Gransnet forums

Chat

Can't believe I've been so stupid!

(23 Posts)
Indinana Thu 11-Feb-16 19:18:55

I got a new car nearly 3 weeks ago. It was an ex motability car bought through a friend of my DS, who buys and sells cars and is (I think) an agent for Motability.
He delivered the car to me, and did all the paperwork. He told me that with a new ownership the tax has to be bought at a Post Office. As it was a Saturday afternoon, this was not possible, so he checked the tax status online and said, it's Ok - it's showing that it's taxed so don't worry.
I thought I'd better go to the Post Office when I got the new registration document, but that didn't arrive till a week ago. And then other issues (hospital appointments, DD's employment worries etc.) got in the way and I forgot.
Today a letter arrived headed in BIG BOLD PRINT "Your last chance". Basically telling me off for not taxing or declaring SORN. I went straight to the Post Office and explained and was told that I could only buy tax from 1st February now, and the month of January would show as a 'gap' for which I would no doubt be contacted and possibly fined shock. I told the guy at the PO that I didn't even get the new registration document until February so I wouldn't have been able to get to the Post Office in time to tax it for January anyway. It seems, though, that I could have done it without, but I didn't know blush.
The stupid thing is, the car is zero-rated for tax, so it's not even as if it would have cost me anything to do it earlier.
I'm so cross!

tanith Thu 11-Feb-16 19:29:44

You can do the whole thing online now Indinana, how annoying though I hope they have pity on you and just let it go.. fingers crossed.

Indinana Thu 11-Feb-16 20:24:32

I always do it online tanith and I tried today, but the problem was that the car was still classified as 'exempt - disabled', which I'm not. And when I selected 'details are not correct' I got a page telling me that I would be unable to continue with the online system and I would need to phone. So I did that - it's a fully automated phone system and again, when it reached the point where it asked me to confirm that the car was classified as exempt disabled, the automated voice said that by continuing I would be agreeing to them checking my eligibility etc. etc. Well, of course, I couldn't continue. There was NO option for me to change the classification either online or on the phone, so I had to go to the PO.
It was only when I got to the PO, that the fellow there showed me the classification on my registration document, which read 'disabled'. Silly me, I hadn't checked that blush

Jalima Thu 11-Feb-16 20:40:09

When he sent off his part of the change of ownership he should have told them it was de-registered for Motability, surely?

It's his problem to sort out, not yours.

Jalima Thu 11-Feb-16 20:40:56

Although you have to be the one to tax it, I should have said, as the tax ceases on change of ownership now.

Indinana Thu 11-Feb-16 20:59:42

Yes, I think that is what he should have done Jalima. I think it's a bit of a learning curve for him, though, because he became an agent for Motability only very recently, and I think mine was the first one he'd bought and sold! I shall have to make sure he knows. He's a nice guy, a good friend of my son's. I don't think he was being intentionally negligent there.

durhamjen Thu 11-Feb-16 21:16:38

When the car tax system changed, lots of people were caught by that, Indinana.
It used to be that the tax disc could transfer, but as that's not the case now every time a car changes hands, DVLA get an extra months car tax.
Clever, eh?

Deedaa Thu 11-Feb-16 21:33:11

I bought a car about 10 years ago that had been used by a disabled driver and was exempt from tax. I spent a hideous day trekking across the county searching for the only office where I could change it. Hours of asking directions which kept being wrong.

And if you want stupid what about the time I got lost and was stopped by the Police only to find that my MOT was six days out of date. That was an expensive night out.

Indinana Thu 11-Feb-16 21:46:47

Oh dear Deedaa that was damned unlucky. I knew someone who drove his car for several weeks without an MOT because he'd got the date mixed up in his head with the road tax renewal date. The penny finally dropped when the tax renewal dropped through the letter box around the time that he'd been thinking about booking the MOT shock. He was very lucky not to have been caught!
Thankfully, the Post Office was able to sort the tax classification out for me - they made the alteration, got my signature, and will send the registration document away for amendment. I should get the new one in the post in due course.

