Gransnet forums

Chat

Dress Code at The Shard

(40 Posts)
NotTooOld Mon 02-May-16 14:39:28

My SiL took DD to The Shard on Saturday as her requested birthday treat. When they got to the entrance SiL was told he was unlikely to be allowed up to see the view as he was wearing trainers and therefore contravened the dress code! After some negotiation he was allowed in but really! I suspect he would have told them what to do with their dress code except that it was DD's birthday treat.

ninathenana Mon 02-May-16 14:43:21

Oh good grief, I would never have given a though to a ruddy dress code for such a place.
They should certainly make sure it's well advertised.

Charleygirl Mon 02-May-16 14:43:51

Ballgown and tiara for a female? They would be quick to take his money irrespective of what he wore. A first on me.

Elrel Mon 02-May-16 14:45:08

Oh my, what do reprobates in trainers get up to in the Shard?

tanith Mon 02-May-16 15:02:06

On the website it specifically says No dress code to view but the restaurants may well have a dress code and to check before hand.
Maybe someone was being a Jobsworth!

Lillie Mon 02-May-16 17:27:18

If you are going to eat in a "posh - ish" London restaurant it's worth dressing casual, but smart. The same applies to afternoon teas. I went to a London hotel recently with a group of friends and one of the ladies had to rush out and buy a pair of black trousers because she wash't allowed in wearing jeans.

If it was just to see the view at The Shard, then that does seem a bit silly that you can't wear trainers.

Nelliemoser Tue 03-May-16 07:37:50

What if you have bad feet and trainers are the only footwear that are comfortable? I was in this position before I had my bashed hammer toe fixed.

Alima Tue 03-May-16 07:54:13

How very strange. The Shard is in such a mucky area. Might be different when they finish tarting up London Bridge Station. I am surprised the dress code isn't hard hats and hi-vis.

Lillie Tue 03-May-16 08:16:17

Tip - if you're going to walk through "mucky" areas in London in trainers , just pop a pair of court shoes in your bag to go into restaurants, theatres etc. grin

NonnaW Tue 03-May-16 08:40:27

We went to the Shard last year, a Christmas gift from DD. I'm sure I remember reading beforehand about the no trainers rule so we made sure we wore other shoes. It was so spectacular up there, wandering round with a glass of champagne, watching people have afternoon tea, I was quite happy without my beloved trainers!

Witzend Tue 03-May-16 08:52:33

I can understand a no trainers rule, but jeans? Non tatty ones can look smart enough if dressed up a bit. TBH I rarely wear anything else, and have been to some extremely smart London restaurants in them - usually to meet a BIL who lives overseas and wants to meet there when he's in London. Nobody has ever said a word or looked askance.

Though I do remember many moons ago when a dd and a friend of hers both had German exchange students coming to stay. Half term was coming up and the other mother and I thought it'd be nice to take them all to Cornwall for a few days. I found a small 3 star hotel that seemed nice enough - only to find that it said 'no jeans in the dining room'! For a small seaside hotel I thought it barmy, not to mention pretentious - dd and her friends hardly possessed anything else they'd be happy to wear. We didn't go.

harrigran Tue 03-May-16 09:34:58

Yes jeans can look smart and some are very expensive but if you allow someone into a restaurant with £200 jeans on then you can't refuse the other person with the £5 pair on.
The no trainers up the Shard baffles me, I would have thought they were less damaging to the floors than some shoes but as DH has just said to me " it is a subtle way of keeping out the riff raff " nice hmm

annodomini Tue 03-May-16 09:35:28

Supposing the OP's SiL had taken his trainers off, carried them in a bag and gone barefoot? Just asking. hmm

Riverwalk Tue 03-May-16 09:47:58

Surely a misunderstanding on someone's part. Ive twice been up the Shard in trainers.

The bars and restaurants there have dress codes.

I'd say 90% of visitors/tourists to such venues would be wearing trainers to tramp around the streets and stand in queues!

LesleyC Tue 03-May-16 11:39:30

I'm not a jeans or trainer wearer for going anywhere special and my children know not to turn up in theirs either if we are going out for a special meal together. It's not so much the place, but dressing smartly if casually for an occasion. I am surprised if trainers weren't allowed just to view at the Shard.

granjan Tue 03-May-16 11:42:07

It clearly says on the Shards website, there is no dress code and to wear what you feel comfortable in, but advises against stilettos !
The restaurants etc; are a different matter.

lizzypopbottle Tue 03-May-16 12:07:28

I can understand a ban on jeans. Just now, they are fashionably 'distressed' with rips and tears all over them. My current jeans are ripped and patched at the knee because they are worn out (why is it always the left knee that goes?) and I wouldn't dream of wearing them to go somewhere smart but as harrigran points out, if they allow expensive distressed jeans, they have to allow my gardening jeans. As an aside, how can anyone spend good money on jeans that have been ripped by the manufacturer? Emperor's new clothes or what???

I'm going to a do at the weekend (I'm getting a long standing member award ? woo hoo!) and there is a strict dress code. I'm going shopping tomorrow. I just hope I can find something smart but comfortable (and not too expensive) that I'll actually wear again!

Pamish Tue 03-May-16 12:43:21

So as long as they are TROUSERS not jeans (what is the actual difference?) it wouldn't matter if they were ripped? At least they are not insisting on skirts for the laydees.

Yvon Tue 03-May-16 13:21:31

My son and family were refused entry a couple of weeks ago because he was wearing trainers even tho they were new and expensive

Witzend Tue 03-May-16 13:25:34

Jeans that cost £200 or a fiver - how they look will depend so much on the wearer (how much they have bothered with their appearance) and how they've dressed them up - or not. Tatty old baggy jeans that don't fit properly will never look good on anyone.
The skinny jeans I have worn more than once with boots and a nice top to a very smart restaurant in Mayfair cost me £25 in M&S. There was no sign saying, 'Expensive designer jeans only' . smile

Jackthelad Tue 03-May-16 13:57:40

£200 for a pair of hard and dirty work trousers made of tent clothe. They say a fool and his money are soon parted. Denim was the ever day working dress when I was a member of HM Forces and I never want to see or wear them again. Anything is comfortable if you wear it often enough. What is the problem of looking your best in the smartest clothes you have. In the days when we really poor with backside hanging out of our pants we still tried to keep our Sunday "Go to meetings" suit, or is than another of those left wing prejudices that says that must look scruffy. When I accompanied my wife Then I always tried to dress in a manner that best suited the occasion and a credit to her.

Lillie Tue 03-May-16 14:25:56

I agree, looking smart shows respect for those you are with and for other diners too.

GillT57 Tue 03-May-16 15:04:40

I dont think we need to being political prejudice into this jackthelad, this is about dress codes/trainers at The Shard, nothing more, nothing less. Although I dont wear trainers other than when in the gym ( cant stand the look of the damned things,), if The Shard dont wish to admit people wearing trainers, they need to make it clear on their website or their tickets.

Lillie Tue 03-May-16 15:20:48

It is on their website for the main restaurants and bars ............

DRESS CODE
"Dress code is smart casual. Aqua Shard regret that entry will not be allowed to those wearing shorts, flip flops, sports kit or sports shoes."

Viewing only might be a completely different matter??

TheGlovers1 Tue 03-May-16 17:01:46

My Husband and I went to the view at the Shard last Autumn he wore trainers for comfort as we were spending the day in London .Nothing was said to him about his foot ware .