Gransnet forums

Chat

Pointless activities anyone?

(60 Posts)
NanaandGrampy Mon 02-May-16 09:13:03

I am here listening to Grampy list the things that MUST be achieved before we leave on a long holiday later today .

These are some of them :

Hoover through
Dust and Polish
Ensure bathrooms are pristine.
Change beds

Now I get having to empty the bins or clean out the fridge. But hoovering and dusting when several weeks will pass before we return ???

Is this something everyone does or is Grampy the only one wielding a duster to the last second? Is it reasonable? Or necessary?

What do you do that you think is a pointless activity?

Alea Mon 02-May-16 09:18:07

I couldn't possibly imagine -does still being on GN 2 hours after waking up count?
Cleaning the oven before Christmas so that it can get filthy again, washing the kitchen floor before baking - these are 2 I catch myself doing time and time again.
BTW Wonderful cake (? must copy) and adorable grandson!! Oops, wrong thread.
Have a wonderful time.

oldgoat Mon 02-May-16 09:32:32

I usually muck out the house before we go away so that the neighbour who comes in to do the curtains doesn't see what a slut I am. Also, used to clean the oven before holidays in case we were 'taken' while away - can't be bothered to do that any more.

Charleygirl Mon 02-May-16 09:41:36

I am inclined to agree with oldgoat- it is nice to return to a house that only needs to be dusted. I would stop short at cleaning the oven! I also never have any dirty clothes in my laundry basket and I usually change my bedding the day before I go anywhere.

Juggernaut Mon 02-May-16 09:52:34

I do a quick flick around with a duster, vacuum everywhere, make sure the kitchen and bathroom are pristine, and change the bed linen the day before we go anywhere. If there's time, I try to get all washing done and either tumbled or left on rack in spare bedroom.
All this is done because DS and DDiL pop in to open and close windows, collect the mail etc, and although DS knows I'm a mucky cow, DDiL has yet to find me outblush

Pippa000 Mon 02-May-16 09:52:44

I usually clean everything including the oven before we go away for any length of time, change the bed linen, wash towels and do the laundry. Like Oldgoat, it is in case we never get to come back and someone has to clear the house. sad

dustyangel Mon 02-May-16 09:56:20

Clean fridge, clean sheets and empty laundry basket. Much nicer to come back to.
I wouldn't leave any obvious crumbs etc on the floor but other wise I'm not planning to hoover. I probably won't be able to help myself and wash the kitchen floor before we leave tomorrow and I caught myself thinking I'd dust round the television again before I go and pack. We are only away for a week!

Have a lovely time NanaandGrampy, I'm sure you will have plenty of sunshine.

NanaandGrampy Mon 02-May-16 09:57:49

I think there is a thread running through this ....we do it in case we don't make it back or in case whoever is popping in judges us !!

smile I guess that's why we do it too !!

Alea hats off to you for cleaning the oven though smile and the cake was made in a little set of pans the lady bought from Lakeland ( which is why it looks so even ) the children loved it and the mums were amazed smile

Kittye Mon 02-May-16 10:15:51

I always clean from top to bottom, change bed linen and get up to date on washing and ironing before we go away. I do it for me ! I'd hate to come back to a messy house and have to start cleaning after spending a couple of weeks doing nothing. I have to ease myself back into housework.smile

Jalima Mon 02-May-16 10:23:33

I do all that except for cleaning the oven.
Sometimes DS and family come to stay while we're away, don't want DDIL to think I am mucky!

Jalima Mon 02-May-16 10:26:02

Now on a mission to clear out unnecessary junk - just in case!

Jalima Mon 02-May-16 10:29:08

Remember Kim and Aggie?
I do remember Kim saying that she 'hoovered her way out of the house' when she was going away. So - where did she leave the vacuum cleaner? hmm

trisher Mon 02-May-16 10:29:28

Son staying at the moment I went on holiday and came back to find he had steam cleaned bathroom and kitchen! I always put bleach down sinks, basins and loos before I go. Think it's because my mum used to do it.

Thingmajig Mon 02-May-16 10:39:09

I also try and leave the house in a tidy and reasonably clean state, although I draw the line at doing an actual spring clean!
I used to always change the bedding so we came home to a fresh bed, but as we usually go long-haul these days and arrive back early morning after an overnight (sleepless) flight we jump into bed for a few hours when we get home so don't bother with changing anymore.

Nelliemoser Mon 02-May-16 11:16:53

I never seem to get time to clear up before we go away. OH leaves everything to the last minute.
When I have been off on my own though he does tend to vacuum up before I get home.

Lillie Mon 02-May-16 11:33:24

Definitely the big clean before we go away. I'm sure it's that fear we might not come back, so want the house to look pristine!

Trouble is, as we usually rent holiday homes when we're away I end up doing a big clean at the end of our stay there too. grin

cornergran Mon 02-May-16 11:59:42

Don't think I could relax if the house wasn't good to come back to. No matter how much I tell myself it doesn't matter, it does. I have a count down list. Oh dear. No hope. grin

Badenkate Mon 02-May-16 15:04:45

I like to leave it tidy - and DH is an enthusiastic hooverer so I just let him have his head. We have 2 dogs, so I usually put some of the carpet foam stuff over the carpets so it doesn't smell doggy when we get back. The thought of not coming back and somebody having to come in to clear up had honestly never occurred to me!

Elrel Mon 02-May-16 15:11:21

The only reason I tidy the kitchen before I go out is in case I don't make it back... Same reason for my quick late night tidy of the worst bits of the living room!
Relieved to find I'm not the only one who has that morbid thought in mind!

Jalima Mon 02-May-16 15:13:33

DH always says 'why worry, why get yourself in a stew? - if you don't come back you'll never know what they say about you when they have to clear out the house!'

kittylester Mon 02-May-16 15:18:45

My pointless activities would include making (say) a curry when I could get one exactly the same out of the freezer. Even I don't know why.confused

My cleaner comes in while we are away. blush

Badenkate Mon 02-May-16 16:12:59

I'm now feeling depressed, thanks to all of you, by the thought that I might not get back off holiday next week sad

petra Mon 02-May-16 16:14:40

Please don't laugh, but the last thing I do, literally as we are going out the door is shampoo the carpets. That way I know they are completely dry before we walk on them again.

Jalima Mon 02-May-16 16:19:38

Badenkate sunshine have a safe trip!

petra perhaps you can answer my question further up the thread then. What do you do with the carpet shampooer when you shut the front door? Then I may know what Kim did with the vacuum cleaner. (does it go in the garage or get tidied up by the refuse collectors grin)

petra Mon 02-May-16 16:41:10

jalima yes, it goes in the garage.