good luck everyone who gives it a go , every month is dry for me but my son and dil do try to have a 'dry' January.

mrsmopp Tue 29-Dec-15 11:30:37

Easy for me. I don't drink alcohol, ever, full stop. Don't like it.