durhamjen Thu 11-Feb-16 21:59:24

I bought my husband's motability car after he died.
I had to go to Gosforth, twelve miles away, to change the tax on it, and was very worried that I would be stopped by a policeman using number plate recognition.
I stayed off the motorway, just in case.
Between paying for it and taxing it, I never drove it, even though I was the only driver of it while he was alive.

annodomini Thu 11-Feb-16 23:03:12

I drove for three months without an MOT. I had the clutch changed about the time my MOT was due in September and completely forgot about it until I received a letter from DVLA telling me that unless I got a valid MOT they wouldn't renew my tax! I had about ten days to get this all sorted and with the help of my local garage I did. Luckily the only thing it needed was a new wiper blade. My next MOT is already marked on my calendar.

Jalima Thu 11-Feb-16 23:20:12

Not wishing to blackcat, but I didn't realise my MOT had run out until four months later, it was only when I went to tax the car that I noticed!

rubylady Fri 12-Feb-16 02:33:49

Can I ask how the Mobility system works for cars and disabled? I have applied for my DLA to change to PIP (apparently you have to change it over if you have a change of circumstance now, can't just change the DLA), and the lady was saying that if I got the higher rate mobility then I could get a car. Is this right? Do I have to have any of the personal care bit of PIP to get a car or just mobility? And what comes with it, tax and insurance etc?

I haven't drove for a good while now so if I do get allowed one I would take some lessons again, just to get the rust off.

It would be lovely though as I don't get out really, don't know anyone round here and my old friends live a way away, too far really for public transport due to my health and a taxi would be too expensive. So I could get a social life going again in real life. Just when I would need it, with my son moving away. Even if I could just get my doggie to the park for a look out over the pond/lodge, feed the ducks, take a flask, then it would be wonderful. Not many taxis round here will take her even though she has never bit anyone, she wouldn't and she is tiny. I just want some quality of life back. So, fingers, toes and everything else crossed. smile

tiredoldwoman Fri 12-Feb-16 05:30:53

I'm finding all this talk about remembering to tax etc most comforting ! I thought that I was the only one who forgot ! Big words on calendar needed !

ninathenana Fri 12-Feb-16 08:41:07

My current car was previously owned by a disabled driver and therefore exempt. I can't remember the time frame but It was very simple to go to my local PO and get it taxed. I recently renewed this online as usual.
Indiana how is the car zero rated confused
rubylady a friend's mobility car is tax exempt and toll road exempt I believe that she gets reduced benefits because she chooses to use some of the money in the form of the car.

kittylester Fri 12-Feb-16 09:44:31

Disabled cars are zero rated for road tax I think and the tax can't be done on line because the category is changing. You should be able to do it on line from now onwards.

Indinana Fri 12-Feb-16 19:55:51

nina I expected to pay £20 or £30 annual road tax - my last car was £30. So I had my purse all ready to pay at the Post Office, but when the fellow changed the classification and looked it up he told me, 'good news, because your car's emissions are so low, the tax is free anyway!' I wasn't going to argue smile
kitty yes, I will always tax it online from now - that's what I've always done. Well not always, obviously, but since the online system has been available wink

rubylady Fri 12-Feb-16 21:09:33

Thank you nina. I will have to change over from DLA to PIP anyway soon so might as well do it now after I have been suffering with my lack of mobility more in the last 2 years hoping that it will get better but it hasn't. flowers

Candelle Fri 12-Feb-16 21:41:30

I once forgot to renew the 'road fund' on my car and gaily drove it around for almost six months before realising.

I was so upset that I sent a cheque for the back amount to the DVLA, who then sent me a new tax disc but there was no comment about the missing months.

As a law-abiding citizen, I was upset with myself but it also goes to show that mistakes can be made. I now have all renewal dates writ large on my calendar!

Galen Fri 12-Feb-16 22:04:26

ruby if you're over 65 you have to claim AA and there is no mobility component.
It's all a mine field

rubylady Sat 13-Feb-16 01:56:44

I'm not even 52 yet Galen, I just sound older! grin

rubylady Sat 13-Feb-16 01:57:36

I'm thinking of putting a sign in the window "Please come in and talk to me" hmm.

brendastone Mon 18-Feb-19 08:48:24

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.