Gransnet forums

Chat

Still caring for children with SEN

(11 Posts)
2old2beamum Mon 02-May-16 21:30:41

I am sure I am not the only one here for children here with SEN. The oldest 3 are brilliant (Down Syndrome) 36,31, &27.
The youngest 2 DS 17 deafblind cerebral palsy epilepsy and tube fed, DD 10 Emanuel Syndrome SLD, tube fed, colostomy and needs weekly infusions (done by me)
At present we get 5 nights /month respite so we can do "adult" things with the older 3. Have been told when DS reaches 18 his respite will be halved. DH and I straddle 70 and I am fuming. How remiss of school not to teach him to change his pads, administer his numerous drugs and give his own suppositories.shock
TBH they are all adopted but I do feel let down,
Thanks for rant

Anya Mon 02-May-16 22:46:52

I couldn't do what you are doing, but I salute you both.

It is pathetic and cruel that you, and others with children with disabilities, are not supported to the full. angry

ninathenana Mon 02-May-16 23:25:39

Well done to you and your DH. Your children are so lucky to have you.
I'm not surprised you feel the need to rant.

grannyactivist Tue 03-May-16 01:42:23

2old2beamum I'm not surprised you feel let down! If you adopted through an agency rather through social services then I suggest you get in touch and ask them if there is any support they can offer you - if it was Adopt Anglia/Coram they offer support for as long as required I think. At the very least it would be helpful if the social services were to be engaged in 'succession' planning as you begin to think about making arrangements for your children when you are no longer able to care for them. Do you also have other children who may want to be involved in decision making regarding the ongoing care of their siblings?

I salute you as I know the cost (and also the joys) involved with taking on 'hard to place' children. flowers

2old2beamum Tue 03-May-16 10:37:55

Thank you so much for your responses.
grannyactivist Strangely enough DS was placed by Adopt Anglia so I will contact them. The only "positive" is that he gets Continuing Health Care but apparently with adults you cannot have health and social care funding ?????
I am sorry I sound so grumpy as they are all fantastic and our lives have been enriched by our family. (Oh dear now I sound all sloppy)

Thanks to you all

ninathenana Tue 03-May-16 11:19:03

You don't sound grumpy. ? You sound justifiably frustrated.
flowers

TriciaF Tue 03-May-16 13:32:01

What a job you've got! And how lucky they are to have parents like you.
I think sometimes when your children are so dependent on you, you love them more. But there's a limit to human energy.
Thank God there are people about like you and your husband, with such warm hearts.

grannyactivist Tue 03-May-16 16:41:51

It was an informed guess 2old2be. I hope you get the support you so badly need with the help of Adopt Anglia; an organisation I knew well at one stage in my working career.

2old2beamum Tue 03-May-16 18:31:28

Hi grannyactivist I did ring Coram/Adopt Anglia and spoke to a helpful young man who said he would pass our details to their postadoption team so we shall see!
I do feel guilty about being stroppy but he and DD need so much care the eldest 3 get no adult activities and they ask for so little.

Nelliemoser Tue 03-May-16 18:36:59

2old2 are you just relying on disabilty benefits or do you get any extra adoption allowance because the younger ones are severely disabled?

2old2beamum Wed 11-May-16 22:33:02

Sorry for delay., the oldest 3 have been ill with a "chesty bug"
Yes we do get an adoption allowance which we use for suitable wheelchairs (another big gripe) and sensory equipment.
Adopt Anglia have said they cannot really help but will back us, but have said DS will be eligible for adoption allowance whilst in education until he is 25, but sadly 2 weeks adoption allowance will not cover 1 night in respite!.

Sorry to sound grumpy......the 2 youngest are in respite we booked 3 nights in a "posh" hotel the 2 eldest are too poorly to go posh both coughing and bauking all over the place.
Thanks for reading X