Gransnet forums

Chat

Men!

(47 Posts)
Tizliz Thu 11-Feb-16 09:42:02

Discussion last night to OH "washing machine engineer is coming tomorrow and you know he doesn't like dogs so take them both with you tomorrow".
This morning "Can you take the skirting off before the engineer comes"
In the garden me to Harvey (dog) "In the car" OH to me "why is Harvey coming with me?"

Is it me?

FarNorth Thu 11-Feb-16 09:46:20

Yes.
I get times like that when I tell myself something then it completely goes out of my head, even tho I've been doing other things that are related to it. (I'm not a man btw)

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 11-Feb-16 09:49:43

shock Did he only take one dog? And is the skirting still on?

Tizliz Thu 11-Feb-16 10:11:22

He took both dogs, though Harvey knew I was not coming and was reluctant to get in car.

Yes, the skirting is off - and cleaned both sides. Think I have found the problem with the washing machine blush, think the filter is full but it will not come out and it was the engineer who last put it in so he can get it back out!

NanaandGrampy Thu 11-Feb-16 10:11:37

Might have been worse . He could have taken the skirting in the car and left the dogs smile

Tizliz Thu 11-Feb-16 10:13:19

NanaandGrampy yes, this was a possibility. I can't understand how someone who can make such precision items (he makes exclusive tools) can be so absent minded at home.

Nonnie Thu 11-Feb-16 10:19:20

I think men have 'selective hearing' and 'selective memory'. Now would he have forgotten if it had been anything to do with football/golf/his hobby? grin

Tiz I can't understand how DH had a career in IT and can't use his phone! DSs think he wasn't really in IT but because he worked for an American company he was really in the CIA!

loopylou Thu 11-Feb-16 14:49:53

Definitely the male species have selective hearing and memory. We're I'm having the utility room sorted out after living here for 19 years (he's always suffering from 'abouttodoititis'!

If I've told him once what's happening, I've explained it twenty times ??
Part of it is he's sulking because I've sorted it out, poor chap.......

Synonymous Thu 11-Feb-16 14:58:03

Always write it down! Preferably on a big whiteboard in the kitchen where it is easily seen. Then all you have to do is make sure they look at it every day. hmm
It may not always work but it cuts down the "you didn't tell me'' response. grin

Synonymous Thu 11-Feb-16 15:00:43

loopylou funny how you ( threatening to be) doing it can galvanise DH in to action. grin

NanaandGrampy Thu 11-Feb-16 15:39:07

TizzLiz that did make me chuckle !! Has anyone noticed mens inability to see stuff in the cupboard or fridge despite detailed instructions ?

Galen Thu 11-Feb-16 16:19:36

Or find socks in the usual drawer?

Nonnie Thu 11-Feb-16 16:20:08

Love that word Loupy I'm going to adopt 'abouttodoitis'

I email himself if it is important and then can resend if he forgets!

Have you seen: If a man says he will do it, he will, you don't have to keep reminding him every six months.

Auntieflo Thu 11-Feb-16 16:36:09

I think they are all the same. If an item doesn't leap out of a cupboard/drawer etc, it's not there, and never has been, until you point it out.

NanaandGrampy Thu 11-Feb-16 17:12:46

I have a theory smile

Men are hunter / gatherers so..... In times gone by were used to moving targets . As tins in the cupboard aren't jumping up and down and waving little tin arms - they simply don't see them :-)

Elegran Thu 11-Feb-16 17:48:30

Men were the hunters, so they needed to focus on one thing and go after it - it didn't matter to them about the things they passed on the way. Women did the gathering, so they noticed which fruit was almost ready to pick so that they could return later, where the plants grew that had edible roots, how a bird had a nest of eggs in that bush, and so on.

absent Thu 11-Feb-16 18:05:11

Good theory but based on a false premise. In primitive societies the whole tribe, including the women, went hunting. Moreover, hunting – especially something large like a woolly mammoth – usually involved chivying it off a cliff rather than manly face-to-face combat. It seems, however, that women did most of the gathering on their own.

Jalima Thu 11-Feb-16 18:16:21

DH says 'write me a list' but then he has to remember to look at it hmm

Judthepud2 Thu 11-Feb-16 19:39:07

Mine has just stopped listening! Or maybe he never did. DGSs don't listen either. Is it me?

Perhaps some of our grandpas will feed into this discussion. Would be interesting to hear their take on this.

NanaandGrampy Thu 11-Feb-16 19:44:45

I was joking actually smile

rubylady Fri 12-Feb-16 05:44:14

In our house with my DS, "If mum can't find it, it's lost!". Too true, coz he can't see what is in front of his nose. A man in training! grin

cornergran Fri 12-Feb-16 07:57:13

Here there's a well developed ability to focus intently on anything rather than the obvious priority task that not only have we talked about but is often suggested by DH. It's an art form and could be admired. grin

sunseeker Fri 12-Feb-16 07:58:50

My DH would stand in the middle of the room, glance around and then say he couldn't find his keys! I even bought him a key ring which made a noise when you whistled - he lost it!!!!!

Marmark1 Fri 12-Feb-16 08:33:43

Had a giggle at some of your replies.Told you men are from Mars.Sometimes I get more response from Reuben.

Welshwife Fri 12-Feb-16 08:48:42

They do not have multitasking brains or the ability to follow a conversation which takes a slight detour! grin