Gransnet forums

Chat

Why did you join gransnet?

(126 Posts)
obieone Fri 05-Feb-16 09:49:29

I joined because I was a bit bored.
And wanted to learn more about being a granny.

Teetime Fri 05-Feb-16 09:51:24

Because it was there! grin

NanaandGrampy Fri 05-Feb-16 09:51:51

I quite like forums and the wealth of knowledge contained. And maybe the opportunity to share experiences or knowledge. It can be therapeutic and a place to discuss things that in RL you might not.

Pittcity Fri 05-Feb-16 09:57:05

I took a look and became addicted!

downtoearth Fri 05-Feb-16 10:32:32

By accident ,was looking at mumsnet for inspiration when dealing with GD's many issues and discovered GN was Nelliedean for about 2.5 years,then left due to work commitments,re-invented about 10 months ago as dte

pollyparrot Fri 05-Feb-16 10:35:22

I stumbled across it and thought, oh yes I'm a Gran this forum could be for me.

Tizliz Fri 05-Feb-16 10:37:42

Just to have a chat to someone other than my OH - we work together, just the two of us, so often don't talk to anyone else all day - the trouble is all his talk tends to be about engineering (only so much talk of thread sizes, metal tension etc that a girl can take).

merlotgran Fri 05-Feb-16 10:38:11

I can't remember where I found the link to gransnet but there was a thread running about issues with carers so I jumped in because I was relieved to see others were experiencing the same problems.

It is addictive grin

Lona Fri 05-Feb-16 10:42:05

I joined when it started and it was my first forum. I've learned a lot!!
1/ Think before posting.
2/ Preview.
3/ Don't be too frivolous.
4/ Don't be too smutty.
5/ Don't respond to posts that make me angry.

I really enjoy it! wink

Jalima Fri 05-Feb-16 10:48:41

My best friend, who was always such a fount of sensible advice and with whom I could chat endlessly about anything, died very suddenly. I looked on Mumsnet but it wasn't for me then saw that there was a Gransnet site. Although I still have DH, GN has helped to fill an empty space.

Jalima Fri 05-Feb-16 10:49:58

only so much talk of thread sizes, metal tension etc that a girl can take.
Tizliz I agree grin

Greenfinch Fri 05-Feb-16 10:58:34

I needed some practical advice about a charity to send some blankets to. Someone recommended to ask on Gransnet which I did and received a lot of very friendly advice. I never introduced myself or said Hello though. Just dived in.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 05-Feb-16 11:00:38

Because it was there.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 05-Feb-16 11:02:03

"Don't be too frivolous"?!!! Oh shite!

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 05-Feb-16 11:03:50

shock Teetime's already said mine! Gerrorfff!

rosesarered Fri 05-Feb-16 11:13:57

I had a look at Mumsnet ( not for me) when I was looking for advice about conservatories and heating, saw an ad on there for Gransnet, had a look and found good advice.

Cambia Fri 05-Feb-16 11:17:11

Just love the humour and common sense! it just seems to be the right forum for me. Quite relaxed, laid back and yet lots of info. love it!

Imperfect27 Fri 05-Feb-16 11:22:51

Found it by accident, looking up something MN and thought 'wow' a site for grannies!

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 05-Feb-16 11:23:22

I first went on Mumsnet to get advice about a medical procedure DGS1 had to go through. I spoke as if he was my son! shock (I was a bit old for Mmsnet)

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 05-Feb-16 11:24:22

I like message boards and thought GN would be full of women around my age to chat to about clothes and makeup. There's not a lot of that tbh, but there's plenty of other stuff to keep me occupied. Always did like a good argument discussion and there's plenty of that on GN! grin

rubysong Fri 05-Feb-16 11:38:54

I joined when DS1 and family emigrated and I needed some advice about how to cope with being a transatlantic Grandma. I found lots of wisdom and fun from the G netters. I avoid anything too contentious most of the time but I like household hints and fun stuff. I have learnt how to fold a fitted sheet from a GN link!

thatbags Fri 05-Feb-16 11:50:32

Because why not? Give it a go. See if it's any good. DD had mentioned Mumsnet as being helpful when she was a new mum.

glassortwo Fri 05-Feb-16 12:32:41

Was on Mumsnet at DD suggestion and when Gransnet was formed I was just waiting for them opening the doors.

I think it filled a gap after leaving work to look after Dgc, I was feeling cut off much the way you do when you first have children. I have met lots of virtual friends who have turned into real life friends.

NonnaW Fri 05-Feb-16 12:51:18

Was looking for some place where I could ask questions and get relevant answers - Google is just too vague. Once I started looking, I was hooked. There is always something to make me smile on here, just love some of the things posted. Very wide range of opinions on here!

ffinnochio Fri 05-Feb-16 12:51:41

Heard about it on the radio, and thought I'd give it a go. Made some good chums.