Gransnet forums

Chat

What's for dinner?

(47 Posts)
Tizliz Sat 13-Feb-16 22:11:31

What did you cook for dinner today? I want some inspiration as I feel I cook the same things again and again.

Tonight we had cod and chorizo on chick peas.

kittylester Sat 13-Feb-16 22:14:43

Crispy ginger beef on egg fried rice.

Tomorrow we are having lamb tagine with rice and salad.

We had a thread like this a while ago Tizliz and I really enjoyed it!

Grannyknot Sat 13-Feb-16 22:24:25

We had lamb medallions, with roast sweet potato wedges, shallots and cherry tomatoes all done together in the same pan. Served with green beans and shredded Savoy cabbage steamed together.

Galen Sat 13-Feb-16 22:37:04

Chicken catchatore cooked in the slow cooker. Rest for tomorrow

numberplease Sat 13-Feb-16 22:48:58

Very simple and ordinary today, fish fingers and chips. Tomorrow we`re having chicken breasts braised with onions, accompanied by mashed potatoes, savoy cabbage and carrots.

merlotgran Sat 13-Feb-16 22:51:18

Tandoori chicken and salad.

hildajenniJ Sat 13-Feb-16 23:03:44

Good old mince and dumplings for us today, with mashed potatoes and peas. Yesterday we had lamb rogan Josh (home made). Tomorrow sausages, but I haven't thought of how yet.

NanaandGrampy Sat 13-Feb-16 23:19:04

Crispy duck with pancakes and hoisin sauce , julienne cucumber and Spring onions ! Thoroughly enjoyed it and not complicated at all .

f77ms Sat 13-Feb-16 23:51:23

A small sirloin steak which I left most of and a large portion of roasted veg . I have completely changed my eating habits since being diagnosed with high cholesterol 6 months ago .
I am running out of ideas about what to cook , I live alone so prefer easy things now I don`t have to cook for a husband and 4 strapping sons ! Any ideas anyone?

starbird Sun 14-Feb-16 00:55:28

f77ms Lots of fish eg salmon steaks, tuna etc.

Yesterday I made fish cakes with tinned tuna, chopped spring onions and mashed potato fried in a little butter like you do bubble and squeak, served with tender stem broccoli. Today I went into town and popped into Iceland, and came out with a slimming world meal of chicken sagoo which was very disappointing as it was so spicy you couldn't taste anything, I wish I'd bought the pizza I went in for (an occasional naughty treat). Followed by fresh raspberries.
Tomorrow will be a beef stew with sweet potato mash, same again Monday and Tuesday probably, there seems to be a lot of meat there!
After that I will definitely revert to vegetarian meals for a week.

loopylou Sun 14-Feb-16 06:36:12

Last night was homemade faggots, mash, peas and broccoli, today is a chicken roast and all the trimmings.

Pittcity Sun 14-Feb-16 08:13:18

Sausage, mash, veg and gravy yesterday. Roast Pork, roast spuds veg snd gravy today.
Same meal in a different presentation really!

Gagagran Sun 14-Feb-16 08:26:18

Yesterday was home-made kedgeree with smoked haddock, rice, peas, hard boiled eggs, curry powder and a lump of butter. Easy and tasty.

Today might be a "bizza" day (bits of this and that) as I don't feel like cooking and there are all sorts of odd (but nice) things to eat up in the fridge!

Greyduster Sun 14-Feb-16 08:48:15

Yesterday we had a rather filling home made soup for lunch so we had a pizza later in the evening. Today will be chicken breasts stuffed with Stilton cheese, wrapped in Parma ham, with a cream sauce, Rossi potatoes and broccoli. It is DH's favourite. There may or may not be a pudding.

annsixty Sun 14-Feb-16 09:04:31

Last evening we had the M+S Dine in meal which was a Valentine's special. We had rack of lamb ,rosti potatoes and creamed leeks, the pudding is still in the fridge and tonight it is roast chicken and stuffing with veg.

ninathenana Sun 14-Feb-16 09:43:13

Pork chops, wedges, mushrooms and peas yesterday.
Sunday roast today with chicken and broccoli.

Maranta Sun 14-Feb-16 09:44:10

Last night I had leek and potato bake with local butchers sausages. Tonight I will have the same again.

(And I CBA to work out whether I need an apostrophe or not there!)

Teetime Sun 14-Feb-16 10:10:33

We had lamb shanks on Saturday (I confess M & S as we were working at the golf club all day) and today Skate en Papilotte- really easy nice big chunky middle skate with some ribbonised vegetables , splash of wine , squeeze of lemon, season , wrap well and bake serve with little potatoes- strawberries and 0% Greek yogurt. I often do fish on Sunday for a change.

Daddima Sun 14-Feb-16 10:27:54

Fried chicken for us yesterday ( dipped in condensed chicken soup & egg, then flour, cornflour, garlic powder, paprika, and chilli powder. Leave till it's gooey, then deep fry. Lovely.) Had it with chips, peas, & corn.

Split pea soup, ham boiled in Coca Cola, mashed potatoes,roast potatoes, carrots, and broccoli tonight. Maybe a wee creme brulee if I've room!

Indinana Sun 14-Feb-16 10:44:08

Saturday is DH's curry day, so I'm left to my own devices (I love curry but my flippin' insides don't sad). So yesterday I found some Swedish meatballs in the freezer that I'd made a few weeks ago and forgotten about, and I had them with chips and baked beans. Total comfort food!

Today the menu is roast chicken with cauliflower and broccoli cheese, carrots and sugarsnaps, with new potatoes.

Daddima I love the sound of your fried chicken! Can't do the deep frying (we don't have that facility anymore), but I could probably get away with shallow frying. And ham boiled in Coca Cola? Now that is different!

Tizliz Sun 14-Feb-16 10:51:19

Haven't made fish cakes for a while so that is a good reminder. Like meatballs which I always make with pork but find it hard on my hands because of my arithitis. Love hearing what others cook.

Tonight I am making lentil loaf with baked potatoes. I always put lots of plain yogurt in which stops it being too dry.

Tizliz Sun 14-Feb-16 10:54:39

Arithitis ! That was the spell checker. Arthritis is what I have. Strange how the longer you look at a word the worse the spelling looks

Greyduster Sun 14-Feb-16 11:05:26

Tizliz I would be very interested to see your recipe for lentil loaf, please!

glammanana Sun 14-Feb-16 11:07:44

To day is Roast Chicken and three veg with colcannon mash and roast pots then fresh raspberries and low fat yogurt,raspberries are lovely and plump at the moment and quite delicious.

Charleygirl Sun 14-Feb-16 11:43:52

Tonight and tomorrow night it will be lamb shanks with vegetables and potatoes. The lamb shanks courtesy of M&S.