Gransnet forums

Chat

Help! My daughter can't marry Mr Willey

(132 Posts)
MoBrown Fri 06-May-16 10:39:32

My DD has been going out with a very nice chap for the past year or so and it appears things are getting serious. She used to simply refer to him as Bill (not his real name) and never mentioned his last name and but I never really noticed. Now things are getting serious and they are moving in together. I'm assuming (hoping!) that a proposal is not too unlikely in the future... But it turns out his surname is Willey. And paired with hers will be even more hilarious. He's quite a traditional sort - so is she in some ways - and if it ever was to happen I'm quite sure she would take his name.
I'm saying this sort of tongue in cheek of course. I'm very grateful that they've found each other and he seems a lovely boy. But still.... grin

gillybob Fri 06-May-16 10:42:32

Oh dear I couldn't have married a Mr Willey either MoBrown I would never be able to talk anyone my name was Gilly Willey grin

Could pronounce it While-ee I suppose. hmm

gillybob Fri 06-May-16 10:43:30

Oops I meant tell anyone, not talk anyone .

harrigran Fri 06-May-16 10:55:39

Now my brain is in overdrive as to what your DD's forename is grin

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 06-May-16 11:00:40

Never mind the name. Could be the start of many future amusing conversations.

Good that she's found someone. smile

Marmight Fri 06-May-16 11:01:01

Reminds me of Brian Johnson's famous quote ' The bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willey' grin

harrigran Fri 06-May-16 11:01:54

Oh yes, I remember the cricket commentary grin

Indinana Fri 06-May-16 11:16:17

Oh dear, I do hope your DD's name isn't Ophelia shock

pollyperkins Fri 06-May-16 12:23:05

Or Rosie? Tilly? Milly?

Kittye Fri 06-May-16 12:42:23

Indinana that did make me giggle grin

chelseababy Fri 06-May-16 13:08:34

My mum is Wilhelmina and known as Willy, some people find it awkward!

Alima Fri 06-May-16 13:18:04

Do you mean paired as in double-barrelled? Could be Small-Willey, Little Willey etc? Is his name William Willey or is he Bill because of Willey? So many questions unanswered MoBrown. (Not that I have room to talk regarding my surname!)

Greyduster Fri 06-May-16 13:23:07

I went to school with a boy called Willey. His first name was Roger shock! I don't think either name had the same connotation in those days.....

Synonymous Fri 06-May-16 13:33:06

If it makes people smile so what. It can be a good conversation starter!

I have noticed in our own family, which has a very odd name, that all the marriages are very strong and solid and I suppose that is natural when you have had to really think whether you can wear that name for the rest of your days and hand it on to your children. My mother just said to me, "Well dear, that must be love" and it still is smile

merlotgran Fri 06-May-16 13:35:31

Ophelia Brown-Willey would be the stuff of nightmares for a teacher reading the register. grin

Morghew70 Fri 06-May-16 14:00:38

My son is astonished that I know a man called Richard Head - I had to explain that 80 years ago 'Dickhead' wasn't a word - at least not that I knew of!

Marty Fri 06-May-16 14:18:30

My friend's fathers name was Richard Bird (Dickie Bird) hehe.

NanKate Fri 06-May-16 14:22:15

My friend's daughter kept her name when she got married and her husband changed his name to hers. It's worked well.

ninathenana Fri 06-May-16 14:22:23

Alima the op states that Bill isn't his real name.
I'd be inclined to keep my own surname if I was your daughter. I hope it works out for them.
A friends daughter is Mrs. Pratt which makes me smile (sorry if this applies to you) D went to school with a Michael Hunt who was known as Mike shock grin

Witzend Fri 06-May-16 14:42:13

I wouldn't necessarily mind the name for myself, but I certainly wouldn't want to inflict it on any kids. They can suffer enough teasing anyway.

My dd got hitched last year to a man with a perfectly nice surname, and although she's traditional in many ways she has still kept her own surname, partly for professional reasons and partly because she likes it. Her dh had absolutely no objections. My sister did the same some decades ago and her dh wasn't bothered either.

MoBrown Fri 06-May-16 15:01:20

Oh, I've had tears streaming down my face. Thank you gransnetters! Synonymous, maybe that's all I should say..."Well dear, that must be love"

Her name is not Ophelia (thank heavens!!) pollyperkins you might have guessed correctly. Let's hope she never comes on Gransnet!

Luckygirl Fri 06-May-16 15:08:13

My DD's married name is truly horrible - an ugly-sounding name that no-one would have by choice. But she has taken this name - I do not know why - perhaps her OH waned this and she was happy to go along with it. I cringe every time I say it - and she has such a pretty first name.

Synonymous Fri 06-May-16 15:19:59

Yes, Mo, I think my mother was a very wise lady. It is hard enough to take the plunge and wear an odd name without your own mother making it more difficult. In any case I think you get to the point when if you keep saying whatever name it is it often ends up sounding pretty odd.

My DDIL is a very special lady and thinks absolutely nothing of it, just laughs and says it could have been so much worse and in any case it's the man who counts! smile

Marelli Fri 06-May-16 15:30:44

It would be terrible if your DD decided on a double-barrelled name when she got married - if her present surname was Smellie (quite common in this part of Scotland). grin

GrannyGrypton Fri 06-May-16 17:13:20

We once went to see the headmaster of a school we were thinking about sending DS to whose name was Mr Shaw-Twilley. I kid you not, that is the God's honest truth!