Gransnet forums

Chat

Tv prog has really unsettled me

(44 Posts)
Katek Sat 16-Jan-16 15:31:48

I watched the first episode of Shetland last night - a very good start to the series - but certain scenes have been preying on my mind ever since and I'm struggling to shift the unease. A young man was shut inside a shipping container and nobody could hear him, no mobile signal either. He started off banging, shouting and hammering on the sides and after three days was voiceless and whimpering in the dark. He was eventually found dead. For some reason this has affected me quite badly to the extent that I woke up several times during the night. I know it's fiction, he's an actor, etc but it's obviously triggered something in the recesses of my mind. Don't like this but can't seem to shake the uneasiness/disquiet.

tanith Sat 16-Jan-16 15:37:40

Maybe you have a touch of claustrophobia yourself Katek? Its understandable if you do.
I watched it too and found it unsettling a little but not to any great extent that it is still bothering me.
Hopefully the effect will wear off.

kittylester Sat 16-Jan-16 15:38:39

I really enjoyed it too Kate and it has kept coming back to me too, although not to the same extent.

I won't watch 'nasty' things because I know that they prey on my mind - I think this was the furthest along the 'nasty' spectrum that I am able to go.

There seem to be lots of twists and turns coming up.

Luckygirl Sat 16-Jan-16 15:54:54

I do like Shetland - all of it - the scenery, the acting, the characters. The only problem I had last night was that there were two bearded middle-aged men who looked the same; and two young men who also looked the same - we kept saying "Which one was that?"

Alea Sat 16-Jan-16 15:58:52

Our own homegrown version of Scandi noir. Yes it was gripping stuff and beautifully shot. I have read the books some years ago (but fortunately can't remember who dunnit or what they dun. )

Waveney Sat 16-Jan-16 16:07:51

I have read the books too, which are really good. This series of Shetland is not based on one of the books so we will all have to wait to see how it develops! (The same author also writes the novels on which the series Vera is based and that is back on again soon)

kittylester Sat 16-Jan-16 16:27:44

Who ever dun it, there appears to be a lot of it being dun. grin

Anniebach Sat 16-Jan-16 16:40:48

Another possibility is you have recalled news reports of immigrants who have been found dead after being trapped in vehicles etc

Elegran Sat 16-Jan-16 16:48:22

I skip passages like that in books. I can break out in a sweat just thinking about being in tghat position, without the effort of watching it happen. Even the report that a BBC reporter got stuck when he tried going through the hole that the Hatton Garden robbers had made made me shudder, and he had plenty of people to haul him out (and laugh!)

merlotgran Sat 16-Jan-16 16:52:03

I have to get my ear in with the accent but I think it's a great series.

Anya Sat 16-Jan-16 17:03:32

Lucky I'm glad it's not just me, I was getting confused with those lookalikes too confused

tanith Sat 16-Jan-16 17:06:22

Oh dear I thought the guy with the beard was one person who smartened himself up, I better pay more attention.

HildaW Sat 16-Jan-16 17:14:54

Katek......watched it myself and was gripped, but must admit it crept into my thoughts during the night, you know those moments you wake up and find yourself reflecting on 'stuff'. Did manage to get back to sleep thankfully but it was powerful stuff (makes a change as I'm especially disappointed with War and Peace).

My Mum always said I had an over active imagination and would have some very wakeful dreams as a child and I do still have a few that reawaken some very powerful emotions even now, so you are not alone.

All these rather grim 'Scandi' style series are good at tapping into our dark moments and its a fine balance between what fascinates and what appals us - thankfully this is not about nasty things being done to women or children so hopefully I can continue to watch....not that I enjoy nasty things done to men.....but this one seems to be mainly about drugs not perversions. Although the nasty old man in the Care home was a bit of a shock.

ninathenana Sat 16-Jan-16 17:15:31

Do you mean you confused the weirdo taxidermist and the artists boyfriend and the dead boy and the one in the white van. I was slightly confused to start with over these pairs.

LullyDully Sat 16-Jan-16 17:34:12

Enjoyed Shetland, though the container scene was grim.

We are also enjoying the new series of Hinterland, set in Aberystwyth, on catch up. That is even darker. Think it's due for the Saturday BBC 4 slot soon perhaps after Young Montelbano.

We do enjoy that time, though our son teases us about it.

Katek Sat 16-Jan-16 17:45:25

Thanks for all your thoughts - I don't normally watch/read 'nasties' as it does set me off down this path. I think I'm a bit of an empath and despite this being a tv production I tend to react as if it were real. My father used to say that my biggest problem was I thought too much.(!) Perhaps it does have a connection to refugee deaths and my own psyche. I do know that I'm more comfortable sitting at row ends in the theatre and I always identify the fire exits in hotels/restaurants. I also have great difficulty watching programmes about caving or potholing and I could never use the Channel tunnel or the tube.

whitewave Sat 16-Jan-16 18:46:26

Is the dead container boy the same as the missing one? It was a tad difficult to tell. Good though. I enjoyed it last year as well.

rosesarered Sat 16-Jan-16 18:51:47

Yes,it was the same one ww

rosesarered Sat 16-Jan-16 18:54:30

It was a good first episode, gripping.It Was unsettling, ( his death in the sealed container) I had thought he would be rescued.Shetland is a good drama, but it does look very cold and bleak there!Brrrrr.

tanith Sat 16-Jan-16 18:59:24

yes ninathenana but my excuse is I popped out to make a cuppa halfway through grin

Greyduster Sat 16-Jan-16 19:18:16

What about Flanders and Swann's 'Song of Patriotic Prejudice'? "the English, the English, the English are best, I wouldn't give tuppence for all of the rest!"grin

Greyduster Sat 16-Jan-16 19:19:11

Oh, lord! I've posted in the wrong thread!! Sorry!

rosesarered Sat 16-Jan-16 19:20:50

grin we all do it at times.

NanKate Sat 16-Jan-16 20:53:24

Merlotgran if you put on the subtitles then you needn't worry about the accent. I thought it was a good new gritty series to watch.

The programme that upset me for days was when Terry Pratchett went with a couple to Switzerland where the man went to Dignitas to die. I was surprised how badly I was affected, especially as I agree with Assisted Dying.

Ana Sat 16-Jan-16 20:58:51

Yes, the poor man didn't have a particularly peaceful death, did he? I admit I found it quite worrying, athough I agree with assisted dying as well.