Gransnet forums

Chat

Packing Away Winter Garb

(102 Posts)
wot Tue 03-May-16 14:07:37

I've already packed away half of my winter clothes as don't have enough room for winter and summer in my wardrobes. Am I going to regret it? I think if I leave a couple of wooly pullys and a fleece or two available it should be okay. Oh, what I'd give for a huge, walk in wardrobe!!

wot Tue 03-May-16 14:09:07

And maybe keep a couple of sets of thermals handy????

whitewave Tue 03-May-16 14:11:24

No!!! I feel it in my bones this summer is going to be a cracker?

wot Tue 03-May-16 14:18:17

Dear Mum used to say something like "Don't cast a clout 'til May is out!"

wot Tue 03-May-16 14:20:04

Oh, that would be lovely!! Mind you, as a moaning Minnie, I can't stand it too hot either. [Unless I'm lucky enough to be beside a swimming pool!]

pensionpat Tue 03-May-16 14:20:47

Wot. Is it the month of May, or the May in the hedgerows?

PRINTMISS Tue 03-May-16 15:10:59

pensionpat that, I think has always been the question.

wot Tue 03-May-16 15:26:51

Oh! Did mum mean the progress of the season rather than literally May?? Duh!
I am a bit thick. Anyway, my hawthorn isn't blossoming yet. I wonder if my mum knew what the true meaning was. [I was mighty glad to be able to leave the Liberty bodices off!]

wot Tue 03-May-16 15:29:36

What is a clout??

Teetime Tue 03-May-16 15:33:01

I am not putting any winter things away as I don't think its going to get any warmer or drier or less windy. I have given up!!!sad

BBbevan Tue 03-May-16 15:42:40

I think a clout was a sort of vest. Bit like a liberty bodice!!!

wot Tue 03-May-16 15:43:25

Thanks, BBbevan!

wot Tue 03-May-16 15:47:21

I think we use lots of "sayings" without even knowing the meaning of the words. It's quite interesting to think about the meaning of those words though. Some of them are not used in everyday language. Only in the sayings. I can't think of any off-hand though, annoyingly. Maybe those sayings are the only things keeping those words alive.
Perhaps I should "get out more"

NotTooOld Tue 03-May-16 16:00:02

Doesn't 'clout' just mean 'cloth' or, in this case, an item of clothing?

obieone Tue 03-May-16 16:02:32

Having had to accompany someone househunting in the last few days, that is what I have noticed most. The difference in houses concerning wardrobe space! I come home and realise my wardobe space is about 1/3 the size of some other peoples' for roughly the same size of house.

pensionpat Tue 03-May-16 16:03:35

Don't they have a cloutie dumpling in Scotland? A pudding wrapped in a clout which was a cloth. Maybe an old vest. I think it us for a birthday celebration.

Elegran Tue 03-May-16 16:04:44

In Scotland a cloth is a clout, pronounced cloot. There is the dish-clout for wiping the table. Then there is a thing called a clootie dumpling - a rich fruit suet pudding boiled or steamed in a cloth, very nice with custard in the middle of winter.

I suppose the saying means "Don't cast off a layer too soon in the year" For some reason I am reminded of Andy Stewart singing "The muckin' o' Geordie's byre" which he translated as "The cleansing of George's cowshed"

Elegran Tue 03-May-16 16:05:33

X posts, pensionpat

Thingmajig Tue 03-May-16 16:07:34

I've done the swap-over already too, mostly cos the husband went into the loft and brought the luggage down a whole month before we go away! It worked out well though as the recent good weather meant that I have washed everything and put it all away. :-)
Living on the west coast of Scotland, I always keep a few fleeces handy though! sad

wot Tue 03-May-16 16:40:37

although i wash everything before I pack it away, it always smells musty when I get it out again! Maybe not worth ironing it before storing??

Soniah Tue 03-May-16 16:54:27

clothes

moira13 Tue 03-May-16 17:02:21

Liberty vest - that takes me back a few years. Are such things still available or have we all moved on to thermals?

moira13 Tue 03-May-16 17:04:50

Liberty vests - that takes me back a few years. Do such things still exist or have we all moved on to thermals?

Charleygirl Tue 03-May-16 17:07:14

I think that it was only our generation who had the trackle of wearing a liberty bodice. There is the Scots in me coming out with trackle!

Cherrytree59 Tue 03-May-16 17:12:36

Oh dear, I don't have any winter clothes to pack away.
As I'm mostly looking after GC I wear tee shirts and jeans with a fleece over the top
When it get warm I just take the fleece off.
I do wear Gillet (is that how you spell it) instead of a fleece when it gets warmer.
So only my winter coat and several pairs of boots to make way for a lghter jacket and sandles/ flitflops
Only on holiday do I wear dresses.